What's your first next gen game

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Angry_Kurt

What's your first next gen game

Post by Angry_Kurt »

For those of us getting a Xbox Series S/X or PS5 at launch, what are you going to Christen your new console with?

I had it in my mind for ages that mine would be Gears Tactics, but in the past few days that has changed to Dirt 5 after seeing the reviews and people on Twitter whose tastes aligns with mine when it comes to Racing games, it all convinced me to order Dirt 5 instead. The clincher for me was it being 'The sequel to Dirt 2 I always wanted' as a sentence in a video review I watched from catgonecrazy on Youtube. Dirt 2 is by far my favourite in the series, so I'm happy to hear it's going back to that style.
Pitwar

Re: What's your first next gen game

Post by Pitwar »

I've got Miles and CoD coming with my PS5, and will pick up Assassins Creed when I break from work for Christmas as my game to play while off.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Demon's Souls here. Cannot wait!
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Almost certainly Demon's but as I'm going all digital, it depends on how quickly it comes down the pipes!

I'll transfer my PS4 stuff to an HDD and hopefully I can bung them over quickly enough. Might be Ghost of Tsushima at 60fps.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

I have Miles Morales and Demon's Souls pre-purchased (digitally), and Astro's Playroom is a pack-in, with Bugsnax being available day one with PS+.

Though I have already been playing or have played some cross-gen games on PC and other platforms, like Watch Dogs Legion, Gears Tactics, Gears 5, Grounded, etc., so I guess it gets a bit complicated :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Probably be AC Valhalla on the XSX, but likely not until some time after Christmas.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Red Dead Redemption. I've been wanting to replay it for years. I no longer have PS+ so can't access the copy I had free on that, and my disc drive doesn't work in my PS3 so can't get it cheap on disc. I started it on PS Now a few months back but stopped after a couple of hours due to streaming being too unreliable.

So yeah, genuinely, the game I'm most looking forward to playing on my next gen Xbox is Red Dead Redemption!

Regardless, I almost certainly won't be joining the next gen till at least March next year.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’ll be playing destiny 2 on my series S tomorrow night!!! But my first next gen game will be Demons Souls on the PS5!

A bit less scared about introducing the series S into the living room than my PS5 as I think my wife will be upset with size, shape and everything about it!
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Doesn't exist yet. I end up purchasing a console when I have to, so we'll see when the next Kingdom Hearts(used to be a guarantee, but we'll see) or fighting game comes out.

Even then, I could hypothetically just stay "current gen" on xbox and grab it, as they've pledged to support "GAMERS". Honestly, thinking about just upgrading the ol' PC if it can handle it and its necessary. Both M$ and Sony say next gen cutoff is 2-3 years from now, so....

But on a more positive note, the pundits are praising load times like crazy, so those of you willing to make the jump should be pleasantly surprised even if the content isn't exactly 'new'.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

They have said about the cut off being 2-3 years but I don't think that means anything new from them will be cross gen, for example we already have Demon Souls and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart as next gen exclusives, but then equally we have a game like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 which will be on PS4 too. From what MS have said I think it's more likely that they will continue to release any new stuff on Xbox One too, although I'm hoping they will start to release next gen only stuff sooner rather than later which can take full advantage of the hardware.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Angry_Kurt wrote: November 12th, 2020, 9:42 am They have said about the cut off being 2-3 years but I don't think that means anything new from them will be cross gen, for example we already have Demon Souls and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart as next gen exclusives, but then equally we have a game like Horizon Zero Dawn 2 which will be on PS4 too. From what MS have said I think it's more likely that they will continue to release any new stuff on Xbox One too, although I'm hoping they will start to release next gen only stuff sooner rather than later which can take full advantage of the hardware.
this is true, and even as i finished typing that I later thought of ratchet as you mentioned, a series that is stellar. That being said, I need to go back and finish older entries as my PS3 broke, so I'm happy to wait and see, especially as uncertain as the world is right now
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

[Double edit] I should mention, in response to what was said above, yes the load times are absolutely phenomenal across the board on XSX. It's been a real game-changer in some ways, there's hardly ever any annoyance now where there's a long loading screen and you think "ugh, momentum killer". This is probably the most impressive thing about next-gen consoles for me so far. I do quite like the 4K and 60fps stuff too, though. 8-)

Can't wait to play Master Chief Collection on the Series X. Multiplayer at 120fps is enticing my curiosity, and of course I will relish the opportunity to replay the campaigns, hopefully with some co-op action going on at some point.

I booted up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes too as I wanted to see how the Auto HDR feature looked. Not 100% sure if my appreciation for image quality is fine enough to really tell the precise effect of it :geek:, but I can say that the game looks absolutely stunning regardless. Still such a great looking and sounding game, I'm appreciating the music of this installment a bit more than I originally did when I first played it. Something about that orchestral / synth mix up that plays when the base goes into alert mode really nails the epic vibe of the game. And of course, it's an absolute joy to play. All the mechanics are so polished, detailed and well implemented. Loving it.
Edit: had to link this, cuz it's great https://youtu.be/5U71zMNSxh8

There's also a few backwards compatible games I do want to try, including Ninja Gaiden Black. Haven'tt played it before and it's supposed to be very good so I'm looking forward to it.

As for actual next-gen games, my housemate is looking to buy / get Call of Duty: Cold War for Christmas, so I'll be absolutely taking advantage of that and giving it a whirl at some point to see just how graphically impressive it ends up being.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Hierony wrote: November 16th, 2020, 3:39 am [Double edit]

Can't wait to play Master Chief Collection on the Series X. Multiplayer at 120fps is enticing my curiosity, and of course I will relish the opportunity to replay the campaigns, hopefully with some co-op action going on at some point.
If you can wait till early next year, I’d happily play co op with you as I’ve never really given the Halo games a go outside of Reach, or would you say they’re best to be first experienced in single player?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: November 16th, 2020, 8:29 am
Hierony wrote: November 16th, 2020, 3:39 am [Double edit]

If you can wait till early next year, I’d happily play co op with you as I’ve never really given the Halo games a go outside of Reach, or would you say they’re best to be first experienced in single player?
I'd be up for some co-op a little later in the year if you're still playing too, Kurt. Probably going to be around March/April time I get my Xbox.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I'll probably have played some of it by then by myself, but even still, I'd be up for some co-op play if you do end up getting it.

I think playing it solo is a slightly different experience which might be preferable to some, but I don't necessarily think it's vital to first experience them that way.

Feel free to add my Xbox gamertag anyway - 'Feirsteax'
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I'm having a blast with Dirt 5 on Series X!

Over-the-top rally racing that looks gorgeous, with a handling model that's all about sliding around corners, blasting over jumps and generally just razzing about like a lunatic! The dynamic weather and day/night systems that change mid-race are also a really nice addition. You can start a race in clear skies and end it in the pitch black in a snowstorm, which adds a fun extra twist to proceedings!

They've really gone for the whole 'Xtreme' brash aesthetic and it's all pretty in your face, which might not be to everyone's taste. But if you're after something fun that you can dip in and out of around your more meaty adventures, then I highly recommend Dirt 5!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'm having a lot of fun with it too. I think the brash aesthetic is something I have got used to in the Dirt series now. I remember them introducing it in Dirt 2 and I wasn't overly keen initially but I soon got used to it and it does fit the series. The photo mode is great too, if you want to see some great photo mode shots, check out @BlueFury47 on Twitter
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Wow he's taken some really nice shots hasn't he! I've been really impressed by the visuals all-round but there's so much detail going on there that you just don't see when you're screaming round the track.

I think it was Ryan McCaffrey at IGN that in his Dirt 5 preview said he wasn't very impressed with the graphics and that it didn't feel next gen to him. To some extent I get it as it's not a quantum leap over something like the Xbox One Forza Horizon games (FH4 on Series X looks incredible!), but Dirt 5 is still a really pretty game that looks great zipping along at 4K 60fps, and when you add in the speed of the loading and responsiveness of the UI, it feels pretty next gen to me!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 17th, 2020, 10:18 am They've really gone for the whole 'Xtreme' brash aesthetic and it's all pretty in your face, which might not be to everyone's taste.
Uh, they're still doing this? I just don't get it, nobody likes it. People might tolerate it, some people might not even notice it, but nobody likes it, surely?

That's genuinely the reason I don't play these games since the third one. It just grates the living shit out of me. And they don't need to do it - Dirt Rally is completely free of it, and brilliant.

I suppose they're selling copies, but I can't help but wonder who they think they're catering to with this over the top COOL DUDE BRO aesthetic.
Filth_Element

Post by Filth_Element »

Well... I said I was going to wait about a year before buying the PS5 but my wife has secretly managed to get a hold of one!! Super excited and thankful to have such a wonderful woman by my side who treats me very well on birthdays.

So I bought Miles Morales and will have a go at that today. However I downloaded Bloodborne which I have played a lot and absolutely love and that was the first game I played on my PS5 this morning. Going from base PS4 to PS5 it looks great and having just invested in a surround sound setup a couple of days ago the experience is enhanced further.

I will play Astros Playroom with my wife and go “ooh ahhh” at the duelsense very soon.

But I really want to go to the shop and get Demon Souls!!!! That’s what I want my propa first next gen experience to be!