Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DeadpoolNegative

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

I still say Kiwami 2 is the best of the series, the PS2 original and the remake. It's just so memorable, and has an amazing finish, and the female lead actually has agency. 3 is definitely a comedown, and I'm actually working through the remastered version on XBox One.

--Dan
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Donut County - Xbox One
Jan - Eastshade - Xbox One
Mar - Nier: Automata - Xbox One (All Endings, All Achievements)
Mar - Call Of The Sea - Xbox One (100%)
5th April - The Little Acre - Xbox One (Story complete/ 60% achievements)

This was something of surprise - I hadn't realised just how short this game was. Spent less than three hours on it (and it can be run in less than an hour ...). It's pretty well crafted with it's hand-drawn style cartoon animations but suffers from the issue of all point and click games where the immersion is shattered when you inadvertently click again on something and get the same canned response. I'm not certain if the idea was always for it to be so short (and so appeal more to the younger end of the market) or whether it had to be truncated at some point. Certainly it felt as if there was much more story to come. And it just didn't.

6th April - Deliver Us The Moon - Xbox One (story complete / 94% achievements)

Unlike the last game, this ended up a little longer than expected but never really felt like the narrative was being padded out. I complained about the controls at the beginning and, though I become more adapted, they never improved - the default turn speed of the camera became quickly far too slow and the sprint mechanic always seemed a little janky. There were a couple of bits, particularly towards the end where the game seemed to think it had to add some more gamey elements and honestly these took away from the story - itself rather touching against the narrative of restoring power to a moonbase to then restore power to Earth. This leaves GamePass in mid-April and if you have an interest in the more narrative based games (1st person puzzlers, walking sims, etc) then this may be worth trying out while you can
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

DeadpoolNegative wrote: April 7th, 2021, 4:47 am I still say Kiwami 2 is the best of the series, the PS2 original and the remake. It's just so memorable, and has an amazing finish, and the female lead actually has agency. 3 is definitely a comedown, and I'm actually working through the remastered version on XBox One.

--Dan
It really is up there for me, and yeah that final battle was a memorable one alright. Even though I was a tad overpowered, the atmosphere of that fight really seemed fitting for a guy like Ryuji Goda. That rude underpants stealing kid really grew up to be something else! Kaoru is definitely the most compelling female character so far and I always enjoyed taking down criminals with her. Kind of interested to see what happens with these two as the series progresses.

I have heard some mixed things about 3 so my plan is to wait a couple of months before I play it. The base formula of these games is so enjoyable for me that I will probably be happy just to get back to it but I think some distance between Kiwami 2 and 3 might prevent me from making too many comparisons. Still, the characters, world and mythos that this series has built up so far has pulled me in far too much that I cannot justify missing it. In too deep, can't back out now.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 14th, 2021, 10:10 am Jan - Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
Jan - Gears 5: Hivebusters (XSX)
Can't believe I've not posted on the forum since January! WTF happened to February and March!

Anyway, I have been playing and completing video games!

Feb - Yakuza 0 (XSX)

Played this via Game Pass, and it's my first ever experience of Yakuza despite actually buying a few of the games on various platforms over the years.

The love for this particular entry seems pretty universal, and I'm not going to disagree. It's a brilliant, bonkers ride that is so brimming with content it's really quite extraordinary. Also as a Shenmue devotee, while they are incredibly different games/series in many ways, the DNA of Yu Suzuki's magnum opus is evident throughout, which instantly made me feel at home.

I could go on for hours about this game, but there are enough great write-ups out there already so I shall spare you. Suffice to say, I loved it.

Mar - Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (PS1 via Vita)

A 2.5D platformer that seems to have become a bit of a cult classic, and I can absolutely see why. This is a tightly designed, clever platformer with endearing characters populating an imaginative world. It really is rather lovely.

Klonoa is also a perfect case in point for why Sony shutting down the Vita store is such a complete travesty. Right now, you can buy and play Klonoa on Vita for just a few quid. Easy peasy. When that option is blinked out of existence, physical PS1 copies of this game sell for £150-£200+! Basically this wonderful game is being taken away from all but the wealthiest of collectors or those willing and able to go down the emulation route, which frankly they shouldn't have to. Bloody Sony...

Mar - Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)

A gorgeous platformer from Sumo, made in my adopted home city of Sheffield!

It plays wonderfully, is full of imagination, looks great, and sounds even better. Seriously, if you like a good old fashioned platformer and haven't given Sackboy a try, then stop sleeping on this game and pick it up - you won't regret it!

Also, if you're a PS5 owner looking for a game that actually takes advantage of your shiny new console (let's be honest - there isn't much is there!), then Sackboy is also worth a look. It might not be graphically mind-blowing (although it does look lovely!), but it's utilisation of the haptics in the Dual Sense is really fantastic, as is the 3D sound when played with a decent set of headphones.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#8 - MediEvil (PS4)

What a great game! I had no experience with MediEvil before this game, despite having a PS1 as a kid. But man did I ever love this game! I even got the Platinum, only the third on I've ever gotten... And to be fair, it's an easy Plat, but I enjoyed my time getting it.

What's good about it? Well... Theming. That's kinda the biggest thing for me I think. It's got this kooky 90s gothic thing going on. It's not quite Tim Burton, but I could see the similarities. The game doesn't take itself seriously, the humour is goofy without being annoying, and the general horror theming just feels comfy for me.

But I like the overall design. The levels are built in such a few that solving them the first go around is, if not difficult, at least a trial. It takes a lot of puzzle solving and efficient disposal of enemies. But what's great about them is how short they become when you know the solution; sort of like minesweeping, you go very slowly to find the mines, but once you know the correct path, it's easy. I've never been into speed running, but this is the sort of game I think I'd enjoy speedrunning - if I had to choose one.

I like the number and diversity of bosses. I like the variety of weapons - including a chicken leg that can be thrown at enemies to turn them into health-curing roast chicken. I like Sir Daniel Fortesque as an unlikely hero - he has an arc, but it's not constantly in your face. As you get better at the game, he becomes more of a true hero. The music is generally great too, even if a handful of tracks repeat a bit too often (such is the life of a faithful PS1 remake).

But there are a few downsides. I've seen a few reviews stating, "It's biggest problem is PS1 game design!" And like... Honestly, that's complete bullshit. This game felt modern and fun to play in 2021. What what DOES irk me is some of the wonky collision, especially in platforming segments. Any time the ground isn't completely flat, it's kinda 50/50 whether you'll land on it or slide off it. THIS feels like PS1 jank, but not having played the original, I can't be sure. I also had a few bugs where the camera would fuck off out of the level completely, especially in cave levels. It would just... not transition to the correct screen, and appear below the level, or pointing at a wall. Real weird. Only fix was backing out to the map. There was also another bug during a boss fight where the death zone (a giant hole) had collision, and I was walking on top of a hole, soft-locked.

But really, a few technical knit-picks were not enough to marr the experience for me. I really enjoyed this one, and for the $16 I paid for a brand new copy, I'd highly recommend it.

And as a bonus? If you complete some late-game optional side objectives, you unlock the original MediEvil for PS1! I only had a quick look, but the emulation seems pretty good.

Get this one!

&iso2021
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah interesting, I had no idea you could unlock the original. My kids played this when I had PS Now and enjoyed it, but if I'd realised the original was unlockable I'd have took a closer look!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

10. Yakuza Like a Dragon
Enjoyed it overall for all the typical Yakuza game stuff which makes them so good and didn’t mind the change to combat. However I didn’t enjoy the grinding aspect of it one bit and whilst still good, the story didn’t grab me like Zero or Judgement and hence would be my least favourite of the 3 I’ve played. 7/10
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#9 - Star Wars Episode 1: Racer (PS4)

Another great game from the late 90s!

So like... There's not much to talk about with this one. It's actually a very short and fairly easy game; which is weird, because I had memories of it being balls hard when I played it on like Windows 98. Dunno if this port is made easier? Hard to say.

Anyway, this is some of the most fun I've had with a racing game. It's surprisingly technical; if you can't get a solid grasp of the boost and braking mechanics to control your turns and use straightaways, you won't do well. And there seems to be a sort of threshold; if you can't get ahead of the peloton, you can't win... If you get ahead of the peloton, it's very hard for the AI to catch you. But going at breakneck speed and hitting the brakes or repair or boost at exactly the right second is deeply satisfying.

But it very obviously isn't perfect... It feels rather insubstantial, but it's also a game from 1999. You get 25 tracks, and they're over in 3-10 minutes. Once you've placed first in every race and unlocked everything, that's kind of it. But with a modern lens, this game being sold digitally for like $10, that's honestly a fair value.

It has some weird technical issues too... Collision is super inconsistent, and there's been times where I was turning on a flat surface, only to have my racer crash on invisible geometry. This port also has a bug where the map will just... Vanish. And the only solution is closing the game from the home screen and starting back up. The economy in this game sucks too - there's a finite amount of cash you can gain in a single save file, and if you don't have a guide to breaking the economy, you'll never be able to obtain the best parts. And sadly, this locks you out of a gold trophy - the only trophy I couldn't get.

But all that said, I thoroughly enjoyed the 8ish hours I spent on this one for trophies. It's a great racer, and while it has signs of age, it still holds up incredibly well. I didn't know I needed this sort of racer in my life, but I promptly bought the PS2 sequel.

&iso2021
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xDB7q ... noLPSmtPnf

That's the playlist link.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA.
Never played it before, but absolutely loved it.
Made it into 9 parts and got both endings.
Also enjoyed using a lantern to make the thumbnail!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

January 15th - Spiderman (PS4)
January 17th - Labo VR goggles and camera (Switch)
March 19th - Labo VR blaster (Switch)
March 19th - Bowser's Fury (Switch)

April 12th - Bloodborne + Old Hunters DLC (PS4)

I'd been building up the energy reserves to tackle this since I bought my PS4 last year. See I very much get the appeal and adoration of Dark Souls, having beaten it a year or two back, but it took a lot out of me to do so. And whilst that games opening half and DLC is fantastic, I thought the back half largely stank.

But Bloodborne had its claws in me from the off. The music, the art direction and the more front footed combat all are right up my street and I knew within a few hours that this would be a game I'd enjoy more.

And boy did I. I see why it's regarded as a must play PS4 experience. I'd comfortably put it in a list of my favourite games ever and never felt the same drudgery or anger I felt when playing Dark Souls.

I played the game largely blind at first, resorting in using the odd walkthrough if I was repeatedly getting stuck or not making sense of the in game messages, and used a Dark Souls thread on another board to ask questions about what items do and where to go next. They in turn gave me great pointers to 'maybe go see that person now' or 'consider consuming that item at this point', which was immensely helpful. I still can't quite decide if it's great game design to have a playthrough only make sense through consulting others, and I would have definitely missed some of the best content in the game without their advice, but equally it does make the game very special and addictive. Just a bit of a barrier to entry and off putting at first.

But I love so much about Bloodborne. The combat was exhilarating. I ended many evenings with sweaty palms and unable to go to bed for an hour due to coursing adrenalin.

I had fights that will stay with me forever, particularly those with (I'll use initials for spoilers) CB, WOH, GEH, RTV and MTWM. I had fights I surprised myself in and did first or second time (BSB, FG, MP). Fights that took me several days but, upon completion, were the most thrilling experiences I've had in gaming (VA, ML, OOK). And fights I bonded with other players over (LU, SOY, LM).

And the sections and areas around those bosses are so, so good. Bar some bullshit frenzy areas and a small area of the DLC I loved every single environment I fought (or in a few cases sprinted) my way through.

And bar a few hours where ML nailed me repeatedly, I also never really had issues with difficulty imbalance. I always felt like my capabilities, weapons, levels and enemies broadly aligned. The only point where I felt a notable step up was probably starting the DLC at level 65 or so, and needing to go away for a bit and do some of it co-op, due to the punishment I was taking. But I levelled up to 95 by its end and was proud to take LF and OOK down solo.

I am now in the process of hoovering up all the Bonfireside Chat lore and YouTube videos to make sense of the story and can we'll see myself replaying it down the line.

So all in all, I see why people call Bloodborne a masterpiece. It felt enjoyable to play in a way that Dark Souls didn't always, to me anyhow, and it just feels a more consistent, even and finished title.

I think I'll return to Yarnham again one day to prolong the hunt.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)
14/04 - Drakengard 2 (Ending A)

As I have alluded to before, this one is much better to actually play than the first, but it ended up being a less interesting experience overall. Gameplay is more engaging with more responsive, impactful, and deeper combat, but it's still not what I would call "good" exactly. Just okay.

But the tone of the game and its story are much less unique and compelling compared to the first. A much lighter tone in general, with a story that doesn't delve in to any of the strange or compelling stuff in the same way. The dialogue and voice acting aren't great either. It's pretty wooden for the most part. The only exception being the voice of the dragon Legna, which was pretty commendable. Also, I was surprised to hear that a lot of the minor characters here are voiced by the same actors as from Fable 1. I associate those voices to strongly with that game, it's strange to hear them somewhere else.

It's not totally without interesting things going on in the plot however. But in a way that makes it sort of disappointing. There are elements here that add interesting things to the lore, and it brings up topics that could fit right in with the extremely dark tone of the first. But none of them are fully explored or executed very well. It's a shame, as I could see a version of this game that takes those elements and make a worthy successor to the first, but it misses the mark. That's what you get when Yoko Taro isn't around I guess.

Also I only went for the first ending here. There's only three in total, but still I just went and looked up the others rather than going for them myself. To unlock them you have to play through the entire game each time. That seems really unappealing, and even more unreasonable than any other game in this universe. For as much as people talk about how you have to play the Nier games multiple times through, that's never really been totally true. And there was at least only one tedious ending in Drakengard 1, and even that didn't force you through a linear playthrough of the whole game again without any way to be more efficient about it. And seeing what the endings for this game are, ironically the last ending is pretty similar to the first. So the reward you get for putting in the time to see everything is a minor variation of the ending you spent the least time to get to.

Haven't decided yet if I'm going on to Drakengard 3 right away. I have it all prepared to go, downloaded all the DLC and everything. But the Nier remake is out soon and I don't see myself being able to finish it before then. Unsure if I want to overlap two Taro games as once as well.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

April 18th - Star Wars: Battlefront 2 campaign (PS4)

This is the absolute epitome of a 7/10 experience.

As someone still making their way through their PS4 backlog, there were multiple times the graphics in this floored me and it felt AWESOME to be playing through such a great looking and sounding Star Wars experience.

And the timeline the game is set within is by far the era I think most ripe for exploration; it follows what happens when the second Death Star falls and the two sides are both fragmented.

The story runs with this brilliantly and I honestly think the opening 1/3 of the game is more interesting narratively than the Disney films managed to be. But then it lurches towards predictable fan service and you play through a bunch of familiar locations as legacy characters, and I kinda lost a lot of interest.

Still, it's nice to be in the thick of the battle that led to Jakku looking like a Star Destroyer scrap yard and witness the fall of the Empire from Endor's surface. Shriv was a well written and amusing side character too.

Gameplay wise, when you're in a spaceship it's cool. When you're on foot shooting it's ok, weirdly a bit more so in first person view. When you have a lightsaber, it's total crap.

But I did enjoy my time feeling like I was living out my best life in a Star Wars adventure.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Very much mirrors my feelings on Battlefront 2. I bought it just to play the campaign and in those early hours it's great. It really felt like being on Endor as the second Death Star was destroyed, seeing the fallout and how the Empire responded. For the price you can get it now (and it has been free in a couple of places) I think most Star Wars fans would get a kick out of the cool visuals and aesthetic.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I finished Sunset Overdrive and it's two DLC missions last night. Didn't realize I was so close to the end...
The main game is a lot of fun, glad I gave it a go. Gamepass really got me playing those "I'm interested but not $20 interested" games and it's worked out for me.
The DLC on the oil rig was fun but I didn't love the DLC in the robot factory. But, all in all, a good time. Worth playing for sure.
Leon mentioned that Jet Set is a bit stiff these days, but I might still give it a go, just out of gamer due diligence.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jon Cheetham wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:05 am Very much mirrors my feelings on Battlefront 2. I bought it just to play the campaign and in those early hours it's great. It really felt like being on Endor as the second Death Star was destroyed, seeing the fallout and how the Empire responded. For the price you can get it now (and it has been free in a couple of places) I think most Star Wars fans would get a kick out of the cool visuals and aesthetic.
Absolutely! Paid £6 for it and have also had a few fun evenings playing Starfighters mode with friends.

Don't get the appeal of the game as a cover shooter at all. Feels so horrible to control and shoot in. But in space, it's a blast
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

seansthomas wrote: April 19th, 2021, 6:51 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:05 am Very much mirrors my feelings on Battlefront 2. I bought it just to play the campaign and in those early hours it's great. It really felt like being on Endor as the second Death Star was destroyed, seeing the fallout and how the Empire responded. For the price you can get it now (and it has been free in a couple of places) I think most Star Wars fans would get a kick out of the cool visuals and aesthetic.
Absolutely! Paid £6 for it and have also had a few fun evenings playing Starfighters mode with friends.

Don't get the appeal of the game as a cover shooter at all. Feels so horrible to control and shoot in. But in space, it's a blast
Nice, the dog fights in the starfighters are a highlight of the campaign too. I thought they nailed that aspect of it.

And for 6 quid, well worth it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:25 pmJAN - 80 Days (Android)
JAN - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
JAN - Judgment (PS4)
JAN - Donut County (Android)
FEB - Gorogoa (Android)
FEB - Horace (Switch)
FEB - Castlevania (NES on Switch)
FEB - Akumajō Dracula (Famicom on Switch)
MAR - Pinball FX3: Back To The Future (Switch)
MAR - Pinball FX3: E.T. (Switch)
APR - Fantasy Zone (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)
APR - Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4)

I've got a week off between finishing my placement and starting work, so making the most of this spare time by playing games...

I really enjoyed this, far more than the general consensus suggested I might. Impressive crowds, fun assassinations, new gadgets and tricks, I think it's a solid entry in the series. I've got Syndicate to play next as part of my currently 3 years long playthrough of the whole series, and looking forward to starting it this evening.
Gadget8Bit

Post by Gadget8Bit »

14/04/2021 - Dead Space 3 (co-op)

What a monumentally stupid game.

I loved Dead Space 1 & 2. They were brilliant, tense, cinematic horror games. They married excellent horror chops with slick videogame design. I knew going in that DS3 wasn’t as good, but my god.

For a start, Dead Space 3 isn’t scary. At all. I counted 3 jump scares that got any kind of reaction from me.

The story is barely serviceable. At its best it’s the equivalent of a 20 year old forgotten paperback science fiction novel written by an author you’ve never heard of. At its worst, it’s utterly insulting.

The co-op barely works. We would regularly start sessions by spending up to 20 minutes getting the EA servers to actually allow us into a game together.

There’s no tension in the game. Far too many encounters with enemies consist of waves of them running straight at you. The human enemies in the game have the dumbest AI of any game I’ve played in the last 10 years.

EA’s insistence on a crafting mechanic combined with microtransactions has hobbled this game. Crafting new items or armour upgrades is tediously slow because of the super slow rate you acquire crafting materials. All the time it tells you that you can just buy the materials you need.

The game throws healing items and ammo at you. There was only one point in the game where I ever felt short of ammo or had to concentrate on landing perfect shots.

Don’t bother with Dead Space 3. It’s not fun, it’s just dull and pointless. Such a shame.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

April 18th - Star Wars: Battlefront 2 campaign (PS4)

April 19th - Journey (PS4)

I have always been curious to play this, given its iconic art style and reputation. Having done so now, I can see why it captured imaginations back on PS3 and how it was important for kicking off an awesome era of indie games.

Arguably some of what this game achieves has been bettered in recent years, both narratively and in atmosphere, and it's not actually that enjoyable to control or play once you get out of the desert, but the music, fleeting interactions and gorgeous graphics made it a pleasant enough way to spend a few hours. And you can see the impact it had for smaller developers in its style, length and artistic ambition.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

11. The Last of Us Part II - For the five thousandth time.

12. Disco Elysium - Admittedly the glitches affecting the PS4 version were a frustrating problem. But what a f*cking game!