Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: March 31st, 2021, 8:42 am Man, what a game. Sounds like you had a great time with it. I think I took almost six months to finish the game, and that was playing almost every day, and by the end I really felt like the world was a place I'd been and the characters were people I knew. I almost missed them when they were gone. The only other game I've ever had that with was Red Dead Redemption 2.
I was the same on both counts. I felt a huge sense of loss after finishing them and struggled to move onto another game afterwards.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Same. It's rare I get that attached to a group of characters. That's why I immediately did the dlc and started The Witcher 2 (which I've dropped off, tbf).
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

I'm sorry ok....
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:|
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There are just so many amazing games to play out there though...

:lol:
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Just finished Balan Wonderworld and found it to be a flawed, but fun and creative game with some delightfully off-kilter design ideas. It's been repeated ad nauseum but it does feel in many ways like a lost 6th gen era platformer and if you have any love for those games, you might be surprised by how much there is to enjoy here.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)

Not much to say that I didn't already say here, so I won't bother repeating all that. A very interesting game though, with a strange tone to it that grew on me over time. A kind of cosmic, apocalyptic feel where everything gets increasingly out of hand on a catastrophic level, but then just won't stop. Sort of like End of Evangelion in a way. I suppose there's some visual inspirations there too. I think I've heard Berserk does some similar things, but I'm not familiar enough to know about that. But as I've said before, to actually play it's a slog that is at best only bearable. It's more interesting to think about than actually play.

The structure is really interesting too. It's not really like Nier, where it makes you (partially) repeat the same story to see it from a different perspective, extending the ending each time. Instead it's got a far looser structure, where the endings are all sequential, yet they all contradict each other. And at certain points later chapters actually take place earlier in the story, so you're jumping around a bit too. It's like they came up with loads of different ways that this story could end, and instead of just sticking to one, they decided to include all of them. Which is a really cool way to think about storytelling. The pacing suffers for this though. Or rather, it's not that it's "bad" exactly, just extremely odd. It's like there's practically no first act, hardly any second act, but then five different third acts. Very strange, but again I kind of like it on a conceptual level.

I was a little disappointed that none of the characters seemed to amount to much though. I got the impression from hearing about this game that there was some dark, almost psychoanalytic stuff to be found here. Didn't really get any of that. Maybe it's hidden away in some supplemental material or something. But as is the story felt like it was far more interested in the plot, and it did some cool stuff there, so I'm not too bothered about it.

And I did just skip getting all the weapons and watch the a video of the final ending. It was interesting, but I definitely don't feel bad about not slogging through hours of grinding obscure stuff just for those extra 10 minutes.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

3 March: Double Kick Heroes (Xbox One)
4 March: Battletoads (Xbox One)
4 March: Jaws (ZX Spectrum)
8 March: Shao-Lin’s Road (ZX Spectrum)
9 March: Shao-Lin’s Road (Arcade on PS1)
10 March: The Medium (Xbox Series X)
13 March: Donut County (Xbox Series X)
15 March: Gears 5 (Xbox Series X)
18 March: Frankenstein’s Monster (Atari 2600)
19 March: Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)
21 March: Undertale (Xbox Series X)
25 March: Dragon Quest (Switch)
28 March: Wreckfest (Xbox Series X)

Not sure why I saw out the very average Battletoads and slightly less so Double Kick Heroes, but made up for it with classic (really!) text adventure Jaws, and time with Shao-Lin’s Road is never wasted! Then my new Xbox Series X appeared... Got through supernatural walking and sometimes running sim The Medium, which is fine if not very next-gen. Donut County was a surprisingly fun couple of hours too, same for the slightly longer, brilliantly crafted arcade and RPG Undertale, and Gears 5 then Wreckfest were stunning looking games and plenty of mindless fun if nothing especially memorable. Nothing not memorable about Frankenstein’s Monster though, especially the bonkers game over screen - it’s a 2600 game with an ending too! And we’re back to closed-door Academy football training, so back to some cool old handheld stuff as well!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Scrustle wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:45 pm
05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)

Not much to say that I didn't already say here, so I won't bother repeating all that. A very interesting game though, with a strange tone to it that grew on me over time. A kind of cosmic, apocalyptic feel where everything gets increasingly out of hand on a catastrophic level, but then just won't stop. Sort of like End of Evangelion in a way. I suppose there's some visual inspirations there too. I think I've heard Beserk does some similar things, but I'm not familiar enough to know about that. But as I've said before, to actually play it's a slog that is at best only bearable. It's more interesting to think about than actually play.

The structure is really interesting too. It's not really like Nier, where it makes you (partially) repeat the same story to see it from a different perspective, extending the ending each time. Instead it's got a far looser structure, where the endings are all sequential, yet they all contradict each other. And at certain points later chapters actually take place earlier in the story, so you're jumping around a bit too. It's like they came up with loads of different ways that this story could end, and instead of just sticking to one, they decided to include all of them. Which is a really cool way to think about storytelling. The pacing suffers for this though. Or rather, it's not that it's "bad" exactly, just extremely odd. It's like there's practically no first act, hardly any second act, but then five different third acts. Very strange, but again I kind of like it on a conceptual level.

I was a little disappointed that none of the characters seemed to amount to much though. I got the impression from hearing about this game that there was some dark, almost psychoanalytic stuff to be found here. Didn't really get any of that. Maybe it's hidden away in some supplemental material or something. But as is the story felt like it was far more interested in the plot, and it did some cool stuff there, so I'm not too bothered about it.

And I did just skip getting all the weapons and watch the a video of the final ending. It was interesting, but I definitely don't feel bad about not slogging through hours of grinding obscure stuff just for those extra 10 minutes.
I pretty much agree on all counts. I think teenage me would have persisted to see that secret ending. I genuinely think the tens of hours it would have taken to do just that would have been utterly wasted. Thank goodness for YouTube.

It’s definitely a great game to discuss and think about but you’re right that the playing of it is pretty painful. It does get better (or more bearable) once you come to terms with that.

Nier Automata works because the bonkers stuff is backed up by a solid game to play even if I prefer Nier’s narrative. I’m looking forward to the remaster/remake coming later this month and hope for more than a visual upgrade (even though that’s pretty much what i am expecting).
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Simonsloth wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:58 pm Nier Automata works because the bonkers stuff is backed up by a solid game to play even if I prefer Nier’s narrative. I’m looking forward to the remaster/remake coming later this month and hope for more than a visual upgrade (even though that’s pretty much what i am expecting).
I think there is supposed to be new content in the remake. It's something they have hinted at before, but I don't think they've ever gone in to exact details of what it will actually be. There are supposedly new roles for the voice actors of 9S and A2, so that might point to something.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:25 pmJAN - 80 Days (Android)
JAN - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
JAN - Judgment (PS4)
JAN - Donut County (Android)
FEB - Gorogoa (Android)
FEB - Horace (Switch)
FEB - Castlevania (NES on Switch)
FEB - Akumajō Dracula (Famicom on Switch)
MAR - Pinball FX3: Back To The Future (Switch)
MAR - Pinball FX3: E.T. (Switch)
APR - Fantasy Zone (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)

Default settings, my first ever 1cc! The key was realising that each of the bosses has a counter weapon that will make an absolute mockery of them, then I was banging my head against the final boss before trying it with the maximum speed upgrade, and did it first time. I've been plugging away at this for a few months, so it feels good to finally get a one credit completion!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Alex79uk wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:34 pm APR - Fantasy Zone (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)

Default settings, my first ever 1cc! The key was realising that each of the bosses has a counter weapon that will make an absolute mockery of them, then I was banging my head against the final boss before trying it with the maximum speed upgrade, and did it first time. I've been plugging away at this for a few months, so it feels good to finally get a one credit completion!
Nice one Alex. I love my Fantasy Zone but I remember the end of that being rough. Think I had that upgrade too!
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

Mafia: Definitive Edition XBox One- 1/3
Donut County XBox One- 1/24
The Little Acre XBox One- 1/27
Kentucky Route Zero: the TV Edition- PS4- 2/24
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of An Elusive Age Definitive Edition XBox One- 2/28 (Defeat of Lord of Shadows)
Ratchet and Clank (2016)- PS4- 3/11
L.A. Noire- XBox One- 3/12
Ghost of Tsushima- PS4- 3/2
I Saw Black Clouds- XBox One- 3/31

--Dan
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

06/01 - Monster Hunter: Iceborne (PS4/PS5)
22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
15/02 - The Pathless (PC)
06/03 - Homeworld: Remastered (PC)
07/03 - Demon's Souls [Remake] (PS5)
07/03 - Little Nightmares (PC)
05/04 - It Takes Two (PC)

The story is all over the place and potentially sends a foul message, but it's also one of the most fun co-op games I've ever played.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I grabbed the Panzer Dragoon Remake on sale for about $6. I did three playthroughs, died the first two, finished the game on the third. I'm almost hardpressed to say that's worth the $6, but it did give me a chance to play a game I've never played before, and that's something. Actually, it's the only rail shooter I've ever played to completion. The music is great and the weirdness of the world is compelling. I would play the 2nd game's remake when it comes out, but not at the full $25 price this game is normally.
The one thing I wish was part of the game was the option to play with the original graphics. I'd do another playthrough with that option.
Shy Monkeys

Post by Shy Monkeys »

Finished Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia recently, it was fine, but I hear better things about its sequel, so looking forward to that.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

duskvstweak wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:11 pm I grabbed the Panzer Dragoon Remake on sale for about $6. I did three playthroughs, died the first two, finished the game on the third. I'm almost hardpressed to say that's worth the $6, but it did give me a chance to play a game I've never played before, and that's something. Actually, it's the only rail shooter I've ever played to completion. The music is great and the weirdness of the world is compelling. I would play the 2nd game's remake when it comes out, but not at the full $25 price this game is normally.
The one thing I wish was part of the game was the option to play with the original graphics. I'd do another playthrough with that option.
Original version of Panzer Dragoon is an unlockable on Panzer Dragoon Orta for XB.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It is, but it's a bare bones emulation of the Windows PC conversion rather than a loving port of the Saturn original.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Alex79uk wrote: April 4th, 2021, 12:34 pm APR - Fantasy Zone (1cc) (Arcade on Switch)

Great stuff, mate! I never managed that, got closed several times but never got back over the line. Time to bump the shmups thread? :D

I would recommend Black Bird, by the way, if you liked Fantasy Zone. It's heavily influenced but with a weird presentation, almost like Terry Gilliam. On sale regularly on Switch these days.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

January 30: Celeste
February 12: Katamari Damacy Rerolled
February 28: Panzer Dragoon Remake
March 26: Donut County
April 4: Yakuza Kiwami 2

Will give full thoughts on episode thread but absolutely loved it. Adds a lot of small quality of life improvements and is almost equal to Zero in terms of enjoyment. Some very fun minigames are in this such as Virtual On!, Majima Construction and the return of the Cabaret club which was still addictive as all hell. Yakuza 3 will have a tough time following this one but I am fully in the grip of this series now so I am fully on board for whatever this mad franchise throws at me.