Hades

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Hades

Post by ratsoalbion »

Currently the best-reviewed game of 2020 so far (source: OpenCritic), just ahead of the likes of the Last of Us Part II, MS Flight Sim, Crusader Kings III and Half-Life: Alyx. As such, it probably deserves its own thread.

On Switch, I've just got beyond the first boss once and am having a good time with it.

It has a deep progression system and a cleverly ongoing dynamic between the various characters of the underworld, the combination of which I am finding compelling.

Combat is fast-paced, responsive and visually fairly clear, given the intricate art style and the Switch's rather fuzzy looking docked image (I haven't played it handheld yet).

I will be tempted to double dip and get it on PC as well once cross-saving has been patched in, as much as anything to see the game at a full 1080p and locked 60fps (the Switch version drops the occasional frame during hectic and busy fights).

While the game does remind me of the studio's previous games, Bastion (which I really liked) and Transistor (which was cool but I didn't connect with it in the same way), this is very much a move into the procedurally generated, Roguelike dungeon-crawler space.

Anyone else on this?
Alex79

Re: Hades

Post by Alex79 »

Blimey, it must be good to warrant its own thread from you! I'm definitely interested in this game, but I'm slightly cautious due to loving almost everything about Bastion and Transistor apart from actually playing them. Transistor I preferred out of the two, but it never held my attention to see it through.

I like the rogue-lite element of this in particular, it's always nice to have 'one of those' on the go to dip in and out of. Is there much of a story tying things together? I think I'll definitely pick this up, but probably one I'll wait for a sale on.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It’s on launch sale. I got it for £14 with some Nintendo loyalty gold.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I really like Supergiant's output (Transistor a bit less so), so I put this on my Switch watchlist when I saw it was released and didn't even look at reviews. Good to see it doing really well.

Love Darren Korb's soundtracks too, but I'm avoiding listening to this one until I hear it in game first.

I'm a bit torn on whether to play it on my aging laptop or on Switch, the laptop will probably drop frames too.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I just played Transistor and thought it was cracking. Definitely interested in Hades, looks like a good one to have on the go on the Switch.

From what I've read about this the roguelike element plays into the story as well, so that after each run you get more narrative and side stuff. Seems like a clever approach, that would also take the sting out of dying.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Played a few hours of this on Switch last night, got up to the second boss.

It's fantastic. The art style, the fast-paced combat, the boons and weapons customisation, the voice acting, music and writing... it is all of an exceptionally high calibre and quality. The game is incredibly more-ish, every failed run or "escape" provides more story, more character interactions, more weapons and upgrades when you get back to Zagreus' pad, and the lightning pace of play makes it difficult to put down in the middle of a run.

Both the action and the dialogue are regularly putting a grin on my face with this one. It's a banger.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I've been playing it since last year, the early access is the only thing I've actually spent money on in the Epic store. I love it. I love rouge-likes, but sometimes don't get along with them unless they have a decent level of inter-run progressing, and I feel like Hades hits that mark fantastically. Each run gets easier, to a point, and there are some powerful combinations of upgrades you can start a run with, but the overall challenge of the game just has to be learned. I've cleared a few runs now, but it almost always feels like I'm just barely surviving, and it never stops being a satisfying challenge.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I don't really get on with rougelikes - got bored with Dead Cells after a couple of hours. But this does look really, really good.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I'm really, really enjoying this. I actually prefer playing it in handheld mode rather than docked. It just feels more direct or something. Love most things about it.

Got to the fourth boss for the second time last night. Big spoilers for that ahead.
Spoiler: show
I had a poor set of upgrades until I picked up a new one from Athena, I think, in Elysium. If I was out of revives my HP would slowly regenerate in battle if I avoided being hit. This is the only reason I got past Asterius and Thesius as I really struggle with those two.

Then I reached Hades himself. Last time he destroyed me quickly. This time I played super cautiously to keep my health high and eventually wore him down. I started to celebrate, then I seen his sliver of health.

No. No. NO. NO!! SECOND PHASE!!!

He damn near took me out in seconds. Got to grips with him but could rarely restore my health back over 100. Once it had even dropped to 1. He eventually got me when he had about 1/3 of his health left. I left myself too far from cover when he started the big circle of lasers.
It was a fair death and I'm excited for my next run today.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I love playing this in handheld mode, although docked does give an advantage in some of the busier fights. It's currently the default thing I open on my Switch anyway. Also, 20-30 minutes to do a run or a few areas of Hades at the end of the day is about all I can squeeze in at the moment so it's good timing to have this on the go.

The more I play this the more I want to play it. Every run there's a new Boon or synergy that gives me ideas for fresh strategies or just breaks some aspect of the combat in a very fun and satisfying way.

I focused on the spear for a few runs because I felt very strongly that this was going to be the weapon I'd beat the final boss with... Currently back to trying different weapons and set-ups while doing Heat Runs for resources. Fists with a chill effect to slow your enemies down while you pummel them is very fun, the second boss just crumbled. Still very much feel like I've only scratched the surface, in terms of both systems and story.
Spoiler: show
Also in that boss fight with Hades, the first time his health bar refilled I thought, I knew it! But when the music kicked up a gear and all these thrash metal riffs started up, and Hades starts firing lasers in all directions... It was such a badass moment that I didn't even mind seeing my victory snatched away.