Persona 5 Royal

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Nupraptor

Persona 5 Royal

Post by Nupraptor »

I just finished Persona 5: Royal this week. 130 hours. Not bad value for money given that I picked it up in Argos for £28! 10/10.
It’s an excellent game and it really feels like it sets the benchmark for JRPGs going forwards. I didn't play the original so this was my first time playing through.

The basic gameplay is classic, turn-based JRPG, but it is so well polished and there are so many ease of life measures that enhance the experience. Cut scenes can be paused and fast forwarded. If you lose to a boss, then you have the option to simply restart the battle - if it was your strategy that was wrong - or go back to a previous save point - if you need to grind some levels. Grinding itself is made easy and happens naturally to a degree over the course of the playthrough.

The main theme of teenagers rebelling against corrupt and abusive adults, is immediately engaging and compelling. I’ve rarely wanted to take down an enemy so much as the abusive teacher who serves as the games first main boss. The more grounded focus of the game on the day to day evils and abuses that people face, makes a fresh change from the usual world-ending drama of most JRPG plots - even if that does start to creep in as the game goes on.

The characters are fun to spend time with and you really want to help them with the problems they are all trying to work through - which is just as well, because there is a huge focus on your day to do school life, social life and extracurricular activities. And that sounds like it might be dull, but it always felt compelling to me. Particular shout out to Futaba, who might be one of my favourite video game characters now.

There’s a ton of pop-culture references in the game. I particularly enjoyed the allusions to my favourite anime - Death Note. Both are urban fantasy stories set in modern day Tokyo. Futaba adopts L’s quirky mode of sitting. Akechi-kun is highly reminiscent of Light Yagami - they look physically very similar and both are precocious High School students who moonlight as genius detectives, but are hiding a secret other life. Yusuke uses Light's "All according to plan" as a victory quote.

The music is incredible, particularly when the jazz/pop songs with lyrics kick in. Everything is presented in a bright and engaging style with even menu screens seeming to pulse with energy and creativity. The enemy and character designs feel fresh. It all just oozes style and polish.

Wonderful game.

raisinbman

Re: Persona 5: Royal

Post by raisinbman »

I've left my thoughts in the all-encompassing persona thread, and still am finishing up royal to give those thoughts, but a couple notes:

Royal buyers get free DLC that'll make you be overpowered, should you choose to use it. They don't tell you so I had no idea till poking around w/ ng+ lol.

You need to get Maruki akechi Kasumi max if you want to access royal content. Detailed below:
Spoiler: show
Kasumi to 5, Maruki to 9(this is gated), and Akechi to 8(this is also gated) for the opportunity to max these characters out.

Nupraptor

Re: Persona 5 Royal

Post by Nupraptor »

Just listened to the Persona 5 pod. It only covers the base game and it was made before Royal was released. Great listen. Lots of good insights .
I was surprised by the amount of negativity.
I never played the base game. Reading around and listening to people's comments, it sounds like Royal was quite a big overhaul of the base game rather than just a bit of spot and polish.
Listening to the pod, it does sound like a lot, if not all, of the criticisms they were voicing have actually been addressed by the changes in Royal.

raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

I agreed with alot of what they had to say, but yeah, royal does seem to fix alot of vanilla's quirks- I didn't play vanilla either.

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

The QoL tweaks and minor adjustments to the base game that Royal made were generally pretty good, but personally I felt the writing quality of the new content wasn't quite as good as the original.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

I think the main new bits are Yoshizawa and Maruki? I thought they were really compelling.

raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Nupraptor wrote: December 4th, 2020, 8:11 pm I think the main new bits are Yoshizawa and Maruki? I thought they were really compelling.
it fixes a major complaint(at least from the C&R podcast team), and i agree.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I've played through vanilla P5 and I'm in two minds about whether to get this or not.

raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Imo, the biggest question about royal isn't whether its good or not if you played vanilla, but whether you can stand another go-over of 100 hours to get to the new semester. Course I didn't play vanilla.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

raisinbman wrote: December 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm Imo, the biggest question about royal isn't whether its good or not if you played vanilla, but whether you can stand another go-over of 100 hours to get to the new semester. Course I didn't play vanilla.
Well I played vanilla in 2017, so it's far enough removed that it might be worth playing again. I honestly just didn't think it was as good as P3 or P4. It's definitely got the weakest soundtrack of any Persona game so far.

raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: December 10th, 2020, 10:45 am
raisinbman wrote: December 7th, 2020, 3:22 pm Imo, the biggest question about royal isn't whether its good or not if you played vanilla, but whether you can stand another go-over of 100 hours to get to the new semester. Course I didn't play vanilla.
Well I played vanilla in 2017, so it's far enough removed that it might be worth playing again. I honestly just didn't think it was as good as P3 or P4. It's definitely got the weakest soundtrack of any Persona game so far.
Your take is pretty much the consensus, so nothing wrong with that.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

Persona 5 has the weakest soundtrack of any Persona game? I thought it was incredible, but I haven't played the others. My mind boggles at how good they must sound.

raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

So I haven't played anything but 5(Tokyo Mirage technically I guess?), but considering how ppl talked about the previous soundtracks, and what I've heard of them(Sound of play, Supradarky's YT channel), I've heard some seriously crazy tunes. Meguro really has put out some tunes for the series and its parent series.

I don't really think P5's music is bad, and granted, I haven't listened to it separate from the game which sometimes can help, but it really feels like something you can hum to or snap your fingers to - this is old hat to them, so they KNOW we're gonna be listening to these tracks ad infinitum in the game.

If I were to really go on a limb, the game really sounds like not necessarily a 'cash in', but sort of a jam session - "this sounds good enough and will fill time". They know what we're expecting, and all the elements are there, but I'm not getting a real 'damn, I NEED to download this' vibe from the music like I would if I were listening to a number of persona/SMT/DDS/Persona Q etc songs(The Battle for Everybody's Souls, Mist, The Almighty, Karma City, Ikebukuro Underground District, lucifer palace, Divine Entity (Final Battle)), which almost is emblematic of how P5 stands against the others, in a way.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

That wasn't really meant to say the soundtrack "sucked" or anything like that.

It's just that I didn't find it particularly memorable in comparison to past Persona/SMT games.

Persona 2's soundtrack is still my favourite, but I realise I'm probably in the minority. It's very evocative of a specific time and place and it stands out to me.

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Personally, Persona 5 is easily my favorite Persona game, the story, gameplay, and especially the soundtrack are all fantastic. Last surprise and and Rivers in the Desert are the obvious highlights, but I also love Beneath the Mask, Life Will Change, and a couple of the dungeon themes. I'm currently replaying Persona 4, and while it's still a great game, the combat is a lot more repetitive, and honestly, nothing in the soundtrack really stands out to me in the same way the P5's does.

raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Welp, that settles it. Especially since the series itself has musical spinoffs, I think it's time to do some investigation! Have to work my way through KHIII first, since it seems like YT auto-generates stuff and thats finally there now...