Are you genuinely excited for Xbox Series X|S & PS5?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Are you genuinely excited for Xbox Series X|S & PS5?

Post by ratsoalbion »

48 and a half years old, keenly waiting for updates regarding my PS5 on the eve of launch.
Looking forward to a five day weekend of Demon's Souls...
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Sounds glorious! I'll be grabbing however many hours I can stay awake after everyone's gone to bed for some Spider-Man: Mile Morales (although Astro's Playroom sounds lovely and might tempt me first!).

I keep refreshing my Amazon tracking page - not yet dispatched but does say 'arriving tomorrow by 10pm', so fingers crossed!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Definitely looking forward to taking a break from Souls with some Astro.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Really excited. Mine says before 9pm tomorrow!

I’ve got my pointless accessories ready to go including HD camera, media remote (which I’m sure I don’t need) as well as a second controller and the pulse headset (which I’m sure I will).

I’ve not touched my series S since last week which seems really odd. Its sort of just replaced my Xbox one as a smaller/quicker model so I’m glad I have it but it’s not really changed my gaming life or habits at all. If I had a series X I’d probably be feeling a bit more invested but it’s weird to feel so much more excited about the ps5. I suppose it’s fact the UI and controller didn’t change much if at all with Xbox but the ps5 has new UI, controller, 3D audio and Demons Souls.

Even if things even out eventually on day 1 there’s more to excite me, more that’s different about the new PlayStation. Is it worth the outlay at launch? Probably not? Am I glad I preordered both? Yes, most certainly!!
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

It's great to see everyone excited and thrilled to get stuck into the new gaming machines, I've been absolutely loving my Series X the past week or so, though you are right it's quite strange booting it up and seeing the exact same UI.

The graphical fidelity upgrade has been amazing though and I have found myself playing a lot more games, i don't know if that's just fresh new hardware excitement or because of the quality of life upgrades like load times, resolution, quick resume etc. Probably a bit of both!

I hope everyone gets their PS5 on time and has fun setting it up, it's always fun getting stuck into a new console :P
Filth_Element

Post by Filth_Element »

Update: my wife bought a PS5 for my birthday opened it up today

So short answer now is “yes I’m very excited for next gen!!!” Hahah

I know that it will be a little while until there are a few games available but once I get Demon Souls I know I should be busy for a while. Plus backwards compatibility means I can still get on top of the back catalogue!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

That's a great birthday pressie! Happy birthday mate, and enjoy that PS5!
Filth_Element

Post by Filth_Element »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 25th, 2020, 11:28 am That's a great birthday pressie! Happy birthday mate, and enjoy that PS5!
Yeah I am over the moon! And thanks I have been enjoying the PS5 after some fiddling with settings etc once I started Demon Souls I haven’t looked back.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Really happy for everyone that's riding the wave of the new console releases and the launch period (and I'm going to let you finish), but I've got other video game related stuff I'm personally super excited about that eclipses any of that.

That Series X and/or PS5 is going to be purchased, but I'm not in a hurry. As it is, I've got so many PS4 , PC and Switch games in my possession that I have yet to spend time with and there is nothing out for the new systems that I NEED TO PLAY RIGHT NOW.

What also doesn't help my tempered excitement is that there doesn't seem to be much real revolutionary newness about both systems right now..? The most exciting thing on PS5 to me right now is a remake of a PS3 game and, if I understand correctly, both systems allow you to play previous gen games in upgraded form. I don't see anything yet that tells me that there's no way I could not have played this on the systems I already own in at least a close approximation.

Again, I'm, super happy for anyone that went all in on this, but this is just my personal sentiment and I'm fully aware that I'm a weirdo. :P
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

You’re ok Michiel🤪

The PS5 UI, 3D audio and controller combo is pretty special so I’m glad I’ve made the leap and my new Xbox is a neat upgrade even if it isn’t setting the world alight....yet.

The games which straddle the generation gap admittedly are playable on PS4 but have bespoke features on the new console which justify the ps5 version. I can only speak for Spider-Man and sackboy but both make lovely use of the controller in particular and look really smart.

Is it worth splashing the cash? Maybe, probably, yes. I’m glad my games load faster and in a world where my time is finite it’s nicer to be able to get to the good stuff quicker.

Surely you need to buy one for the video wizards podcast in 25 years?
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

For that and other stuff. Yeah like I said, I will buy it but not in a hurry. :lol:
Filth_Element

Post by Filth_Element »

Michiel K wrote: November 29th, 2020, 2:37 pm
What also doesn't help my tempered excitement is that there doesn't seem to be much real revolutionary newness about both systems right now..? The most exciting thing on PS5 to me right now is a remake of a PS3 game and, if I understand correctly, both systems allow you to play previous gen games in upgraded form. I don't see anything yet that tells me that there's no way I could not have played this on the systems I already own in at least a close approximation.
Hey Michiel

I was planning to wait but was lucky my wife bought one for me! I have to say though... Demon Souls which has been made solely to play on the next gen (technically current gen) I can’t see that running on PS4. Graphics look next gen to me. It’s beautiful and slick as in performance mode. I downloaded and played on Bloodborne for a few hours too and can see it looks better than on my base PS4 which is nice to see.

However, I’m coming from a base PS4 to PS5 and don’t play PC games, so I’m making a bit of a leap in hardware.

Anyway I’m sure once you do pick one up you’ll be happy with it! :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Hey, I totally get it. :) And I'm sure in the not too distant future I'll be a happy PS5 owner. I feel like such an oddball outsider sometimes lol.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

As a PC gamer, I'll just play what Xbox Game Pass games come there. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a PS5 and a few games, even if the games were just PS4 games I've missed (I never had a PS4). But, I'd rather just upgrade my PC for that price. It's all a moot point, since I can afford to do neither at the moment.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Well, my Xbox Series controller has some pretty annoying left thumbstick wobble, and I've had the machine for about 3 months now... quite disappointing but I've sent for a replacement since the controller was still within warranty. We will see how it goes.

Basically I noticed it during Hitman. I could have my thumbstick in the neutral position, but there was a bit of play to it, it didn't sit snug. I thought it wouldn't be such a big deal, but then I noticed Agent 47 walking forward when I wasn't even touching the stick, sending him into a restricted area and messing up my SASO run through a level. That's when I decided I had to try and get a replacement, lol
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ms say they’re not expecting ‘normal’ stock levels for the XSX until June at the earliest.