Questions about video games, movies and the world beyond! 2020 has, let's be honest, been a bit of a shitshow of a year. Could YOU be the one to notch up a final small victory of the year?
Previously on the Great Big CaR Forum Quiz:
2018 winner: Combine Hunter
2019 winner: Simonsloth
Please find below, in the spoiler tags a ready formatted answer sheet for this years quiz. You can just copy and paste that in to a new post and add your answers. But please, POST YOUR ANSWERS IN SPOILER TAGS.
Ready formatted answer sheet is here:
- Spoiler: show
We'll have to employ a degree of trust here, Google could help you immeasurably, but where's the fun in that?
You have until 2pm on SUNDAY 3rd JANUARY to submit your answers. So, without any more delay, on with the quiz!
Round 1: General Gaming
1. What is the name of the 'never officially translated to English' cyber-police detective game from Hideo Kojima?
2. Double Fine studios was founded by which ex-Lucas Arts adventure game veteran?
3. Super Meat Boy, Braid and Fez featured in which 2012 gaming documentary?
4. The sequence U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,B,A is better known as what?
5. Street Fighter 2 mutant, Blanka, honed his skills fighting on the streets of which South American country?
6. A,B,A,C,A,B,B enabled the blood mode in which Sega Megadrive game?
7. In which Nintendo game did Mario, known at the time as Jumpman, make his first ever appearance?
8. What is the maximum number of lines you can complete at any one time in a traditional game of Tetris?
9. What is the name of Tetsuya Mizuguchi's 2011 follow up to the cult-classic shooter, Rez?
10. What is the name of the thug who roughs up Guybrush Threepwood in the opening scene of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge?
Round 2: Back To The Primitive
1. The characters Bub and Bob are the stars of which 1986 platformer?
2. What game followed Desert and Jungle in the popular EA Strike series?
3. Based on the book by Ade Edmondson, this 1987 computer game encouraged you to be a complete what?
4. What animal was a secret playable character in Streets Of Rage 3?
5. Which much delayed John Romero FPS was finally released to a largely negative press in May 2000?
Round 3: This Was The Year That Was
1. The Last Of Us Part 2 is largely set in which US City?
2. Who composed the soundtrack to Doom Eternal?
3. Barret, Tifa and Heidegger are characters from the 2020 remake of which game?
4. What did Cane and Rinse arch-enemies, The Computer Game Show, vote as their 2020 Game Of The Year?
5. What is the name of the wise old museum curator in this year's Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
Round 4: Subtitles (which series do the following games come from)
1. Brotherhood, Unity
2. Lost Legacy, Golden Abyss
3. Origins, Inquisition
4. Shadows of Amn, Dark Alliance
5. Asylum, Knight
6. Minish Cap, Spirit Tracks
7. Song of Life, Like A Dragon
8. Memories of Celceta, Lacrimosa of Dana
9. Rising, Evolution
10. Bloodlines, Portrait of Ruin
Round 5: The Infamous Anagrams (decode the game, ignore all punctuation)
1. MARINA'S CLOSING
2. FRANTIC ME
3. DO NOBLE, BRO!
4. OILY SCUM DIES
5. YO, NEAT BAT!
6. ZEN OF ANTS, AY?
7. ME SHITS
8. THE WEST SIN
9. GOTH LINK, HOWL!
10. IT'S LOW! PING!
Round 6: The Missing Words Round (number of dashes does NOT indicate number of letters)
1. Paper Mario: The _ _ _ _ _ King
2. A Boy And His _ _ _ _ _
3. _ _ _ _ _ From Monkey Island
4. Plumbers Don't Wear _ _ _ _ _
5. Silent Hill 4: The _ _ _ _ _
6. Horizon _ _ _ _ _ Turbo
7. _ _ _ _ _ 2: Among Thieves
8. Fallout: _ _ _ _ _ Vegas
9. Luigi's Mansion: Dark _ _ _ _ _
10. Indiana Jones And The Fate Of _ _ _ _ _
Round 7: Don't Quote Me On That... (which games do these quotes come from?)
1. “They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over.”
2. “What is a man? A Miserable little pile of secrets!”
3. "The cake is a lie."
4. "May your survival be long, may your death be swift."
5. “I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow to the knee.”
Round 8: Movies
1. Quentin Tarantino originally released which film as a grindhouse double feature alongside Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror?
2. Which composer scored the films Blade Runner and Chariots Of Fire?
3. Harry Styles made his film debut in which 2017 war epic?
4. What was the film in which Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino first acted in the same scene together?
5. Which film opens with the line, "Saigon… Shit. I'm still only in Saigon"?
Round 9: TV
1. After being dismissed from Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson went on to co-present which Prime exclusive motoring show?
2. The numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 feature heavily in which mysterious television show?
3. Which actor links Boardwalk Empire, Line Of Duty, Band Of Brothers and the This Is England television series?
4. "That's Livin' Alright" was the theme tune to which 80s television show?
5. An Elephant Makes Love To A Pig, Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants and Imaginationland are episodes of which animated TV show?
Round 10: Sport
1. Which team defeated Miami Heat, 4 games to 2, to claim victory in this year's NBA Playoff finals?
2. YouTube 'celebrity' and colossal prick Jake Paul has offered £50m to which former UFC champion to face him in the boxing ring?
3. Lewis Hamilton recently equalled the record for Formula One championship wins set by which driver?
4. The Hawthorns is the home ground of which Premier League football team?
5. What is the maximum possible amount a player could score with 6 throws of a dart?
Round 11: Music
1. 'We passed upon the stair' is the opening line to which David Bowie song?
2. Members of which band performed alongside Nirvana during their legendary Unplugged set on the songs Lake Of Fire, Plateau and Oh Me?
3. Which song did Marty McFly suggest the audience weren't ready for, but "your kids are gonna love it" in Back To The Future?
4. 19, 21 and 25 are albums from which UK artist?
5. Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert have both provided live vocals for which British classic rock band?
Round 12: And Finally, Podcasts...
1. What is the name of James Acaster and Ed Gamble's food based comedy podcast?
2. The first ever issue of the Cane and Rinse podcast featured which video game?
3. As often featured in his podcast, what is the name of Adam Buxton's dog?
4. What was the name of David Turner's gaming podcast, co-hosted with Micheal Fox and others, prior to The Computer Game Show?
5. Which two regular Cane and Rinse contributors host the Video Wizards podcast?
So there you have it, 12 rounds and a massive 80 questions! In case of an unlikely draw, there is a tiebreaker question:
How many games (excluding demos, the NES and SNES online apps and the YouTube app, do I have currently installed on my Switch as of 10am on 26th December 2020? Your answer goes here:
Hope you enjoy the quiz!
And one last time - please post any answers in spoiler tags, and the submission deadline is 2pm on Sunday 3rd January.