Are you genuinely excited for Xbox Series X|S & PS5?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Are you genuinely excited for Xbox Series X|S & PS5?

Post by Simonsloth »

Simonsloth wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:28 pm I got called this afternoon saying if I don’t go to the store by 6pm tomorrow i won’t be able to get my xbox. The likelihood of me being able to get there is slim at best and no one else can go on my behalf. What bad timing!
Hooray! I nipped in to pay.

I’ve been a bit confused about all these dates though and thought my Xbox was ready next thursday!

So Xbox Tuesday, demons souls and Ps5 accessories Thursday and then a week later the PS5. Exciting times!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Oh, that's great news! Glad to managed to get into store to pay.

Just need the 19th to hurry itself up now :D
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

It's strange, I'm enjoying going through the new console coverage (Digital Foundry in particular) but have no desire to budge from my "sometime next year" stance. Surely the marketing push should be pushing me towards an earlier purchase, maybe its the lack of exclusives or a bit of a backlog that I have.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

ColinAlonso wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:54 am It's strange, I'm enjoying going through the new console coverage (Digital Foundry in particular) but have no desire to budge from my "sometime next year" stance.
I’m exactly the same, lapping up every review, but no desire to own one yet. I’ve just mapped out my immediate backlog attack, and I’m far more excited about that.

That said, my son has now decided he wants an Xbox Series X for Christmas rather than the gaming PC we’ve been planning for him since August! So now I have the very unwanted excitement of trying to get him one, made all the more “exciting” by me having cancelled a preorder because he was adamant he wanted a gaming PC!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I am excited for both - especially since my OG Xbox has red ringed and having an all in one machine with backwards compatibility will be nice. It will be a while before I get one though, I need a big boy job first.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

That's great. I love the backwards compatibility stuff too. Just be aware @ThirdDrawing that the list of Original Xbox games that work with the Series X/S is actually fairly limited at the moment.

There's a list on the Xbox website, I think it's only about 30 games or thereabouts right now.

For the Xbox 360, the list is much larger, so there's less risk there of not being able to play a game. But just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, the way they described it was ‘if it currently works on the XBO it’ll work on the XSX’.

At present I don’t think they have plans to go back and add more, but who knows?
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

I picked up a Series S and a 32" 1080p HDR for my newly created man cave.

Funnily enough, what I'm most impressed with so far is the TV. A smaller screen just feels right for me. I played through The Last of Us Part II on my 27" 4K work monitor and it was a revelation and I'm feeling that away again right now.

Playing through Fable II and New Vegas made me realise what I was missing out on by previously revisiting these games on an overblown 4K TV. And the smaller panel prevents your eyes being unduly drawn to any jaggies. Fable III, in particular, looks bloody gorgeous. Perhaps the S is helping to steady the frames and smooth the jaggies (can it do that?). I don't ever remember the game looking this good.

The smaller screen has a practical function as well. I'm taking in more information. I can sit close to the action without having to cast my eyes up and down the panel.

I've always prided myself on going for broke on a big TV with all the bells and whistles. But I've really cooled on the idea of upgrading yet again to another big monstrosity.

Right now the S and 1080p is where I'm at. I think that in taking one step back in resolution I've taken two steps forward in how I want to experience next gen when it eventually gets into full swing.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Hierony wrote: November 16th, 2020, 1:41 pm That's great. I love the backwards compatibility stuff too. Just be aware @ThirdDrawing that the list of Original Xbox games that work with the Series X/S is actually fairly limited at the moment.

There's a list on the Xbox website, I think it's only about 30 games or thereabouts right now.
I'm aware but thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping it will expand in the future.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Don't they periodically update their library of BC games?
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

See Mi Yah wrote: November 16th, 2020, 11:24 pm I picked up a Series S and a 32" 1080p HDR for my newly created man cave.

Funnily enough, what I'm most impressed with so far is the TV. A smaller screen just feels right for me. I played through The Last of Us Part II on my 27" 4K work monitor and it was a revelation and I'm feeling that away again right now.

Playing through Fable II and New Vegas made me realise what I was missing out on by previously revisiting these games on an overblown 4K TV. And the smaller panel prevents your eyes being unduly drawn to any jaggies. Fable III, in particular, looks bloody gorgeous. Perhaps the S is helping to steady the frames and smooth the jaggies (can it do that?). I don't ever remember the game looking this good.

The smaller screen has a practical function as well. I'm taking in more information. I can sit close to the action without having to cast my eyes up and down the panel.

I've always prided myself on going for broke on a big TV with all the bells and whistles. But I've really cooled on the idea of upgrading yet again to another big monstrosity.

Right now the S and 1080p is where I'm at. I think that in taking one step back in resolution I've taken two steps forward in how I want to experience next gen when it eventually gets into full swing.
Sounds great! There's definitely something to be said for smaller screen gaming. Contrary to common consensus (at least among console gamers) it can be just as engrossing to be able to see the entire window into the game world presented so your eyes can take in the whole thing at once, vs shifting your focus around individual spots on a massive display. Look at the Switch - games can still look really lovely and suck you in on that little 720p screen!

I say this as a guy with a Series X plugged into a 50" 4K HDR screen, so I'm not immune to the appeal of big shiny tellys, but equally I have a friend playing Series X on a 22" 1440p monitor and having an absolute blast! To each his own!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Is it true that 4K gaming monitors are basically pointless as you can't see the benefits from the screen size being smaller?
Sinclair Gregstrum

I guess it's subjective as I'm sure some people swear by their 4K monitors, but it stands to reason that the smaller the display the less obvious/visible pure pixel count is going to be. At the very least you can get away with lower resolutions on smaller screens without them starting to look soft. If you put a 1080p game on a 50 inch + TV you can see a big difference between that and 4K even at half a glance, but on smaller displays I think it's way less pronounced (to my untrained eyes anyway!), especially when you get down to standard PC monitor sizes.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Next gen headset recommendation if anyone's looking for one compatible with everything - the SteelSeries Arctis 7X.

I've been using a SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC on PS4 and Xbox One and it was great, but with the new consoles lacking optical ports it was not going to be fully compatible anymore (there's a USB workaround for PS5 but not Series X).

The Arctis 7X is a new wireless model and while it is 'designed for Xbox' it is also fully compatible with everything else - PS5, PC and Switch. Sound quality has been superb so far, build quality is great as always with SteelSeries, and the wireless performance has been flawless. If anyone is after a genuine all-in-one headset for every system, I'd highly recommend checking these out!

Word of warning - there is also an Arctis 7P model 'designed for Playstation', which is identical to the 7X other than it lacks the wireless tech needed to be compatible with Xbox. The 7X has both standards, so 7P is literally pointless unless you're 100% sure you will never ever buy an Xbox - it is just the same headset with less functionality for the same money!

See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Angry_Kurt wrote: November 17th, 2020, 9:38 am Is it true that 4K gaming monitors are basically pointless as you can't see the benefits from the screen size being smaller?
I can't say whether or not I'm getting the true benefit of 4K when playing on a smaller monitor but I'd be shocked to hear of any analysis saying it's basically pointless.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and even the enhanced The Witcher 2 both look astonishing in native 4K on my monitor. The Last of Us Remastered also popped a lot more than its sequel, albeit, as with The Witcher 2, you have to look past the older textures.

But all of this is purely anecdotal. Would I be able to tell the difference between two 1440p and 4K 27" monitors running natively at their respective maximum resolutions. I simply don't know.

Thankfully it's a non-issue for me. I bought the monitor for my work space but also made sure to get the fastest response time I could afford in anticipation of it also being used for games at some point.

You've raised an interesting topic and if I ever find myself wanting a dedicated gaming monitor I'll have to do my homework.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Monitors/screens/TVs - such a minefield of considerations nowadays.

I'm happy with both my desktop PC screen (BenQ, gaming approved, 1080p/60Hz) and my console/film TV (Sony 4K/HDR/60Hz), but could I be happier? Probably!

I find myself looking at possible upgrades even though I've no real need, because 120Hz would probably improve my experience with some titles on XSX (when I get one) and PS5.

Could my ageing PC with GeForce 1070 even handle 4K though? Or 1440p? At above 60 fps?

Will me ageing peepers appreciate the difference more or less than they used to?

Fortunately I don't really have the money to find out at the moment...
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'm sure it's probably a case of some people saying they can tell a difference and others saying not. I don't know if there is much price difference between a 1440p and 4K monitor. If you have a 4k is it possible to change the settings of the monitor of in game dsplay settings so it outputs in 1440p? Like if you were watching a 1080p video on youtube on a 4K TV.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Different folks definitely have varying appreciations/tolerances of and for resolutions and frame rates.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 17th, 2020, 11:57 am Next gen headset recommendation if anyone's looking for one compatible with everything - the SteelSeries Arctis 7X.
Thanks for this. I've never had a gaming headset before but I think it's about time I invested in one now that I've got the new console and I'm playing a lot more games now during lockdown.
Sinclair Gregstrum

No worries! I've used headsets of one form or another for years, and I think a good headset can be quite transformative to the experience in terms of immersing you in the world. I can also have it cranked up quite load without my wife complaining ;)

With 3D audio becoming more of a thing this gen as well, the best way to get the full effect of that will be through a headset. Sony say their solution will work through TV speakers as well, but they are so small and underpowered on today's super thin displays that it won't be a patch on the experience you get through a decent pair of headphones.