What do you think about the Resident Evil timeline?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

What do you think about the Resident Evil timeline?

Post by HaloFandango »

Having a gander on Eurogamer recently brought this article to my attention:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020 ... ire-series

Its an interesting piece and TheBatMan who wrote everything put a ridiculous amount of time into the Resident Evil timeline.

You can find the timeline here:

http://residentevilpodcast.com/timeline/

What do you guys and gals think about the timeline of Resident Evil? Does it make sense to you? Is it madness?

I for one, love it! The overall story that Capcom have crafted from Resident Evil 0 to Resident Evil 7 (as well as the spin-off titles), with multiple characters re-appearing in various games and the overarching silliness of everything is just grand. Plus, all of the creepy elements they added in in RE7 and all the messed-up experiments Umbrella run.
Spoiler: show
I mean, you only need to look at characters like Salazar and all the stuff that goes down in Resident Evil 5 (Wesker throws FREAKING MISSILES at you ;) )
ReprobateGamer

Re: What do you think about the Resident Evil timeline?

Post by ReprobateGamer »

I'm always a sucker for these kind of projects and it's clear that a lot of time and effort has gone into this - I have a feeling I caught this some time ago whilst it was worked upon so had already seen part of it - that or someone else has already something similar

Resident Evil as well remains one of my more important game franchises so I definitely will be coming back to it. The timelime is madness - but that ties into the B-movie schlock of the series so ...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Got lost down a rabbit hole there. Good stuff
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I saw that too, really impressive compilation by TheBatman.

I like most of the Resi lore I'm aware of, they've always had a mix of B-movie spooks and this barmy, overarching dark science plot that connects the games. But it's always the strength of the individual scenarios and settings of each game on which the lore and timeline live or die for me.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: August 17th, 2020, 10:48 am I'm always a sucker for these kind of projects and it's clear that a lot of time and effort has gone into this - I have a feeling I caught this some time ago whilst it was worked upon so had already seen part of it - that or someone else has already something similar

Resident Evil as well remains one of my more important game franchises so I definitely will be coming back to it. The timelime is madness - but that ties into the B-movie schlock of the series so ...
The B-movie schlock is definitely what makes these games so appealing. If you have played Resident Evil 7, would you say that game is more akin to a slasher movie? The speedruns of this game are really interesting to watch. I really want to play Resi 7, I just need to hunt down a copy.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

DomsBeard wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:16 am Got lost down a rabbit hole there. Good stuff
You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland...and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. :lol:
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Jon Cheetham wrote: August 17th, 2020, 1:30 pm I saw that too, really impressive compilation by TheBatman.

I like most of the Resi lore I'm aware of, they've always had a mix of B-movie spooks and this barmy, overarching dark science plot that connects the games. But it's always the strength of the individual scenarios and settings of each game on which the lore and timeline live or die for me.
Definitely, I would certainly say each game stands on its own, while also adding additional lore and backstory to the overarching story.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

HaloFandango wrote: August 19th, 2020, 5:38 am The B-movie schlock is definitely what makes these games so appealing. If you have played Resident Evil 7, would you say that game is more akin to a slasher movie? The speedruns of this game are really interesting to watch. I really want to play Resi 7, I just need to hunt down a copy.
I've played Beginning Hour - interestedly I bounced hard from that demo. It did absolutely nothing for me - nor for my Resident Evil fangirl wife. Though it's the game that triggered her motion nausea the quickest from any game we've tried in first person...

I've read through at least one summary of the game somewhere so know how it fits - possibly gone through a long play picture/text version as well as I've seen a number of stills from throughout the game.

And it still just does not appeal to me.

If you are looking to play it and have a Game Pass subscription, I believe it's due to be available from early September. I'm sure we will try again if that is the case.

I will say actually that the visual designs of RE6 are not a high point either - it all looks far too 'wet'

For us, there is a tonal shift that started with RE6 and the Revelations games that has continued into RE7 where the 'schlock' has ceased to be the focus - like it's trying to respond to the gamut of first person horror inspired games (From Outlast and Amnesia to Emily Wants To Play and even the Five Nights At Freddie's franchise) rather than remain to it's starting focus.

As I write this, I'm thinking this applies to a lot of the action horror games of that era - Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Alone In The Dark, Obscure and even one's that took their cue from them (Parasite Eve 2, etc) - it's a game style that just is not on the market at the moment

Village seems to be following in RE7's footsteps but I'm thinking now that I'd like to try out something like Daymare and see how I feel about a more modern version of those 3rd person games.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

RE7 is headed to gamepass soonish if that helps you Mr Halo
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

ReprobateGamer wrote: August 21st, 2020, 4:55 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 19th, 2020, 5:38 am The B-movie schlock is definitely what makes these games so appealing. If you have played Resident Evil 7, would you say that game is more akin to a slasher movie? The speedruns of this game are really interesting to watch. I really want to play Resi 7, I just need to hunt down a copy.
I've played Beginning Hour - interestedly I bounced hard from that demo. It did absolutely nothing for me - nor for my Resident Evil fangirl wife. Though it's the game that triggered her motion nausea the quickest from any game we've tried in first person...

I've read through at least one summary of the game somewhere so know how it fits - possibly gone through a long play picture/text version as well as I've seen a number of stills from throughout the game.

And it still just does not appeal to me.

If you are looking to play it and have a Game Pass subscription, I believe it's due to be available from early September. I'm sure we will try again if that is the case.

I will say actually that the visual designs of RE6 are not a high point either - it all looks far too 'wet'

For us, there is a tonal shift that started with RE6 and the Revelations games that has continued into RE7 where the 'schlock' has ceased to be the focus - like it's trying to respond to the gamut of first person horror inspired games (From Outlast and Amnesia to Emily Wants To Play and even the Five Nights At Freddie's franchise) rather than remain to it's starting focus.

As I write this, I'm thinking this applies to a lot of the action horror games of that era - Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Alone In The Dark, Obscure and even one's that took their cue from them (Parasite Eve 2, etc) - it's a game style that just is not on the market at the moment

Village seems to be following in RE7's footsteps but I'm thinking now that I'd like to try out something like Daymare and see how I feel about a more modern version of those 3rd person games.
Nice one man and I didn't know about the Beginning Hour demo. The only kind of teaser gameplay I had heard of before that was the KITCHEN demo that was paraded around. RE7, especially in VR, does cause motion nausea for some people. I'm sure as to why, could be something to do with the player camera movement. Plus, you do get sent flying a lot in that game.

Ha ha, agreed, RE6 is very wet and icky. ;)

Yeah, definitely, RE is all about the schlock. It seems like they wanted to make the games more serious and action heavy as things progressed, but the cheese and b-movie style in the older games alone made me want to play through them.

If you have Game Pass, that is the perfect opportunity. What an absolute steal of a service, eh ;)

That's Daymare: 1998, right? :) I had to look it up, as I hadn't heard of the game before. I just watched the release trailer and it seems a great mix of RE4/Revelations style of third person shooting and monster design. Thanks for letting me know man, I'll have to add it to the list. There seems so much depth visually as well and I'm amazed something like this was developed by a small indie team (stuff like this you mostly see from AAA studios, so serious props to them).