Features you want from the PS5 and Xbox Series X

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Re: Features you want from the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:56 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 25th, 2020, 3:18 am PS5
  • Full disc-based backwards compatibility from PS1 to PS4 with multiple options for upscaling, scanlines, supersampling and so on. In addition, more older PS1,2 and 3 titles being released on the store for download.
  • Use my existing PS4 peripherals on PS5.
  • Full Remote Play with my PS Vita/Smartphone/TV - again a dream with the Vita, since Sony has pretty much stopped all support for it now.
  • The ability to sell my digital games on the PSN store.

:lol:
Ha ha ha, this cracked me up dude!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:36 am For Switch 2 I would love a trophy/achievement system
That would be great! I reckon Nintendo being Nintendo, they'll put an odd spin on it (like the achievements not being tied to your account, but the console itself or something silly like that).
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:16 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 25th, 2020, 7:03 am Of course they have made many games available digitally, but having to buy them again isn't great for customers, especially when you own the originals.

Out of interest Darren, have you used your Xbox One for any backwards compatible stuff? How well did the games run?
Just a correction in case I'm reading this wrong, but you don't have to re-buy any games you already own that are backwards compatible on Xbox One. If you own the game digitally from the X360 days it shows up in your games library ready to download, or if you have a disc from either previous console you can pop in it and run it from there.

You can buy other backwards compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games direct from the digital store front as well of course (not sure if its all or just most of them that are available for purchase).

I use backwards compatibility quite a bit, and can vouch for the brilliant Xbox One X-enhanced Red Dead Redemption having completed a full playthrough in 2018.

It really is brilliant what Microsoft has achieved with not just backwards compatibility but the genuine improvement of older games over recent years. It's great to see them continuing in the same vein with Series X as well.
Aaaa, this was my bad, I probably phrased it wrong ;)
Of course they have made many games available digitally, but having to buy them again isn't great for customers, especially when you own the originals.
I meant on the PS4 store - they had made some of their back catalogue digitally available, but if you want to play a disc-based PS2 game that you own on your PS4, you can't just pop it in. If the game is available digitally on their store, you have to repurchase it again if you want to play it on a PS4.

A good example would be Mark of Kri that Cane and Rinse recently did an episode on. That game was originally released on the PS2 and it is now available on the PS4 store to download digitally. However, if you own a disc-based copy of the game, you sadly can't just pop it into your PS4 and play it. That would have been awesome.

Perhaps Sony should hire the Mednafen, PCSX2 and RPCS3 devs to write them an emulator for PS1,2 and 3 games for the PS5 ;)

I'm definitely envious, really wish I had an Xbox One X at the moment, I wish I was in college again with more disposable income.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:58 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: August 25th, 2020, 9:07 am When playing certain (supported) Xbox and 360 games on Xbox One X you’re effectively getting a free 4K remaster. It’s incredible
This is genuinely the main reason I want to get an Xbox One at some point. I'm hoping the price drops drastically once the new consoles are out, just to play upscaled 360 games again.
It is unlikely, but if Microsoft don't carry on the backwards compatibility work on the Xbox Series X, I can see the Xbox One X going up in price considerably, since that is the only way to play Red Dead Redemption and similar games with upgraded visuals (obviously with the games that came to PC, that is not an issue) and they have recently stopped manufacturing the Xbox One X.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

dezm0nd wrote: August 25th, 2020, 4:45 pm Regarding my Xbox One X and BC, I think its flawless. It's kind of a catch 22 though.

It's near perfect for those games which do work, but I want games on the list which aren't but they're obviously not on the list for a reason, technical maybe being one.

Therefore if they start dropping the quality of performance on the xbox one x with backwards compatibility then it doesnt come across as well
Certainly, as you mentioned before, it would be good if Microsoft could allow the user to just force the use of the emulator with any game, damn the consequences.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:41 pm I would also like all of them to have a better wishlist system and time played tracker. Both just like Steam so that you get emailed when a game on your wishlist is on sale and just a basic time played tracker for each game.
Totally down with that, a systemwide mechanic would be great, similar to Steam. Then it at least gives you some clue as to how many hours you have put into a game.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Flabyo wrote: August 25th, 2020, 8:14 pm One of the few things I do know about the ps3 architecture is that it’s a total clown fiesta. A system designed to first not need a GPU, then redesigned around a custom built GPU it didn’t get, finally bolted to an off the shelf GPU that made everything harder than it needed to be.

I’m sometimes surprised any third party ever got any game to run on it.
Certainly with the PS3, Sony backed themselves into a corner a little bit in terms of support/backwards compatibility for the PS3 in the future. Aside from using PS Now, original hardware or RPCS3 on a PC, there doesn't seem much hope of seeing PS3 emulation running on console hardware. Better pray for more remasters from Bluepoint Games ;)