Dead or Alive 5

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

Dead or Alive 5

Post by NokkonWud »

Did anyone else pick this up today? (I believe Darren F did) If so, what are your thoughts?

My copy just turned up, so Dead or Alive 5 joins Dead or Alive's 2-4 which have all been day one purchases for me.

Just really bothers me why they self-inflict so much by almost masking a quality fighting game behind jiggly tits and fat arses because as technical fighters they're brilliant. Anyway, I digress, I'm looking forward to jumping in later and of anyone is up for a few online laughs, let me know.
Roy42

Re: Dead or Alive 5

Post by Roy42 »

There's a copy of the game with the soundtrack? Was that a preorder exclusive?

In any case, as much as I would love to get my hands on this (with this game in particular, that expression doesn't really sit quite right), I'll have to hold off for at least a month while I save up for a Kickstarter I've already committed myself to for $600.

Nevertheless, the DOA series has always interested me and baffled me for just about the same reasons you mentioned. On a technical level it's a great fighting game. On the surface level, the director seems to think that women's breasts are physically incapable of staying still, even when they make sure that no other part of the character is moving whatsoever. And not many people are getting past the surface level, even the people trying to be academic about it and judging the game based on its mechanical strengths, a lot of the time, it seems.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Well that has changed with 5, Tomonobu Itagaki left after Dead or Alive 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2, yet they kept those 'features' in. Why, I have no idea, but they have their reasons.

I don't have tiny hands, that's the CE and the case is much bigger than a standard case, that's why I got a soundtrack (and art book & poster.)

Yet to play it yet as I have been playing through Lost Odyssey, tonight ill give it a blast but I've heard very, very good things which leads me to believe their is life in Team Ninja post Itagaki (something I questioned after seeing the reception to Ninja Gaiden III.)
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Did you get a chance to play it yet?
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I played for a couple of hours with a friend earlier tonight (he picked up the collector's edition too) and we had a lot of fun. Haven't played much DOA since the second one but I found the counter system way more satisfying with that paper-scissors-stone element (think they added it in 4). Such a sharp looking game too.

My friend is a big fan of the series and mentioned that the changes seemed to be largely cosmetic but he's chuffed with his purchase anyway. I won't be picking it up myself but it seems like a really nicely put together fighter.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Played it today for a few hours, I have to disagree, the changes aren't cosmetic. This is incredibly fluid and solid, a real balance in there which is nice to see and it at least attempts something decent with the story mode even if it falls well short of Mortal Kombat.

Feature wise there's lots in there and the online works flawlessly, much better than Dead or Alive 4 was in that regard.

The counter system has been there since Dead or Alive 2, though it never felt quite as sharp in 3 or 4 as it did then, or does now.

As far as 3D fighters goes its a great effort, definitely more than holds its own against any others out there.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

A pedant posts: The countering system was in there from the original DoA - it was always the series' USP (along with the tits).

Also, no-one knows if a fighting game is truly balanced until months of high level play, not after a few hours of feeling the game out.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

NokkonWud wrote:Played it today for a few hours, I have to disagree, the changes aren't cosmetic. This is incredibly fluid and solid, a real balance in there which is nice to see and it at least attempts something decent with the story mode even if it falls well short of Mortal Kombat.
Whoa now, let's not put Mortal Kombat on too high a pedestal itself.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Mortal Kombat had its faults but the story mode was fantastic.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:A pedant posts: The countering system was in there from the original DoA - it was always the series' USP (along with the tits).

Also, no-one knows if a fighting game is truly balanced until months of high level play, not after a few hours of feeling the game out.
It has, but was the one from the original DoA not more basic? I remember feeling there was a change when I was playing DoA2.
Roy42 wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:Played it today for a few hours, I have to disagree, the changes aren't cosmetic. This is incredibly fluid and solid, a real balance in there which is nice to see and it at least attempts something decent with the story mode even if it falls well short of Mortal Kombat.
Whoa now, let's not put Mortal Kombat on too high a pedestal itself.
Whilst Mortal Kombat has never been the most technical or balanced fighter the new one is by far the best and easily holds its own with some great modes, however the story mode in it is easily on another level to any other fighting games offering, it was that games strongest point (although I did love being able to rate fellow party members in King of the Hill post fight).
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I should point out, what I was saying I thought they added in 4 was not the counter system itself but the paper-scissors-stone element of having separate commands to counter punches, kicks and low attacks as opposed to just high or low. I felt like it was too easy to counter stuff in previous versions I'd played and was simply comparing the two systems.

Happy to defer to you lot on that one though, I really haven't spent much time with the series.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Unless I'm using a simplified control scheme or something, I don't think that form of the counter system was added in DOA4, which I played to tide myself a little this morning (before getting to Alpha-152 and remembering why I hated playing that game). I was still just using a single button and aiming high, medium or low to counter attacks, regardless of whether they were punches or kicks.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm no expert on this game. We need Darren F/Kayin Amoh on this thread.
Kayin Amoh

Post by Kayin Amoh »

Doa 4 added Fwd+H to counter kicks. Up back and down back would do both, but mid attacks were forward for kicks and back for punches. Doa dimensions reverted it, Doa 5 reinstates it.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Just received a copy from OnePlay, it was more of a list filler but i'll give it a got for a couple of days at least.