Indie games to get excited about

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Indie games to get excited about

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I find a lot of the games I've been anticipating are AAA titles, especially as we're at the doors of a new console generation. I thought it would be fun to have a thread about upcoming Indie games we're excited about or looking forward to.

Mine is Gloomwood, which will be published by New Blood Interactive (known for Dusk and Amid Evil among others). It's an immersive sim, in 3D and first person in the style of Deus Ex, and it is heavily inspired by the Thief series as well as having some Bloodborne flavour. Looks like it will be a banger, basically.

The main developer is on Twitter @TafferKing451 and often posts updates as well as art and clips, and there's a demo of the game available too.
dezm0nd

Re: Indie games to get excited about

Post by dezm0nd »

I really enjoy New Bloods output. Definitely gonna keep an eye on Gloomwood even if the demo didn't inspire me that much

Good shout.

I'm looking forward to Spelunky 2, out soon!
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Looking forward to Sludge Life, The Red Lantern (if that's still actually coming out?) and Cyber Shadow.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Spirit farmer looks interesting and he’s been getting good reviews today
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

The Pathless by Giant Squid and Solar Ash (Kingdom?) by Heart Machine are my two most anticipated games, indie or otherwise. very thankful they'll be released on current-gen consoles, as I have no intention of upgrading.

the traversal and archery mechanics in The Pathless look so fluid and trance-inducing; I imagine I could spend hours just running around the world, totally ignoring the objectives.

I'm also looking forward to a wacky shoot-em-up called Protocorgi I spotted in one of those indie showcase videos. for that one, I'll need to first wait for it to be released, and then wait some more in hopes it gets a physical version. c'est la vie.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've got quite a few I've got my eye on. In terms of stuff not already mentioned...

Tunic is an isometric Zelda-like with a really cool low poly visual style, where you play as a cute little fox character, and it looks to have lot of charm to it.

Sable is an exploration/adventure game it seems, in which you travel around a vast mysterious desert on a cool hover bike. Has a very unique visual style that looks like some kind of arthouse comic book.

Inertial Drift is an arcade racer with a really unique drift mechanic, where you can control the angle of your drift separate from your steering. But with the way both of those things influence each other, there's a load of depth in how you angle your car properly to get around corners. It's got a cool retro neon aesthetic too.

There's others I could go in to as well, but that's enough for now.
shadowless_kick wrote: August 20th, 2020, 3:54 am The Pathless by Giant Squid and Solar Ash (Kingdom?) by Heart Machine are my two most anticipated games, indie or otherwise. very thankful they'll be released on current-gen consoles, as I have no intention of upgrading.
I'm really looking forward to The Pathless and Solar Ash as well. Both look excellent. Not sure what versions I'll get. I doubt I'll get the next gen versions since I don't expect I'll be picking up either console for a while, but I do still want the best versions possible. So PC it is, I guess. I'd really like a physical copy of Solar Ash at least though.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Solar Ash does look really great.

I hadn't heard about Sable, it looks fantastic. Love that art style. I saw it compared to an artist called Jean "Moebius" Girard, and looking at his stuff I've definitely seen it in various places.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Here's one I forgot to mention that I am actually really excited to get my hands on: Chinatown Detective Agency. There are barely any games set in Singapore, a place I really love, and this will be set in Singapore in 2032. It is a cybernoir point and click, apparently inspired by the Carmen Sandiego games although I have not played those.

It features landmarks like the People's Park Centre and Marina Bay Sands. And you replenish your stats by eating a plate of chicken rice at a hawker! The developer is based in Singapore and the voice cast will be local, so I'm hoping for authenticity.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Scrustle wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:33 am Sable is an exploration/adventure game it seems, in which you travel around a vast mysterious desert on a cool hover bike. Has a very unique visual style that looks like some kind of arthouse comic book.
I've been keeping an eye on this game since it was announced in 2017, a long time admirer of Moebius' work this immediately caught my eye due to the use of that distinctive styling/colour palette and upon reading more about the game and what they're trying to do with it has only made me more eager to play it one day.