Black Myth: Wukong

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Black Myth: Wukong

Post by JaySevenZero »

I'm sure there's gonna be a fair amount of chatter around this reveal as the prominent Western sites get wind of it.

Kotaku Australia described it with the following;

"Black Myth is basically a Chinese studio’s crack at a AAA Dark Souls inspired action-adventure, laced with all the Chinese martial arts, monsters and mysticism you’d expect from the name."

I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying it looks really fucking good!
Scrustle

Re: Black Myth: Wu Kong

Post by Scrustle »

Wow, that's really impressive. It's pretty interesting to see this recent surge in Chinese games showing up. They've gradually been getting better over time, and the future looks very promising.

I'm not entirely sure the Dark Souls comparison is the best comparison though. The pace seems too fast for that, and it didn't appear there was any stamina mechanic. Maybe Sekiro is a better comparison. You could even call some parts of that musou.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Saw this doing the rounds on Twitter and it looks great - will definitely be keeping an eye on it!

Will be really interesting to see how the Chinese game dev scene develops over the coming years. It's huge already and there are studios popping up all over the place, but while some are working as support devs on big games already, a lot of the output doesn't make it over to western markets at the moment.

I wonder who will be the first one to really break through and become a big brand AAA studio in the west in their own right. Game Science are certainly making an impression with this game that's for sure!
Nyx-Fontana

Post by Nyx-Fontana »

Just from what they've showed already it looks amazing. They definitely have the art style and graphics down pat, and the gameplay looks right up my alley. I just hope that the story is engaging, i know of 'Journey to the West' but i dont think ive experienced the story in any kind of medium. This looks like it might be taking place before that particular story.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

So far, everything Game Science have shown regarding their game has been kinda awesome and this latest video impressed me even more than their last.
Feirsteax

Re: Black Myth: Wukong

Post by Feirsteax »

Yeah, had my eye on this for a while and it's looking better and better the more I see of it.

Will def be checking it out as it continues development. I love the way you can use the stick to perch atop it like a pole and then slam the whole thing down on your enemy, extended and all for huge reach. I wonder if it will use a kind of unlocking tree or something. Will be interesting to see some of the other mechanics like progression and stuff.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd forgotten about this after being initially impressed, glad to see it's still looking pretty brilliant!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

And we finally have a release date (as much as that's worth these days) of August 24th 2024. Hoping that this delivers the gameplay on top of the superb visuals and creature designs.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This looks incredible, graphically. Hope the gameplay backs it up (seems like it will). Definitely looking forward to this one.

Have you played the Souls/Bloodborne games, Jay? I know you've spoken a lot about various Souls adjacent games, but not sure I've ever heard you talk about the From games (other than Elden).
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79 wrote: December 8th, 2023, 7:15 pm Have you played the Souls/Bloodborne games, Jay? I know you've spoken a lot about various Souls adjacent games, but not sure I've ever heard you talk about the From games (other than Elden).
Yeah, some, Demon's Souls (both versions), Dark Souls, Bloodborne and of course, Elden. I have Dark Souls 2 but haven't got it in me anymore as it looks like ass these days and I skipped Sekiro as it didn't allow grinding. I have to say though, I'm probably just as big a fan of the Team Ninja titles, the two Nioh games and the more recent Wo Long as I am of FromSoftware.