Exclusives of the generation?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Angry_Kurt

Re: Exclusives of the generation?

Post by Angry_Kurt »

To be honest I regret buying my PS4 Pro as I didn't think it was a huge step up from my standard model. The One X on the other hand I have been majorly impressed by. I can't compare it to the original One or One S as I owned neither of them. But against the standard PS4 and even PS4 Pro I personally thought it was a big step up. I played Red Dead 2 on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and thought the difference was quite remarkable and I was using the same TV.

If you were interested in picking up a One X, Amazon are currently selling refurbished ones for £180 which is a bonafide bargain for such a great piece of tech.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've only felt the ps4 pro improved psvr really and was a bit quieter.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

HaloFandango wrote: August 21st, 2020, 8:34 am Bloodborne stands out! I only ever hear great things about this game from the Internet and for some people, it is the pinnacle entry in the Soulsborne/Sekiro series of games. Why on earth From Software hasn't capitalised on this and made a Bloodborne 2, I don't know.
Direct sequels have not been "modern" FROM's most loved work, if Dark Souls is anything to go by. I think this is a team that likes building on the core mechanics they established in Demon's Souls, but like to keep the setting fresh. Personally, I kind of like that they do this. Bloodborne's story is elegant and self contained and I think exploring it further would be retractive, rather than additive.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

HaloFandango wrote: August 21st, 2020, 8:37 am Out of interest, what changes have you seen playing Xbox One games on the X compared to the original Xbox One and S models (if you have those at all)?
I owned a launch Xbox One originally and the bump in resolution alone has been a huge step up. If you think the standard Xbox One (including the One S) probably hits around 900p/1600 x 900 give or take on more demanding games, the fact that the One X regularly delivers native 4K/2160p/3840 x 2160 much of the time is a massive bump in pure pixel count

For me HDR is just as big a step up though, as it adds so much more depth and contrast to the image. I believe this can be done on the One S as well (can't vouch for it as never used one), but it's not a capability of the original Xbox One as far as I understand it. The only tricky thing with HDR is that all HDR TVs are not created equal, and just because the TV has the badge doesn't mean it's actually any good at delivering it. Many of the lower end sets in reality have a much more limited range, and don't really deliver the full experience when compared to even some of the decent mid-range options, plus getting your set configured correctly can make a big difference too.

Love nerding out on techy bollocks! :lol: :ugeek:
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Combine Hunter wrote: August 21st, 2020, 10:45 am
HaloFandango wrote: August 21st, 2020, 8:34 am Bloodborne stands out! I only ever hear great things about this game from the Internet and for some people, it is the pinnacle entry in the Soulsborne/Sekiro series of games. Why on earth From Software hasn't capitalised on this and made a Bloodborne 2, I don't know.
Direct sequels have not been "modern" FROM's most loved work, if Dark Souls is anything to go by. I think this is a team that likes building on the core mechanics they established in Demon's Souls, but like to keep the setting fresh. Personally, I kind of like that they do this. Bloodborne's story is elegant and self contained and I think exploring it further would be retractive, rather than additive.
Definitely and I agree with your points there. Moving their core mechanics to different games and settings certainly keeps things fresh and the whole "sequelitis" thing doesn't kick in. It probably helps the dev team as well with morale by keeping them challenged and to try new settings.

On the other hand, a lot of fans do like it when further installments of a game they love expand on the current universe or go into more detail on events that occurred in the prior game/games. For me, if Bungie only made one Halo game, I'd be of course happy, because Halo 1 is fantastic, but at the same time, I'd want to know more about the amazing world and lore that they built in that game.

That's probably the crux of the matter, where dev teams/publishers always have to weigh up building something new or keep expanding on what they already have. Plus some fans can be very hard/impossible to please, so you may as well not even try. ;)
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: August 21st, 2020, 12:43 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 21st, 2020, 8:37 am Out of interest, what changes have you seen playing Xbox One games on the X compared to the original Xbox One and S models (if you have those at all)?
I owned a launch Xbox One originally and the bump in resolution alone has been a huge step up. If you think the standard Xbox One (including the One S) probably hits around 900p/1600 x 900 give or take on more demanding games, the fact that the One X regularly delivers native 4K/2160p/3840 x 2160 much of the time is a massive bump in pure pixel count

For me HDR is just as big a step up though, as it adds so much more depth and contrast to the image. I believe this can be done on the One S as well (can't vouch for it as never used one), but it's not a capability of the original Xbox One as far as I understand it. The only tricky thing with HDR is that all HDR TVs are not created equal, and just because the TV has the badge doesn't mean it's actually any good at delivering it. Many of the lower end sets in reality have a much more limited range, and don't really deliver the full experience when compared to even some of the decent mid-range options, plus getting your set configured correctly can make a big difference too.

Love nerding out on techy bollocks! :lol: :ugeek:
Thanks for elaborating! That was a really interesting read! The One S from what I read can do HDR in games and 4K Blu-ray output from what I read, but those were basically the main differences. The One X is where it is at and it is a shame (but understandable with new consoles coming soon) that they stopped production. I know Killer Instinct got a nice 4K patch with the One X, so I would love to see that game at 4K!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

The One X is being sold on Amazon for £180 at the minute, refurbished though. Still a great price imo.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

My top exclusives from every home console of this generation (so far). I'll also include games that launched exclusively, even if they didn't stay exclusive, like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Cuphead.

PS4
1. Bloodborne
2. Shadow of the Colossus (2018)
3. Astro Bot Rescue Mission

XBO
1. FRU
2. Fantasia: Music Evolved (also on 360, but exclusive to MS systems)
3. Ori and the Blind Forest

Wii U
1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
2. Bayonetta 2
3. Hyrule Warriors

Switch
1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2. Super Mario Odyssey
3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Though ARMS, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Breath of the Wild are very close.

PC exclusives in the same time period
1. Kentucky Route Zero (again, was exclusive for a long time at first)
2. Disco Elysium
3. Hexcells Infinite
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:35 am The One X is being sold on Amazon for £180 at the minute, refurbished though. Still a great price imo.
That's certainly a great price! I live in Japan at the moment, but you can find Xbox One X's for around that same price on Amazon Japan.