Games Completed 2021

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jobobonobo

Re: Games Completed 2021

Post by Jobobonobo »

Spoiler: show
January 30: Celeste
February 12: Katamari Damacy Rerolled
February 28: Panzer Dragoon Remake
March 26: Donut County
April 4: Yakuza Kiwami 2
May 11: Gris
I liked this one a fair bit. Way shorter than I was expecting but felt nice and compact as a result. Also pretty easy for the most part which is the polar opposite of Celeste which I played earlier. Graphics are legitimately some of the most beautiful I have seen in a game in quite some time, the contrast between the geometric shapes of the landscape and creatures with the more detailed protagonist is very visually striking and memorable. Just a pretty and mostly chill time which everyone who is interested in something a little different should check out.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

8 Jan - Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)
10 Jan - Donut County (Android)
20 Jan - Dark Souls Remastered (Switch)
23 Jan - Bastion (Switch)
30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
15 Feb - Loco Motive (Itch)
21 Feb - The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt (Switch)
26 Feb - The Witcher III: Hearts of Stone (Switch)
4 Mar - Quarantine Circular (Switch)
6 Mar - Bury Me, My Love (Android)
14 Mar - Dishonored Death of the Outsider (Steam)
15 Mar - The Witcher III: Blood and Wine (Switch)
18 Mar - Dishonored 2 (Steam)
26 Mar - Paradise Killer (Switch)
30 April - Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)
6 May - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
12 May - Resident Evil 3 (2020) (PS4)
17 May - Resident Evil Village (PS4)

Fantastic Resi game this. Uneven in parts, but the opening and back thirds are solidly amazing. A lot of influence from RE4, a lot to love if you hold that game in high esteem, but it has plenty to offer most Resi fans I think. It's a bit of a greatest hits in some ways, and it's clearly made with a lot of love for the franchise and its storytelling and history.

Mercenaries is really fun too. And I've just booted up the NG+. I'll probably play VII Biohazard now to spend more time with Ethan, as I skipped it until now.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Call of the Sea - Series X.
(Jan) Remember Me - PS3.
(Jan) Ghostbusters Remastered - Series X
(Feb) Disney Infinity 2.0 - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Batman: Arkham Knight - PS4 Pro.
(Feb) Sacred 3 - PS3.
(Feb) The Darkness II - PS3.
(Feb) The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - PS3.
(Mar) Gears 5: Hivebusters - Series X.
(Mar) Silent Hill: Downpour - PS3.
(Mar) The Medium - Series X.
(Mar) Donut County - Series X.
(Mar) Astro's Playroom - PS5.
(Apr) Outriders - Series X.
(May) Lego City Undercover - Wii U.
(May) Ghost of Tsushima - PS5.
(May) Resident Evil Village - PS5.
(May) Dantes Inferno - Series X.
(May) Streets of Rage 4 - Series X.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

15 - Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition (PS5)

One of the better remasters I've played that does a great job of balancing staying true to the original design whilst also making needed quality of life improvements. The graphics and framerate improvements really do make a difference to the experience, I wouldn't say it looks like a modern day AAA game but there were many times when i stopped to admire the world around me and soak the universe all in and the combat felt better, it's not fully up to ME2/ME3 standard but still flowed better then i remembered. On the other hand the same issues that plagued the game back in 2007 are still here, repetitive side content, boring inventory management, awful enemy AI but i personally have nostalgic affection for all the original ME1 jankiness and it's great that they haven't changed the core experience, warts and all.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
17 May - Resident Evil VIII Village (PS4)
23 May - Resident Evil VII Biohazard

Resi season continues!

I decided to play this to get the first part of Ethan's story after VIII. It really is like a first person reimagining of the original games, with the same exploration and puzzles and detailed, creepy environments. The bosses are great (who doesn't enjoy shooting a squelchy weak spot) and the way the interiors look is fabulous. Some people complain about the second half of the game but I thought it was great throughout.

I think I prefer this to RE2R, and it's much more consistent than Village and has less dips even if it's not quite as uproariously fun to me in general as that one and RE3R. Will definitely play through Not A Hero and End of Zoe.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jon Cheetham wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 9:47 am
30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)

Resi season continues!

I decided to play this to get the first part of Ethan's story after VIII. It really is like a first person reimagining of the original games, with the same exploration and puzzles and detailed, creepy environments. The bosses are great (who doesn't enjoy shooting a squelchy weak spot) and the way the interiors look is fabulous. Some people complain about the second half of the game but I thought it was great throughout.

I think I prefer this to RE2R, and it's much more consistent than Village and has less dips even if it's not quite as uproariously fun to me in general as that one and RE3R. Will definitely play through Not A Hero and End of Zoe.
Yeah, I really enjoyed RE7, but felt its only real downfall was the complete lack of enemy variation once you left the house. Those opening few hours with Jack Baker stalking you round, and the atmosphere of the deep south swamp land setting were incredible though.

I generally play games with the lights out and headphones on, but there were sections of the game I had to remove the headphones and turn the lights on :lol:

It's definitely in my top 3 or 4 Resident Evil games.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79uk wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 12:40 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 9:47 am
30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)

Resi season continues!

Yeah, I really enjoyed RE7, but felt its only real downfall was the complete lack of enemy variation once you left the house. Those opening few hours with Jack Baker stalking you round, and the atmosphere of the deep south swamp land setting were incredible though.

I generally play games with the lights out and headphones on, but there were sections of the game I had to remove the headphones and turn the lights on :lol:

It's definitely in my top 3 or 4 Resident Evil games.
Definitely up there somewhere, I'll have to rethink my ranking after my catch-up these last couple of weeks. You're absolutely right about the atmosphere, they nailed it there.

Yeah the Moulded are pretty basic, just goo monsters, but it is highly enjoyable luring them onto tripwires and blowing them up :D
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

06/01 - Monster Hunter: Iceborne (PS4/PS5)
22/01 - Black Mesa (PC)
24/01 - HITMAN 3 (PC)
15/02 - The Pathless (PC)
06/03 - Homeworld: Remastered (PC)
07/03 - Demon's Souls [Remake] (PS5)
07/03 - Little Nightmares (PC)
05/04 - It Takes Two (PC)
11/05 - Resident Evil Village (PS5)
23/05 - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS3)

Thoughts on the podcast.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Jan 22nd - Jedi Fallen Order
Feb 21st - Little Nightmares
Mar 30th - Final Fantasy X
April 21st - Dark Souls 3
May 14th - Dark Souls 3 + DLC
May 23rd - Mass Effect 1 Legendary Edition

Finished Mass Effect 1 along with the platinum, which is far easier to get now. I really enjoyed my time with it. It's definitely more remaster than remake, so in certain respects the game shows its age, but if you go in allowing for that then there's a lot to love. I haven't played the series in years so I've really enjoyed chatting about it with people, re-experiencing it, and seeing new players get into it. Think I'll take a break before jumping into 2.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

January 30: Celeste
February 12: Katamari Damacy Rerolled
February 28: Panzer Dragoon Remake
March 26: Donut County
April 4: Yakuza Kiwami 2
May 11: Gris
May 23: Untitled Goose Game
This was one that always interested me and it was nice to finally get around to playing it. I was having some difficulty with it at first until I realised that this is a game primarily about observing the habits of others and knowing what to do at the right time. Once I figured that out, this game finally clicked for me and I barrelled through it. A lot of the solutions to some of the things you have to do are pretty ingenious such as getting access to a TV shop by trapping a young boy in a phone booth and the shopkeeper rushing out to help him or getting a flower by entertaining two ladies with my goosey charm at a beer garden. The couple at the pub were a real challenge to deal with and definitely had to do a lot of sneaking around to get all my tasks done but very satisfying when I got one over on them. Easily the closest thing to a Mr Bean sketch in a videogame and I think it is that sense of fun and mischief that got it so much attention on its release. If you want something nice and short to relax with after a 100+ hour epic then Untitled Goose Game is an easy recommend.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

May 23rd, I beat River City Girls. The Streets of Rage 4 podcast finally got me into 2d beat em ups for the first time, Streets of Rage 4 was great then moved I on to River City Girls because of all the mentions it got on that podcast. It's a beautifully animated game with great music and a satisfying upgradable combo system. It was a lot of fun to play, but I did find most of the game's humor and writing pretty grating, fortunately you were able to skip all of it. It's a fun time I'd definitely recommend.

I just got M2's Steets of Rage Collection and look forward to finally playing the game I've heard so many good things about from Leon.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)
14/04 - Drakengard 2 (Ending A)
28/04 - Drakengard 3 (Endings A-D)
02/05 - Rain
10/05 - God of War: Chains of Olympus HD
15/05 - God of War: Ghost of Sparta HD
24/05 - NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... (Endings A-E)

A great version of a classic game that was a joy to revisit. Still holds the old magic it always did, but still manages to feel fresh as well. Although some parts of it are still a bit obtuse, and the graphical detail might not be up to the highest standard, I think it serves the game very well for these aspects to be exactly how they are. It wouldn't have the same charm if it wasn't a little rough around the edges, and it shows faithfulness to the character the game always had.

I have a ton of thoughts about the game overall, but I think I pretty much posted them all already as I've been playing. So if anyone wants to read through that, they're here: (post 1) (post 2) (post 3) (post 4)

As for this final section leading up to Ending E...
The actual events of this actually didn't end up being a huge surprise, as I've mentioned before I'm familiar with these plot points already since they have been floating around the internet thanks to being part of supplementary material of the original release. I was hoping for a bit more, but I'm still really pleased with it being there as is. It starts off just as if you were starting a fresh new game, until you get to a certain point where suddenly it skips back to some time after Ending D, and you're playing as Kaine! You don't get to spend much time with her though, but she is fun to play as. Instead of magic she has her own special skills that are amusingly named with censored out curse words.

You then play through a sequence where you travel in to the depths of the Memory Tree. It was really cool to be able to finally see what it's like in there, given you only interact with it via the text adventure sections in the main game. The interior is full of cables and twisted mechanical walls and such, which then gradually gives way to a bunch of stuff that is very familiar if you've played Automata. It doesn't exactly do anything new to tie events to that game, but rather strengthens the links that were already there. There's also some great moments of Kaine getting her memory back and reconnecting with her sense of purpose in life through bringing Nier back to life. It's very moving to finally see it happen, and is I suppose an unusual happy ending for this series. Although Ending E of Automata had a sense of hope to it as well, so I guess Yoko Taro has had something of a change of heart over the years. The very final cutscene is reminiscent of seeing the Tower rise in Automata, but then it opens up in to a huge Lunar Tear, presumably as a reference to Drakengard 3 as well. So there's a lot of fan service in this ending too, but the good kind that is. And then for all that you get your old save back that you had to delete for Ending D. You don't even need to save it over your fresh file too, so you can keep both.
All in all, a great time and a worthy entry in the series, as well as a remake of the original. Can't wait to see what Yoko Taro gets up to next. That mobile Nier game should be out soon. Despite the business model I do want to at least give it a chance. But I'm probably more interested in that mysterious smaller scale game that was recently announced. It's been a long time since we've seen a new IP from him, so I'm really intrigued to see what he can do now with no strings attached again.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

January 15th - Spiderman (PS4)
January 17th - Labo VR goggles and camera (Switch)
March 19th - Labo VR blaster (Switch)
March 19th - Bowser's Fury (Switch)
April 12th - Bloodborne + Old Hunters DLC (PS4)
April 18th - Star Wars: Battlefront 2 campaign (PS4)
April 19th - Journey (PS4)

May 24th - Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20th anniversary edition (PS4)

Potted history of me and Tomb Raider:

Largely loved the reboot, bar the bizarre character arc where Lara mourns for a week for killing a deer and then slays 100 people in cold blood a day later when not implying herself on spikes. Have also played just about every other game in the series, and broadly love them when it's solitary exploration, platforming and full of puzzles (the original, Last Revelation, Anniversary, Underworld).

So I was excited to play this as I heard it had a lot more puzzles in it than the reboot. And it sorta does...? But there's still not tons. The ones that are there are decent but are (admittedly very good) variations of using ropes and pulleys rather than expansive platforming and cog finding tomb sections of old.

Story wise, I still just don't care about Lara really? Never have clicked with her family history, personal struggles or enemies. Probably never will. But it's serviceable.

Combat didn't seem as fluid and fun as I found the reboot, and the areas it takes place in seem smaller, which isn't where it is at its best. But it could just be I've played a lot more modern shooters so have more comparison points now.

Which makes it sound like I hated it. And I really didn't.

I think the opening few hours are some of my favourite in gaming. The climb up to the summit, exploring those caves, finding the ruins, solving some genuinely head scratching platforming puzzles and an epic battle nail everything that I want Tomb Raider to be. Tons to love in how it all clicks and the game looks insanely lovely. Probably the best looking game I've played to date in that field of 'trying to look realistic'. Genuinely stopped to go wow at times.

And the Soviet section is pretty good too, just a bit relentless and bleak, as you'd expect from the locale. I just gradually found the game wore thin as it went on and drifted further away from what made that intro so special. I started to play the game with the 'survival instincts' filter on a la the Arkham games rather than use my wits. Combat grew tiresome. Upgrades ceased to be worthwhile. Secrets bore little reward. It felt like a stereotypical videogame than an inventive adventure.

For comparison, I hoovered up every last collectible on the reboot but, whilst this may be a better game overall, the formula already feels a bit tired. I wonder if I'll ever play 'Shadow' now?

The DLC was more interesting though. The witch chapter has some strong Hellblade / Scarecrow boss vibes and an ingenious finale. And the Croft Manor chapter genuinely had me perplexed once or twice and unsettled me more than the main game did oddly.

So yeah... another Tomb Raider game that doesn't do enough of what makes the series so good but does enough of it to be enjoyable but ultimately leave you feeling a bit, 'what if...?'
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
I've now played a lot of the DLC for this, there's a generous amount and it takes all sorts of shapes, a bit like a monster made of goo and teeth might.

Not a Hero is OK, I liked some parts that felt like they belonged in the Alien IP, the final boss was good too. It has this metroidvania/ obstacle course structure which was alright but nothing special, it dragged a bit for a 90 minute chapter. And this is just not Chris Redfield, I'm glad they went back to a slightly more consistent look for Village. I don't know who this strange teddy bear looking bloke is.

End of Zoe was hilarious, I loved becoming Swamp Uncle and punching open the heads of an army of Moulded. It's such a tonal shift from the main game but when it's so much fun I don't think it's a knock against it. Joe Baker, what a ledge. My complaint with it is that Zoe is kind of badass and survived three years in a creepy house with her murderous family and an insane bioweapon, it rings false her being a damsel in distress here and I would have liked her to get to unload some pain on the monsters after all she's been through.

Daughters might be my favourite, it's very short - maybe 25 minutes on a first playthrough to explore the house and see how it used to look, but you can do it in ten easy. I went through twice to see both endings. It's a very good little narrative/ walking sim style piece with some extremely scary moments (l think) and very gruesome ones too as the family turn. Definitely recommend it if you've beaten the base game to see how Zoe's story starts.

Anyway there's loads more to do. A card game, a horde mode... They really filled out this story and sequence of events in quite a satisfying way.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

16 - Max Payne 3 (PC)

Brilliant and brutal, feel like i need a shower now though to wash off all the grime
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

ironedflemming wrote: May 27th, 2021, 2:00 pm 16 - Max Payne 3 (PC)

Brilliant and brutal, feel like i need a shower now though to wash off all the grime
I love this game, it's weird to think I started it, didn't like it but then gave it a second shot two years later and it became a classic in my eyes. The last level in the airport will stay with me forever.
ironedflemming

Post by ironedflemming »

Truk_Kurt wrote: May 27th, 2021, 2:40 pm
ironedflemming wrote: May 27th, 2021, 2:00 pm 16 - Max Payne 3 (PC)

I love this game, it's weird to think I started it, didn't like it but then gave it a second shot two years later and it became a classic in my eyes. The last level in the airport will stay with me forever.
Similar thing for me, I played and finished it back upon release but just didn't really gel with it but absolutely loved it this time. I was able to run at a lot better now too which made the gunplay feel smoother, I hope we get more in the series but I also loved how this ended with Max finding some peace at the end.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Scrustle wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:59 pm
05/01 - Brutal Legend
07/01 - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
13/01 - Sludge Life
17/01 - AER: Memories of Old
19/01 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Human - Nero/Dante)
05/03 - CrossCode: A New Home
14/03 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
17/03 - Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (100cc)
02/04 - Drakengard (Endings A-D)
14/04 - Drakengard 2 (Ending A)

As I have alluded to before, this one is much better to actually play than the first, but it ended up being a less interesting experience overall. Gameplay is more engaging with more responsive, impactful, and deeper combat, but it's still not what I would call "good" exactly. Just okay.

But the tone of the game and its story are much less unique and compelling compared to the first. A much lighter tone in general, with a story that doesn't delve in to any of the strange or compelling stuff in the same way. The dialogue and voice acting aren't great either. It's pretty wooden for the most part. The only exception being the voice of the dragon Legna, which was pretty commendable. Also, I was surprised to hear that a lot of the minor characters here are voiced by the same actors as from Fable 1. I associate those voices to strongly with that game, it's strange to hear them somewhere else.

It's not totally without interesting things going on in the plot however. But in a way that makes it sort of disappointing. There are elements here that add interesting things to the lore, and it brings up topics that could fit right in with the extremely dark tone of the first. But none of them are fully explored or executed very well. It's a shame, as I could see a version of this game that takes those elements and make a worthy successor to the first.
Following your footsteps I’m playing through this one and really enjoying it so far. The gameplay is much better and the design decision to let you retain accrued character and weapon XP is a welcome one. This means to me that no matter how hard the game becomes with a few replays I’ll be able to get through.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Jon Cheetham wrote: May 26th, 2021, 2:20 pm
30 Jan - Hitman 3 (PS4)
I've now played a lot of the DLC for this, there's a generous amount and it takes all sorts of shapes, a bit like a monster made of goo and teeth might.

Not a Hero is OK, I liked some parts that felt like they belonged in the Alien IP, the final boss was good too. It has this metroidvania/ obstacle course structure which was alright but nothing special, it dragged a bit for a 90 minute chapter. And this is just not Chris Redfield, I'm glad they went back to a slightly more consistent look for Village. I don't know who this strange teddy bear looking bloke is.

End of Zoe was hilarious, I loved becoming Swamp Uncle and punching open the heads of an army of Moulded. It's such a tonal shift from the main game but when it's so much fun I don't think it's a knock against it. Joe Baker, what a ledge. My complaint with it is that Zoe is kind of badass and survived three years in a creepy house with her murderous family and an insane bioweapon, it rings false her being a damsel in distress here and I would have liked her to get to unload some pain on the monsters after all she's been through.

Daughters might be my favourite, it's very short - maybe 25 minutes on a first playthrough to explore the house and see how it used to look, but you can do it in ten easy. I went through twice to see both endings. It's a very good little narrative/ walking sim style piece with some extremely scary moments (l think) and very gruesome ones too as the family turn. Definitely recommend it if you've beaten the base game to see how Zoe's story starts.

Anyway there's loads more to do. A card game, a horde mode... They really filled out this story and sequence of events in quite a satisfying way.
The Bedroom DLC is probably my favourite as well as the Blackjack meets Saw mini game. The horde mode is pretty good but I’ve got too many other things to play to entertain it for long.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Nice, I might check those out then.