Are you genuinely excited for Xbox Series X|S & PS5?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
raisinbman

Re: Are you genuinely excited for Xbox Series X|S & PS5?

Post by raisinbman »

The fun part of being a patient gamer is when you DO make that leap to next gen, it looks that much better. Probably a cane and rinse credo, definitely a r/patientgamers one
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ha, oddly enough I stumbled across that patient gamers subreddit a couple of weeks back. It's quite good.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've pre ordered a series s but I wouldn't say I'm overly excited for it. It sort of feels like an upgrade to the phone at this point as I dont really know what to expect from a performance point of view.

There are a few 3rd party games on/near launch I'm excited for, should the reviews do well.

Tetris Effect Connected
Fuser
Cyberpunk
Destiny 2 Beyond Light

And I can see maybe one or two gamepass surprises coming to boast about this year.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

I’d made up my mind to jump from PlayStation to Xbox for the first time ever before the last PS5 show because of Game Pass. Then when I had a Series X in my shopping basket I changed my mind. Partly age telling me I didn’t really need it, but mostly lack of excitement about the hardware and any games I’ve seen so far. My son wants a gaming PC for Christmas, I’ll have his old Xbox and get my Game Pass without the outlay.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

If the studios Microsoft bought a few years ago had some big guns ready for the Series launch, I'd have got one, definitely. As it is, I find it this iterative cross-gen thing extraordinarily unappealing.

Game Pass had plenty of value in the second half of the current generation because there was a load of third-party AAA/AA stuff released 2/3 years previously to bolster the comparably pathetic first-party offerings but do a load of 'last-gen' games have the same appeal?

I don't understand the lure of a next-gen console to play last-gen games.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I do want a PS5 as I currently have a standard PS4 but I'm not excited enough to pre-order or go on a waiting list. I'll just pick it up when its actually in shops next year and save myself the extra hassle.
Filth_Element

Post by Filth_Element »

I always tend to wait until there’s a few more games available. I hate buying a new gen and waiting for games to arrive to a platform. I tend to buy Nintendo consoles at launch (because I’m a big Nintendo nerd) and then sit around awaiting games to be released.

I think I’m just going to wait and finally upgrade to a PS4 Pro and enjoy what I have. Hopefully it will drop in price significantly after the release of the PS5.

Xbox S looks intriguing with game pass but I think I’ll leave it I don’t really have the money to spend on that right now and I enjoy the exclusives PlayStation has anyway. I normally wait a year or two into the generation to dive in. It’s probably why I always have a big backlog of games to get through!!!

I updated my TV a year ago and didn’t go with 4K so that’s another reason why I’m not biting at the bit to get into the next generation as well.

Demon Souls looks great though!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

As others have said, the graphical leap is very minuscule compared to say, PS2 to PS3. So to me at least, I really don't see the need for a new gen right now. I have such an absurd backlog of stuff for the PS4 that I want to check out before the thought of getting a Switch, never mind a PS5, enters my mind. I mean three or four years worth of stuff as well so I am going to wring everything out of the mighty PS4 before I bother with the next gen if I do at all.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

This is the least excited I've ever been about a new generation. I'll jump on board at some point but right now, for the first time in my life, I'm primarily a PC gamer.

Sony and Microsoft's phoney 4K war was the final nail in the coffin for me. I expect it will be more of the same going forward. Native 4K and ray tracing while their AAA giants chug along at 30fps except for Halo etc. I've never been a framerate junkie but the prospect of another generation of gorgeous looking console games that run like crap isn't a particularly appetising one.

Thankfully there's an unusual amount of framerate discussion taking place amongst console gamers so the issue is being aired more than ever. That and the relative power of what next gen offers may lead to some sort of consciousness shift regarding the importance of performance. Obviously aficionados on forums like this know how vital it is but it's remarkable how little it appears to matter amongst the broader playerbase.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've got a PS5 day one but I've let someone take it as all I'll be doing is playing PS4 games on it.

Demon Souls is 100% not my bag, no rush for Miles Morales.

Happy enough with my xbox one x so no rush for the series x.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

So they have released side by side comparisons of the PS5 and Xbox Series S & X. I wasn't quite prepared for just how big the PS5 is! It's a lot bigger than even the original Xbox. Fair play to anyone with a TV unit big enough to host a PS5 and Series X haha
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have all mine on a table, so once the PS4 Pro and XOX are removed there might just about be space...
Thank goodness for proper backwards compatibility this gen!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I'm really not excited for either. As someone who skipped Xbox and PlayStation this gen, I was willing a launch game to be the reason I dropped £600 on one. But I simply couldn't justify it.

So I bought my mates PS4 for £140 and decided to spend the next two years hoovering up what I've missed out on whilst those two battle it out and it starts to become clearer.

I honestly reckon there's a chance that Switch has the best 2021 anyhow, given we have a new Zelda, Bayonetta, Monster Hunter, No more heroes and Metroid Prime in development (though I doubt 3 let alone 5 of those launch next year).
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Back into lockdown again in the UK. I wonder how this will impact the console launches for those who preordered in a high street store. Obviously this is a very small first world problem but this Is a video games forum.

I have my Xbox preordered at my local game store and my ps5 at amazon. Maybe I’ll get my ps5 first!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Reading comments online, it seems most retailers have said that they’re working on a solution and will share more info soon.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Simonsloth wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:14 am Back into lockdown again in the UK. I wonder how this will impact the console launches for those who preordered in a high street store. Obviously this is a very small first world problem but this Is a video games forum.

I have my Xbox preordered at my local game store and my ps5 at amazon. Maybe I’ll get my ps5 first!
I have a PS5 pre-ordered in my local Game store.

They called me yesterday to advise if I went in and paid for my console before Wednesday I can collect it on the 19th.

The reason for this is non essential shops can't sell anything during lockdown, but can act as a click and collect outlet.

Needless to say, I've now paid for my PS5 and am counting down the days to release. I can't wait.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I got called this afternoon saying if I don’t go to the store by 6pm tomorrow i won’t be able to get my xbox. The likelihood of me being able to get there is slim at best and no one else can go on my behalf. What bad timing!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Super excited, got both arriving almost too soon now and can't wait!

Odd thing for this time is knowing I have not a single game ordered (Demon's Souls looks very likely). I'd pay anything for a quiet ps4 pro and fortunately this was my opportunity so I ordered the PS5 the second I could.

The Xbox though, initially I had no interest in getting one but I sold my PS4 Pro in the last 2 months and have finally given time to getting some love out of my least used console and finally played some of the gamepass stuff... it's been pretty fun to be fair and I'm banking on the long membership to provide the goods which is looking pretty likely!

There's nothing in the pipeline for the Xbox that excites me to be brutally honest (that same trick of Japanese developer exclusivity with yakuza 7 & tetris seems transparent this time) but the allure of playing a bunch of games I already enjoy on the most powerful system has me excited to catch up on all the Xbox One X features in tandem with the auto hdr stuff so I'm looking forward to some quality time with red dead redemption (and undead nightmare), ninja gaiden 2 and panzer dragoon orta. I would really like to see FF13 on gamepass too but it's only a matter of time.

Sadly, I'm clueless on when regular additions are expected to the backward compatible library and realistically don't expect them for at least 6 months but hope that will be where gamepass heads to during any upcoming lulls in new releases. It got pretty exciting with the One X additions just as it came to a pause.

I've done all the random prep like connecting my pc to the tv to test out Vanquish at 120fps which was sadly not as exciting as I expected (though controller response was noticeable and welcome) and I'm in that odd kinda lucky situation that my other half will now be at home for the deliveries so my first world worries are no more.

To reverse back 6 months I'm surprised to be as excited about this generation as I am. I had no performance problems with the PS4 Pro (besides that fan) and imagined I'd be settled with it for a few years more but the kick forward is most likely what was needed if only for the hours whittled away searching inane questions like: "Is 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Pro Enhanced with HDR?" and with all credit to Microsoft a single video of Fallout 4 at 60 fps on console just in concept has me excited for both the new and the old.

TL;DR: Getting both, mega excited - they both have at least one Capcom game coming to them right?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

mikeleddy83 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:30 pm TL;DR: Getting both, mega excited - they both have at least one Capcom game coming to them right?
Yep, I'd bet my left nut that a RE4 port is on its way!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Marlew wrote: November 4th, 2020, 6:12 am
mikeleddy83 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:30 pm TL;DR: Getting both, mega excited - they both have at least one Capcom game coming to them right?
Yep, I'd bet my left nut that a RE4 port is on its way!
Will they need one though as the last gen releases will all work and be on the respective stores. I know this won’t necessarily deter them though so your nut may be safe😅