Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)
14/04 - Drakengard 2 (Ending A)
28/04 - Drakengard 3 (Endings A-D)
02/05 - Rain
10/05 - God of War: Chains of Olympus HD
15/05 - God of War: Ghost of Sparta HD
24/05 - NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... (Endings A-E)
08/06 - Final Fantasy XV (NG+)
02/07 - God of War II HD
15/07 - Scarlet Nexus (Yuito)
20/07 - TRON: Evolution
21/07 - Sky: Children of the Light
01/08 - Scarlet Nexus (Kasane, NG+)
12/08 - Forza Horizon

Had a blast going through this again. My thoughts are still much as they were here. Great handling model, great aesthetic and atmosphere, really nice laid back game but which rewards pushing your skills too.

I have a few more things to add though. I played the vast majority of this on the Xbox One, but for the last leg I decided to hook up the old 360 and play on that instead. There's a few quirks with the emulated version that in many ways makes the original version a better time. It's stuff I have noticed before, but going through the career again definitely brought them back in to focus in a stronger way. The most obvious is the visual bugs. There's an effect in this game that makes your car look dirty the longer you drive it around, especially with brake dust collecting around the wheel arches. On the XB1 this is broken, and instead causes a weird crazy stripe effect to gradually appear over the top of the car. Not a big deal but kind of distracting, and it turns a neat subtle effect in to something annoying and ugly. There are also some cars where the livery editor is broken, and some parts of the world where the lighting is bugged, like certain road markings that glow pink in the night.

Another particularly annoying thing I got was that I kept getting kicked off Xbox Live every few minutes. But if I stay offline, the game stutters every so often randomly. It even seems to do it more frequently during races, when you really need to be concentrating much more. I think this is a problem with backward compatibility on the XB1 in general though. I've got it with other games, like with Tron: Evolution not long ago.

The big thing though is that the controls feel very noticeably different on XB1. It's way more delicate and difficult to handle on the emulated version. This could be a bug, but I think it's more likely to do with how the XB1 controller interprets inputs compared to the 360 pad. The sticks and triggers are much stiffer on the 360, so it's possible to be more precise with how far you pull/tilt them for small adjustments. But at the same time, I think there's more to it as well. Like the controller registers a lower fraction of input from the triggers on the 360 when they are pulled to the same degree as they might be on XB1. This is something I have noticed with other controllers too, how it is extremely hard to get a gradual progression of increasing input when slowly pulling down a trigger. There frequently seems to be a point where it jumps very quickly. It was an issue trying to get Gran Turismo 6 set up how I wanted for example. But what it means for this game is that on XB1 I find it way harder to keep grip in a lot of cars, which in turn makes the whole game more difficult. On 360 I can drive pretty much any class of car without any form of traction control and compete with Hard AI without too much trouble. On XB1 cars start becoming hard to manage as low as A Class, and on several occasions I was forced to swallow my pride and drop the AI difficulty down just to get by.

It's very strange how such a minor thing can make such a big difference to a game. It makes it obvious how precisely tuned this game was for the 360 controller. But it makes me wonder how much controller choice is factored in to game development in general. I believe it's not uncommon for developers to still use 360 pads while they are working on a game, and I wonder how much that ends up affecting how games feel once they ship. Do developers always know how much a controller can change the feel of their game? Is the general reception or individual experience of a game compromised because it was designed to work with a certain controller that players don't know about? I guess this will all be somewhat platform specific too. I feel like there might be more to this than one might assume.

But that's a very long way from talking about this game now... Anyway, it's still a banger. Still holds up almost a decade later.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:25 pmJAN - 80 Days (Android)
JAN - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
JAN - Judgment (PS4)
JAN - Donut County (Android)
FEB - Gorogoa (Android)
FEB - Horace (Switch)
FEB - Castlevania (NES on Switch)
FEB - Akumajō Dracula (Famicom on Switch)
MAR - Pinball FX3: Back To The Future (Switch)
MAR - Pinball FX3: E.T. (Switch)
APR - Fantasy Zone (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)
APR - Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4)
APR - There Is No Game: Game Jam Edition (Android)
MAY - Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch (Switch)
JUN - Super Mario 64 (Switch)
JUL - Silent Bomber JP (PS1 on Vita)
AUG - OutRun 2 (PSP on Vita)
AUG - OutRun 2 SP (PSP on Vita)
AUG - Ashen (Switch)
AUG - Papers, Please (Vita)

I'm not sure what prompted me to start playing this again recently, but it's such a good game and I've really enjoyed going back to it. I'd never reached an ending before, and having now done so I can see there are many different outcomes. I got ending 4 out of 20 (arrested and sent to prison!) so I'm certainly not finished with it yet. The beauty of the game is you can go back to carry on from any day you've already played, so no need to go all the way back to the beginning.

It's really interesting too how as you play you learn all the towns and document seals etc so don't need to keep referring to the in-game handbook on the desk. It actually tempts you in to starting from scratch because you know how much quicker and more efficient you are after a few hours of playing.

This is such a unique game, nothing else quite like it as far as I know. I can imagine it being a bit easier on an iPad or something where you have more screen space as the Vita port does get a bit crowded and fiddly when you've got about 5 separate documents all spread out on the desk and need to check them all, but other than that this is a good version of the game. Everyone here has probably already played it years ago, but if you've not, give it a try, it's really compelling to keep having another go!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Axiom Verge 2

Once again, I was pulled in by the atmosphere and stayed for the metroidvania loop. Absolutely fantastic but with a few minor gripes.

The enemies hit a little too hard at the start, the world map navigation can be a little bit obtuse at times and the music had too many lady wailing sound effects over it but overall absolutely play it if you like the genre or the first time even if it's quite different to it.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Finish #22 - I finally finished Chrono Trigger.

I still like Chrono Cross better.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Judgment (PS4)
FEB - Gorogoa (Android)
FEB - Horace (Switch)
AUG - Ashen (Switch)
AUG - Scramble (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)

I've had the Konami Arcade Anniversary collection for ages and thought I'd get round to giving it a proper go. Might as well start at the beginning. Scramble is one of the first scrolling shmups, and it's not especially good, but it's fairly fun for an hour or so. I got to the 3rd loop on one credit, so that'll do for me. Took a bit of practice to get that, but once I'd done the loop once the game doesn't get especially more difficult, your fuel just seems to run out quicker. I only died in the end because I kept missing fuel. Glad I played it, but hard to recommend other than to anyone with a real interest in the genre as a history lesson!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of the Sea - Series X.
(Jan) Remember Me - PS3.
(Jan) Ghostbusters Remastered - Series X
(Feb) Disney Infinity 2.0 - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Sacred 3 - PS3.
(Feb) The Darkness II - PS3.
(Feb) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PS3.
(Mar) Gears 5: Hivebusters - Series X.
(Mar) Silent Hill: Downpour - PS3.
(Mar) The Medium - Series X.
(Mar) Donut County - Series X.
(Mar) Astro's Playroom - PS5.
(Apr) Outriders - Series X.
(May) Lego City Undercover - Wii U.
(May) Ghost of Tsushima - PS5.
(May) Resident Evil Village - PS5.
(May) Dantes Inferno - Series X(BC).
(May) Streets of Rage 4 - Series X.
(May) Dead Space - Series X(BC).
(June) Matterfall - PS5.
(June) Battlefield 4 - Series X.
(Aug) Metro Exodus + DLCs - Series X.
(Aug) Mass Effect 1 Legendary Edition - Series X.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
13/01 - Sludge Life
02/05 - Rain
02/07 - God of War II HD
12/08 - Forza Horizon
18/08 - A Plague Tale: Innocence

I've had some interest in this game for a while, because the composer is the same as the one who did the excellent soundtrack to Vampyr. So since this was given away as a freebie lately I finally had a chance to try it out.

Honestly I wasn't that impressed by it. While the soundtrack has some good elements and it's visually impressive, I didn't care for the actual game itself. It's based around a very rudimentary stealth system, which is a genre I rarely enjoy at the best of times. But even if you're in to the genre I don't think this game offers anything appealing or unique, and it comes with sluggish controls here as well. There's also a simple crafting system which doesn't really add anything to the experience.

It feels like the gameplay is meant to be minimal as to merely be support for the story, but that was pretty uninteresting too. The only exception being some elements near the end which were cool in concept, but didn't land in a compelling way. Characters are also pretty dull with poor voice acting. Maybe it's better in the native French but the English felt flat. It tries to push the relationship between the two sibling protagonists, but it's not developed well, and a lot of the runtime is spent on basic plot progression instead.

I'm not exactly surprised I was left nonplussed by this though. I knew going in that the genre wasn't to my tastes, and connecting it to a game I do like just through the composer doesn't really count for much. But I played the whole thing and gave it as honest a try as I could. I guess I would have had a better time just replaying Vampyr instead.
Kasuga-san

Post by Kasuga-san »

ThirdDrawing wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:37 am Finish #22 - I finally finished Chrono Trigger.

Blasphemy! :)
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Kasuga-san wrote: August 18th, 2021, 11:03 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:37 am Finish #22 - I finally finished Chrono Trigger.

Blasphemy! :)
No way, Hose A! :P

In fact, I'm at my parents visiting for a week for my birthday (technically today!) and I think I will bust Chrono Cross out for a playthrough. Thanks for the inspiration!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Judgment (PS4)
FEB - Gorogoa (Android)
FEB - Horace (Switch)
AUG - Ashen (Switch)
AUG - Scramble (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)
AUG - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)

I'm going to preface this by saying Bayonetta 2 is a good game, and I enjoyed it. But man, it really was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in gaming in recent years. It's just not a patch on the first game. The budget had clearly been slashed, with almost static cut scenes for most the game, and gone were most of the big arena combat areas where you'd take on waves of big groups of enemies. The game seemed to favour one on one battles with boss type characters, over and over again. Sometimes an entire chapter was just one or two of these fights. The story was boring and confusing to the point I just started skipping some of the endless exposition before fights as it was so fucking tedious. I know the first game didn't have a great story, and that's not why we play these games, but it didn't annoy me.

I prefaced this by saying I think Bayonetta is a good game, but having written this out I'm not sure I can say I honestly think that. It's got great combat, but as an overall package, it seriously misses the mark for me. And that's a real shame.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
13/01 - Sludge Life
02/05 - Rain
02/07 - God of War II HD
12/08 - Forza Horizon
18/08 - A Plague Tale: Innocence
21/08 - Contrast

This is a fun little puzzle platformer that I've always had something of a soft spot for, despite it being largely forgotten. It was run at SGDQ this year and so that got it back on my mind, and with me having my old 360 hooked up at the moment I figured I might as well give it another run through.

I still like it, but it's definitely very janky. It's got some cool ideas and a great aesthetic, but the execution is pretty rough. The main conceit of solving puzzles by being able to merge in to a wall and use shadows to platform over things is interesting and fun, and they come up with a couple of ways to make it more interesting like moving around the light source to change how shadows appear to make platforms. The kind of cabaret, art nouveau dream world is still very cool and atmospheric as well.

But the mechanics are extremely unreliable and can be frustrating at times. You can't really be sure the game will respond to a button press, and the momentum and collisions feel really bad. Thankfully it doesn't ever ask much from your twitch skills, but it does make basic interaction with the game less than ideal. On 360 the performance is pretty bad too. A lot of frame drops, screen tearing, and the occasional visual bug. But I can overlook most of the problems and appreciate what they were going for here. It's a nice little game.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

06/01 - Monster Hunter: Iceborne (PS4/PS5)
22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
15/02 - The Pathless (PC)
06/03 - Homeworld: Remastered (PC)
07/03 - Demon's Souls [Remake] (PS5)
07/03 - Little Nightmares (PC)
05/04 - It Takes Two (PC)
11/05 - Resident Evil Village (PS5)
23/05 - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS3)
17/06 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
13/07 - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
21/08 - Hypnospace Outlaw (PC)

Thoughts on the pod!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Donut County - Xbox One
Jan - Eastshade - Xbox One
Mar - Nier: Automata - Xbox One (All Endings, All Achievements)
Mar - Call Of The Sea - Xbox One (100%)
Apr - The Little Acre - Xbox One (Story complete/ 60% achievements)
Apr - Deliver Us The Moon - Xbox One (story complete / 94% achievements)
May - Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Xbox One (main campaign story / 82% achievements)
15th August - Raji: An Ancient Journey - Xbox One (story / 90% achievements)

Got to the end of this last week - a little bit of a sudden ending really. My knowledge of Indian epics is lacking but this very much reached a point of 'and this story will continue in the next one', without any real attempt to have it as a contained story with a sequel hook. I'm interested in the narrative here but I'm not certain the game has done enough to warrant a sequel. The graphics are very atmospheric - switching from shadow puppet cut-scenes to that slight shimmer that definitely harks back to the Prince of Persia Sands of Time games and which I like - but the camera is so far out that the enemy tells are very hard to spot. In fact, I think I likened it to the original God Of War somewhere else but the first of those Sands of Time games is a much more appropriate comparison, complete with the stiff combat where you have to do the same few moves over and over. There is a vague attempt to provide some variety with the different weapons and the choice of upgrades but the combat is so hard to read from the distance the camera is placed that you end up with the same couple of moves regardless of your weapon choice - until you get the final weapon that then just allows you to spam it's attack from wherever you are.
The voice acting was a little wooden, with one of the two main narrators proving to be poorly balanced against the audio track and some very odd pronunciations, which may have been due to their level of familiarity with English to be fair. My daughters watching the game I think were fine with it but I did end up a little frustrated with the slow narration for the historical bits, more so with the combat and particularly with a few jumping sections where the game appeared to be in 2.5D but was actually in 3D ...
None of the achievements were particularly tough - and the only two left are both tied to one location which I obviously didn't explore properly.
I actually would like to see a second game here - but I really would like them to spend a little more time to polish the game in more than just it's aesthetics ...
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

https://www.patreon.com/posts/55200647

Metroid - NES - No Deaths/All Bosses/Under One Hour.

I know there are a few of you fine folks on Patreon, it'll go live on general on Wednesday.
I can do better than this as well, sub 50 minutes is the goal.
Loads of fun.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

47:30 today with a different route. Didn't record it. Going to try and do it live. I can do faster than that though. There's still a few holes I need to address.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I finished every part of Root Letter: Last Answer today. I guess I shouldn't complain that this is a visual novel that clocks in at about 10 hours, but I found the main story very shallow. The game was sold to me as a murder mystery where you're uncovering this hidden past event, but when you find out what happened (even with the branching storylines) it's not really a massive revelation.

The characters all felt underdeveloped too, especially as their basically just a couple of character traits with a face and some very cruel nicknames. Inspired by Shibuya Scramble, I only played the game in the "live action" mode, which I think helped the characters have more personality (by that I mean any). The main character is also a dick and way too overfamiliar with these people he only knows from a series of short letters.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

1. GRIS
2. My Friend Pedro
3. Doom Eternal
4. Donut County
5. What Remains of Edith Finch
6. Luigi's Mansion 3
7. Locomotive
8. Bowsers Fury
9. Mafia Definitive Edition
10. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
11. Halo: Combat Evolved (Anniversary Edition)
12. It Takes Two
13. Mario Golf Super Rush
14. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
I really loved this game. I thought the majority of the bosses were great and the dungeons some of the most ingenious I have experienced with the Zelda games I have played, particularly the final dungeon with the time shifting ball. I played the whole game in handheld with the stick controls and didn't have a problem with them and the controlling the camera with the left shoulder button quickly became second nature. My only criticism would be that there seemed to be too much toing and froing between locations to basically fetch and deliver things which was a little boring, particularly in the last quarter of the game which requires more flying between worlds and the flying isn't particularly interesting. Overall though I am so glad I played it and would consider it to be my second favourite Zelda of those I've played. 9/10
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Live now.
So much fun doing this.
So many more clears to do as well.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

06/01 - Monster Hunter: Iceborne (PS4/PS5)
22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
15/02 - The Pathless (PC)
06/03 - Homeworld: Remastered (PC)
07/03 - Demon's Souls [Remake] (PS5)
07/03 - Little Nightmares (PC)
05/04 - It Takes Two (PC)
11/05 - Resident Evil Village (PS5)
23/05 - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS3)
17/06 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
13/07 - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
21/08 - Hypnospace Outlaw (PC)
27/08 - Death's Door (PC)

Really great take on top down Zelda with a ton of personality.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of the Sea - Series X.
(Jan) Remember Me - PS3.
(Jan) Ghostbusters Remastered - Series X
(Feb) Disney Infinity 2.0 - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Sacred 3 - PS3.
(Feb) The Darkness II - PS3.
(Feb) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PS3.
(Mar) Gears 5: Hivebusters - Series X.
(Mar) Silent Hill: Downpour - PS3.
(Mar) The Medium - Series X.
(Mar) Donut County - Series X.
(Mar) Astro's Playroom - PS5.
(Apr) Outriders - Series X.
(May) Lego City Undercover - Wii U.
(May) Ghost of Tsushima - PS5.
(May) Resident Evil Village - PS5.
(May) Dantes Inferno - Series X(BC).
(May) Streets of Rage 4 - Series X.
(May) Dead Space - Series X(BC).
(June) Matterfall - PS5.
(June) Battlefield 4 - Series X.
(Aug) Metro Exodus + DLCs - Series X.
(Aug) Mass Effect 1 Legendary Edition - Series X.
(Aug) Maneater(1000GS) - Series X.