Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79uk wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Miririn wrote: February 21st, 2021, 2:17 pm It was really great to hear someone praising "The Witcher 3" on Switch. I've tried and failed (but I will try again) to get into the game a few times on PS4 and on Switch (I had it on Switch for full price but nabbed it in a sale on PS4 later because I heard the graphics were better - but I think I have whatever the visual equivalent of a tin ear is for FPS rates etc because I couldn't see much of a difference). Maybe if I treated it more like a portable beforw-bed novel and cranked the combat level down I might get into it more because I know the story is meant to be something really special. Thank you for the really interesting review!
The story in Witcher 3 is decent, but (and I know this is a bit of a cliché these days) the side quests are where the writing really shines. The much referenced Bloody Baron quest yes, but additionally some of the politics based missions set on the snowy island (Skelliga? It's been a while...) are outstanding. Getting involved in who should be the king/queen was one of the best parts of the game for me.
Yeah the clan politics in Skellige were top notch, plus a key side quest with Yennefer which I think is straight out of the books was really memorable.

I'm making sure to hit every side quest I can find even 155 hours in - don't want to miss anything. It's genuinely worth being thorough in this game. Just did one in the final expansion that nearly made me well up.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Spoiler: show
1.Gris
2. My Friend Pedro
3. Doom Eternal
4. Donut County
5. What Remains of Edith Finch
6. Luigi's Mansion 3
7. Loco Motive
This was brought to my attention by TCGS and an article by Andy Kelly on pcgamer. It's a pay what you want itch.io game which took me around 90 minutes to play through and was a truly wonderful little game. It's a point n click murder mystery set on a train and was genuinely funny, as in I actually laughed out loud on a couple of occasions and I was always smiling while playing it. Well worth playing.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

06/01 - Monster Hunter: Iceborne (PS4/PS5)
22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
15/02 - The Pathless (PC)
06/03 - Homeworld: Remastered (PC)
07/03 - Demon's Souls [Remake] (PS5)

I loved it and I think I prefer it to the original overall. The one thing I think the PS3 does better is the music. They need to patch in the original score!
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Alex79uk wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:50 pm
Miririn wrote: February 21st, 2021, 2:17 pm It was really great to hear someone praising "The Witcher 3" on Switch. I've tried and failed (but I will try again) to get into the game a few times on PS4 and on Switch (I had it on Switch for full price but nabbed it in a sale on PS4 later because I heard the graphics were better - but I think I have whatever the visual equivalent of a tin ear is for FPS rates etc because I couldn't see much of a difference). Maybe if I treated it more like a portable beforw-bed novel and cranked the combat level down I might get into it more because I know the story is meant to be something really special. Thank you for the really interesting review!
The story in Witcher 3 is decent, but (and I know this is a bit of a cliché these days) the side quests are where the writing really shines. The much referenced Bloody Baron quest yes, but additionally some of the politics based missions set on the snowy island (Skelliga? It's been a while...) are outstanding. Getting involved in who should be the king/queen was one of the best parts of the game for me.
I liked getting the old lady back her pan. I want to be a Friendly Neighbourhood Witcher who goes around helping out and ignores the griffin task I'm meant to be doing.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
07/03 - Little Nightmares (PC)

Very good Limbo/Inside-a-like. Some really creepy imagery.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Combine Hunter wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:35 pm
22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
07/03 - Little Nightmares (PC)

Very good Limbo/Inside-a-like. Some really creepy imagery.
Ah interesting, glad it's decent because I added both games to my Switch wishlist this morning after my son was watching his favorite streamer (some unbearable young chap who just shouts all the time. I just don't get it) playing through the second one. Looked pretty good.

Not entirely sure it's suitable for a 5 year old to be watching, but what you gonna do, I'm not claiming to be parent of the year... :|
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

8. NieR:Automata

A fantastic and creative game. Combat and hacking (once I got used to twin-stick-shooter stuff) were intuitive and addictive. The story could turn on a dime from intelligent and thoughtful to melodramatic anime screaming, but the emotional parts that did work hit hard. The meta aspects were my favourite parts - Ending E, the menu-ing, the pods. The actual philosophy stuff was cool, although it admittedly wasn't a big departure from other books/films that use robots or androids to explore the meaning of existence/self.... but I loved the creative exploration of these ideas, and the mix of different styles of storytelling (dialogue/text on screen, hacking a library for lore etc).

I worried Ending E would be a bit gimmicky but did find it quite moving (I got a tear in my eye!). I think the emotional music was a big part of that. And what music! It's absolutely my favourite of the game music I've come across (in my admittedly limited experience) so far. I normally don't pay much attention to game music, but I've been listening to this gorgeous soundtrack constantly. Sound design was also great, loved the sound of me running around clicking in my ridiculous heels, and the robots, and the bleep bloops while I hacked.

There were some things I loathed - Adam and Eve were a diet copy-paste version of every embarrassingly cheesy bishounen "crazy" villain from every gothic shojo manga I read as an awkward thirteen-year-old. The fanservice was also pretty gross - I actually really liked the character design of 2B with the blindfold and the beautifully animated flaring skirt, but it's always cringe to play a game that takes itself very seriously but also has fan service *that* blatant. It's a bit more forgivable in games that are deliberately trashy and exaggerated.

BUT everything else was so great, and I had such a fun time playing, and the music was so beautiful, that this game has entered my top ten for sure. I'm really looking forward to the "NieR:Replicant" remake now!
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Donut County - Xbox One
Jan - Eastshade - Xbox One

09.03.21 - Nier: Automata - Xbox One (All Endings, All Achievements)

Wow ...

been playing this off and on since it hit Game Pass last summer and completed my time with it at a little under 59 hours. For most of that time, this game has been captivating - the graphics are gorgeous, the sound is stunning. If you haven't played this game yet, it's worth doing so.

However, there are some caveats - while the character design is lovely, there is some blatant fan service so you may need to consider who is watching when you play - to the point where a couple of the achievements rely on this. The cod philosophy is a little overbearing and the game takes itself just a little too seriously, though there are clever touches in it's approach throughout. And if you are legitimately going for all achievements, then you will have to get ready to grind and deal with RNG drops, or farming the in game currency to purchase it all.

I will raise a hand here and say that I did have a guide by my side for most of this - however it was the very funny let's play write-up by TheDarkID, available on the Let's Play Archive. Have to say I'm glad this was there - there are some area's that you should not access until much later into the game and some things that are entirely missable - one of the final hacks of the game can actually take place on the menu screen of another character! And having the series lore (this is set in the Drakengard universe ...) helped provide some depth to characters that otherwise I would have missed, particularly having not played any of Drakengard or Nier games before

For anyone grinding materials, I will say that the scanner option on pods will always find set items in set locations - wish i had know that before spending several hours trying to find enough simple gadgets ...

So it's certainly not a 100% run - and I'm fine with that. Most of those near 60 hours were spent in a game that would, on a dime, play with your expectations, and with a combat system that doesn't punish the button-mashers but rewards those who take time with it with displays of balletic grace (there was a great 1 minute video on my Twitter feed recently that showed A2 effortlessly going through a combat routine with almost no repeated actions).

Watching the game systemically delete the entirety of my save data at the end was a sobering experience - a definite final end to the game (having barely touched the DLC) and a fitting one to this game, now since deleted from the hard disk.

I may return to this game one day, and may even sigh that I would have to start all over again, but I won't rue that experience ...
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Fallout: New Vegas
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 4
Cyber Shadow
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
I finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I can't say I "enjoyed" myself, but it might not be the game's fault, I haven't been enjoying any of things I normally like these days. I'm not as good at a Bloodstained as I am at an Ori and I think I would have enjoyed pixel graphics harkening back to the PS1 game... but then, I might just prefer the PS1 game.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of the Sea - Series X.
(Jan) Remember Me - PS3.
(Jan) Ghostbusters Remastered - Series X
(Feb) Disney Infinity 2.0 - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Sacred 3 - PS3.
(Feb) The Darkness II - PS3.
(Feb) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PS3.
(Mar) Gears 5: Hivebusters - Series X.
(Mar) Silent Hill: Downpour - PS3.
(Mar) The Medium - Series X.
(Mar) Donut County - Series X.
(Mar) Astro's Playroom - PS5.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

My #8 for the year is....Final Fantasy 7.

I've tried to go through it twice before and I twice got bored/demotivated because I didn't know where to go or what I was supposed to do. My one big criticism is that it doesn't signpost what you are supposed to do next well enough.
That being said, I can firmly see why it's a beloved game, the last 1/3 of the game was pretty epic and the bosses are tough as hell.

Pretty abrupt ending though.

Nice to wash the memory of the remake out of my brain.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:03 am Final Fantasy 7.

...My one big criticism is that it doesn't signpost what you are supposed to do next well enough.
Definitely this. I remember playing it when it first came out and getting stuck, quite literally, for months on this one bit after Cosmo Canyon. Just had no idea where to go or what to do. I even wrote in to a magazine for advice haha!

A lot easier nowadays with gamefaqs at your fingertips!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

8 Jan - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)
10 Jan - Donut County (Android)
20 Jan - Dark Souls Remastered (Switch)
23 Jan - Bastion (Switch)
30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
15 Feb - Loco Motive (Itch)
21 Feb - The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt (Switch)
26 Feb - The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone (Switch)
4 Mar - Quarantine Circular (Switch)
6 Mar - Bury Me, My Love (Android)
14 Mar - Dishonored Death of the Outsider (Steam)

Played through for the third time to finish up my level-by-level write-ups I'm doing for the series. Very occasionally I've doubted if each level of this series is sufficiently individual in its environment as well as thematically crunchy enough to justify an entire essay of its own, and every mission proves my misgivings unnecessary. There's just so much in all of these. All the big websites write about a couple of choice moments (The Bank Job, in the case of DOTO) but they're all extremely worthy of replay and consideration on their own merits.

It's a standalone expansion to what is in my opinion one of the greatest games ever made, and even exceeds the expectations I would have for such. The only issue with it is I always get a touch melancholy at the start of mission 4, for spoilery reasons as well as the fact that at that point the game - and the series as it currently stands - is nearly over.

It's so easy to recommend because it's short and fun, but to get the most of the (fairly explosive) events and overall narrative you really want to go through the main games including the Daud DLCs first.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

This still holds up pretty well, although I was somewhat surprised the pacing was not exactly how I remembered it. It somehow felt both longer and shorter than the impression I had in my mind. Still a really fun game with a great combat system though. The fights against larger monsters are still very entertaining. I also really enjoyed experimenting with different classes this time around too. While I went back to Mystic Knight class for the last leg, I really liked exploring the various roguish classes. The swift dagger moves and mobility they give you is really good. It's sort of strange how those classes are the only ones with a dodge move though.

One thing that I was surprised stood out to me was how good the lighting in this game is. I have always liked the aesthetic of this game, despite it being pretty rough on the small details. And while the lighting too is probably nothing too complicated on a technical level, the way its implemented is actually fantastically done. It looks extremely natural, and like it was expertly positioned around the whole game to create striking scenes. Even with the dynamic day/night cycle. It looks better than the lighting in many more modern games that boast more advanced rendering effects.

But then there's Bitterblack Isle. I talked before how this was the first time I've finally been able to beat it, and honestly I'm still not too hot on it. The difficulty balancing does feel off, especially once you get near the end. Even when I was high enough level to do most of it without much trouble, there's that one room full of Sorcerers that have huge AoE attacks that can stagger you, or throw you in the air. And there's just so many of them it's an absurd barrage of overpowered attacks filling the whole area. And on top of that, there are two huge cyclopes in there too, who can each sweep most of the room with their weapon, and stagger you just by taking a step. The final boss is much easier, although even he has an attack that can one-hit kill you after sucking you in to a void, that also drains your stamina if you're in the field of influence. It's not too hard to just run away from when you see it coming, although that does involve waiting around for ages for him to finish. Pawns are too stupid to avoid it though, so you just have to deal with them being killed at some point during the fight. The story of this expansion area also has some of the same issues as the main game too. It's got some interesting ideas to it, but they all only appear right at the end very briefly. Before that there's basically no story. There is one thing about this area I do like though, in that it introduced more of the large monster battles. So it at least expanded upon some of the best bits of the game there.

I could have finished this game much sooner than I did. Or much later even. I spent a lot of time right before the final quest either finishing off BBI, exploring the Everfall, or grinding for gear, etc. I did manage to get a decent armour set I have been aiming at for many years, so that's cool. It does feel strangely hard to get decent equipment in this game. I got some more good stuff after that too, although there was a lot more I could have gone for as well, but I decided I was bored of all that grinding and just moved on in the end. But this period did give me time to explore the game world in its more dangerous post-game state, which is another thing I've never really done before. It's cool that it populates the world with a lot more of the larger enemies, but it changes the lighting to be really drab and dark, so it loses something in that too.

So anyway, still a great game. I made a point to try out things I've never done before, and I got a lot out of that. Some good, some bad, but either way I'm glad to finally do it, and it did give me a greater appreciation for the game in the end.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
15 Mar - The Witcher III: Blood and Wine (Switch)

If The Witcher III main game is Geralt and Chums, then this is Geralt's Big Holiday. And what a brilliant idea. Rather than send the White Wolf to the end of the world or the land of the dead, the final chapter takes place in the sun-drenched duchy of Toussaint, where the wine, cheese and outrageous fashion is plentiful. I had always heard that the second dlc is like another game in the scale of the new explorable region and quests available, and again the hype around The Witcher III steered me correctly. In fact it's been interesting, seeing as CDPR has suffered such a hit to their reputation recently, to be simultaneously playing through one of the main reasons they're known for quality and generosity. This is not only vast, it's brilliant - first rate story, some of the best contracts and side quests, more rewarding POIs with vintner's contracts and vineyard infestations in addition to the usual treasure pickups and caves and suchlike, in fact more of everything that's great in the base game and to a very high standard of quality.

The map feels a lot more inviting than Velen, No Man's Land and even the beautiful and windswept Skellige, despite crawling with high level monsters that sometimes need some new tactics and approaches. The city of Beauclair and the towns you visit are far more genial too. People halloo you as you pass rather than spitting at your feet, and you even get your own vineyard - which I spent a lot of time at, going to spend the night in my own bed rather than on the road, finishing all the renovations and hanging my paintings and displaying my Witcher gear.

There's more top tier writing and voice acting on offer as well, with a gripping detective yarn that includes plenty of twists and turns. Although there aren't characters at quite the level of Gaunter and Olgierd, Regis and Anna Henrietta are both fantastic. The chatty and philosophical Regis is given a really warm, personable performance, and I want his voice actor to narrate my life to be honest, or just turn up to muse once in a while. Meanwhile the Duquessa genuinely sparkles with charm and wit. Depicting a ruler who is well-loved in what is basically a gritty medieval setting for the most part is a tall order, and I think they did a great job with her.

Story spoilers:
Since the main story has such personal stakes, and Hearts of Stone sees Geralt becoming somewhat ensnared in other people's problems thanks to Gaunter O'Dimm, I liked that the last ride with The Witcher is basically one big contract. A contract that goes incredibly wrong at several points and is constantly threatening to blow up in Geralt's face, at that, but you're in Toussaint to do a job.

I kept that in mind as I RP'd Geralt through several key decisions - I wasn't in the duchy to meddle overmuch in its politics, and when Anna Henrietta put her foot down and said no more helping monsters I thought, fair enough - Regis and Geralt had gone out of their way to avoid direct conflict with Dettlaf already, and with him having sent an army of lesser vampires to slaughter people left right and centre I felt he'd used up his goodwill. Even though Syanna is, in a way, the real Beast of Toussaint, Dettlaf was the one killing innocent folk at that moment.

Against a suitably dramatic backdrop of a nighttime Beauclair in flames as Dettlaf unleashed waves of bloodsucking creatures on the citizenry, I hunted down and eventually killed him in what I thought was a pretty flawed boss fight (suffering from the old chestnut of an attack that just does Too Much Damage that you mostly can't get round, a transformation cutscene you have to watch every time, as well as a weird final phase that looked like a Resi or Onimusha boss fight). Sadly I couldn't save the Duquessa - it is possible, but it's tricky and I'd have had to make different choices. But honestly I thought the tragic ending was quite fitting, bringing the otherwise charmed existence of the duchy into the same realm as most of The Witcher series' inhabitants. It was my ending.

Also getting home and finding Yennefer there at the very end was perfect. Clearly they also didn't want Geralt to be all alone at the end of this amazing saga, and I'm happy that I've left my save file with him next to his Yen at Corvo Bianco. Sentiment ain't I, but that's the effect these characters have on me, damn it!
Reflecting on the entire game, or rather the gestalt of Geralt, from the moment I booted it up and rode into White Orchard with Vesemir, to the ending of Blood and Wine... This game contains so many adventures, so many stories, and honestly a rogue's gallery of many of gaming's most memorable and likeable characters. The settings are immersive, sweeping, so much so that I cleared every ? other than in Skellige. Over 185 hours (40 of which was in Toussaint alone!) I cleared Toussaint, Velen/ Novigrad, White Orchard and Kaer Morhen. Skellige's terrain was a bit too fiddly and annoying to do the same, I might go back but at least on the Switch I didn't fancy that amount of sliding back down mountains I was trying to climb and swimming under ships. But I did do every side quest I found, every contract, a ton of Gwent (which I stayed away from towards the end as I picked up Thronebreaker to go onto soon), and a lot of scavenger hunts.

It's amazing, and although I paid basically full price for the Switch version it's really cheap on most systems now (and I got so much more than my money's worth even for what I paid). Even if the idea of a giant open world puts you off, I implore anyone with at least a faint interest to get it cheap in a sale, and just do Hearts of Stone. The game gives you the option of starting with the main quest done and a sufficiently levelled up Geralt to do just that, it's 8-10 hours, and it's a belter of a story.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

6. Hitman 1-3 (PS5)

Kicking myself for not playing 1 and 2 earlier but being able to play all 3 games in one package made this an epic experience - truly brilliant games that i really can't fault, played through every level from 1-3 but i will definitely be returning after a short break to try various different methods of assassination and give the VR a go on the PS4 versions.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote: March 12th, 2021, 10:28 am
ThirdDrawing wrote: March 12th, 2021, 4:03 am Final Fantasy 7.

...My one big criticism is that it doesn't signpost what you are supposed to do next well enough.
Definitely this. I remember playing it when it first came out and getting stuck, quite literally, for months on this one bit after Cosmo Canyon. Just had no idea where to go or what to do. I even wrote in to a magazine for advice haha!

A lot easier nowadays with gamefaqs at your fingertips!
My brother rang a helpline to get us out of Corel Prison. Getting to the boss of that place requires going quite a specific way.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)

Been messing around with Dolphin lately, and this just happened to be a very short game. I did own it way back in the day on GC but haven't played it since then. The series has come a long way since this. Handling feels strange and not very precise. It's also got a heavy dose of kart racing nonsense randomness that can ruin your race when you least need it. There also isn't much to this game, even for a series that tends to be light on content. Only five cups, no remade retro courses. It really solidifies how good MK8 is in comparison.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
15 Mar - The Witcher III: Blood and Wine (Switch)
18 Mar - Dishonored 2

This time I actually speedran it. Not officially or anything, just used my knowledge of the maps and game I've picked up over... maybe four full previous playthroughs to go through the levels as quickly as possible. Really rewarding feeling knowing exactly where to go, a quick route, some resources I can quickly grab or the best order to handle objectives.

01h 46m for the full campaign. No planning for the run, but I might try again some day to see if I can beat my record and perhaps try with the others in the series.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

8. Bowsers Fury
I really loved this game, to be honest I don't think it being open world really adds much to the formula as it just felt like 3D World except that you ride Nessie between levels rather than have a loading screen. It was superb fun though and the best Mario I've played since 3D World on WiiU. My only complaint would be having to wait for Bowser to show up when you came across some blocks only he could destroy.