PSN Digital 'Day One' Sales

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Dante Fireseed

PSN Digital 'Day One' Sales

Post by Dante Fireseed »

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/psn-to-of ... -one/4386/
When a game is published at retail, there’s manufacturing and distribution costs that have resulted in the now-standard $59.99 price point. How come we’re still paying full price for those games in digital forms, then? The biggest reason is that nobody wants to cross retail partners, who are still important to the industry ecosystem.

Sony, alongside several major third-party publishers, are about to cross that line with the new “PSN Day 1 Digital” program. The new service will offer games like NBA 2K13 and Dishonored, alongside several others, for $53.99 on the same day they’re available at retail shops like Best Buy and GameStop for $59.99.

There are some catches, though.

One, you have to be a PlayStation Plus subscriber ($50 per year), and you have to pre-order the game. Within those two caveats, however, those games and more will be available cheaper via PSN.

The full list, as announced by Sony today, is below, including details on games that aren’t cheaper:

Resident Evil 6 (Available for download on October 2 - $59.99)
NBA 2K13 (Available for download on October 2 - $59.99/$53.99 for PLUS members, with pre-order)*
Dishonored (Available for download on October 9 - $59.99/$53.99 for PLUS members, with pre-order)*
DOOM 3: BFG Edition (Available for download on October 16 - $39.99/$35.99 for PLUS members, with pre-order)*
007: Legends (Available for download on October 16 - $59.99)+
Medal Of Honor: Warfighter (Available for download on October 23 - $59.99)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (Available for download on October 30 - $59.99/$53.99 for PLUS members, with pre-order)*
Assassin’s Creed III (Available for download on October 30 - $59.99)*

The asterisk means those games are available for pre-order. Resident Evil 6, for example, is not. The + means the 10% discount (in this case, 007: Legends for PS Plus members) is available for a week after launch.

Basically, there are a bunch of options for publishers who want to opt-in to this program.

This is a big moment for the relationship between platform holders, publishers, and retail. I’m curious to see how (if) retail responds. And it’s one more reason Sony’s making Xbox Live seem like a joke.
This is very interesting, I hope that this isn't US only. The prospect of being able to purchase games on day one at a slightly discounted price is very enticing. There arn't too many games I buy on day one anyway, preferring to wait for the inevitable sales either online or on steam, but to be able to download on day one for say £35, instead of relying on retailers is worth considering. I have to say shop to are brilliant at making sure you get any games on time, but this could be another option for PS Plus subscribers.

Another nail in the coffin of brick and mortar stores, as if they didn't have enough already!
Sean

Re: PSN Digital day one Sales

Post by Sean »

It'll be really interesting to see how this plays out. Pretty bold move on Sony's part, but, I'd love to see it take off.

Unfortunately for me, the only one of those I want day one is AC3, but, if this continues next year when all the big games are actually coming out, then, ohhhhhh man.

Strange though, that, none of Sony's first party stuff is on this list (LBPKarting, All Stars). Although, I suppose you could argue Vita's been doing it since day one.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

To be honest these new discounted prices are still nowhere near the price which you can get on say Amazon or Shopto on release day with postage included. On PSN it seems that you can do a direct 1 dollar = 1 euro conversion so that leaves those pre-orders at around the 53euro mark. Where for example, last week i got Borderlands 2 from Amazon for around 43euros(conversion rate differs from time to time as everyone knows), roughly 10euros cheaper than what the PSN offer would be.
Also, like many, i have more shelf space than hard drive space at the minute, so therefore it makes more sense to have the boxed version. Another plus is that i can sell it on if i want.
While i applaud PSN for there price reductions, they are gauging them off the day one full retail price, a price i dont think too many people on here have ever paid for a new game.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Indiana747 wrote:To be honest these new discounted prices are still nowhere near the price which you can get on say Amazon or Shopto on release day with postage included. On PSN it seems that you can do a direct 1 dollar = 1 euro conversion so that leaves those pre-orders at around the 53euro mark. Where for example, last week i got Borderlands 2 from Amazon for around 43euros(conversion rate differs from time to time as everyone knows), roughly 10euros cheaper than what the PSN offer would be.
Also, like many, i have more shelf space than hard drive space at the minute, so therefore it makes more sense to have the boxed version. Another plus is that i can sell it on if i want.
While i applaud PSN for there price reductions, they are gauging them off the day one full retail price, a price i dont think too many people on here have ever paid for a new game.
Yes it's all about how this will convert, usually shop to or amazon day one prices are between £35 to £39 in my experience, so if it's more than that then it'll be pointless. Me personally, I'd rather have a copy on my HDD as large HDD's in a ps3 are now dirt cheap (1 TB for £70) and i'd rather that than collect huge piles of discs, but that's my personal opinion I accept.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Yes indeed, its good to have the choice. I reckon the conversion price to pounds will be between £40-£45 even with the PS+ discount. I agree though, its a step in the right direction. The 1TB hard drive is gonna be the size needed alright. My 320gig is almost full now & i havent even downloaded half the free PS+ games to date. If digital downloads are to become uniform though, service providers will have to look seriously at lifting or increasing monthly gigabyte caps. Mine is 40gigs per month & i quite regularly exceed that, costing me even more. :x
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

EU PSN did have Borderlands 2 up for pre order at £39.99, which considering that's the price you'd pay at retail, was good value for the convenience of having it digitally.
If the releases stay around that price it will be a good service but SSX was added to PSN this week for £57.99 which is a joke.
Indiana747

Re: PSN Digital 'Day One' Sales

Post by Indiana747 »

Well i dont know what conversion rate PSN are using for £s to €s cause its €59.99 on the Irish PSN store, which is an absolutely ridiculous price for a digital copy of a game that cannot be sold on. Just my opinion, but i think their pricing of new releases is a joke in countries with the euro as a currency.