Games of 2021: What piques your interest?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Games of 2021: What piques your interest?

Post by dezm0nd »

Now, getting excited for upcoming games is good and all but sometimes we need to learn some lessons from hype (see cyberpunk)

However, having acknowledged this... what game(s) are you excited to play this year! Theres nothing in January for me (not a Hitman 3 fan, sadly) but February will see Outriders release as well as Super Mario 3D World on Switch.

Having played 3D World before and want to replay it with the new content I'm a lock in for that but will need to see how it pans out with People Can Fly and their game which looks mediocre aesthetically but looks great to play.

Resident Evil VIIIage, Deathloop, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Psychonauts 2 are some of the other games i'm looking forward to this year. Nintendo is mystery as always so im hopeful for a bumper year from them but you never know!
Truk_Kurt

Re: Games of 2021: What piques your interest?

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I'm hoping Breath of the Wild 2 will come out this year so that is definitely up there.

The other games I'm most excited for down as 2021 are Gotham Knights and Hogwarts Legacy, I'm also looking forward to Far Cry 6, I doubt it will do much different to previous games in the series but I haven't played one since 4.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is also one I'm anticipating after finishing my first R&C game last year in the 2016 PS4 game, but I won't get excited about that until I get a PS5.

On the indie side of things it's difficult to know until they come out and buzz generates around them, but I am excited for one I played for work that we're publishing called Super Magbot, it's a tough but really cool platformer based around magnets.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Hitman III is the one I'm looking forward to, although I might not have time to play at launch and don't even know what format to go for. If there's a decent cross save set-up and the Switch cloud port works ok it would be very tempting to continue this series with that sort of portability.

Beyond that it's Resi Village, Horizon II eventually, and Elden Ring. If the latest rumours are right it has a lot in common with Dark Souls which is promising.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Right now... not much actually.

I’ve not been paying much attention to what might be coming out in the next few months.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Horizon Forbidden West by a country mile for me. Maybe "Horizon Zero Dawn" didn't necessarily need a sequel (despite the set-up for it that they threw in at the end), but I loved the world and the story and I loved fighting all the dinobots (the combat felt so satisfying) and I'm really eager to get back into it.

A tiny (maybe naive?) part of me is hoping we get an announcement of a date for the next Spider-Man game but I don't know if that's unrealistic of me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm only really looking forward to one game; the sequel to Hollow Knight, Silksong.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to getting an Xbox a little later in the year and playing loads of old games I missed, or stuff I want to replay like Fable 1 and 2 and Red Dead Redemption.

I honestly can't think of anything else I'm excited for at the moment. I'll get Super Mario 3D World at some point, but I've only just picked up 3D All Stars, so have enough Mario to be going on with. Also excited for whatever Rockstar are working on, but doubt we'll see anything from them this year. Oh, and Elden Ring, but that's another one that seems to be very much 'done when it's done'.

Also will get excited for a new Elder Scrolls as we get a little closer to release, which again, doubtful we'll see this year.

Oh yeah, haha, actually, Mass Effect Remastered is another one I'm looking forward to.

So loads then, as it turns out :lol: Just nothing much this year at the moment.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Actually, there’s a decent chance we’ll see Overwatch 2 this year, so that.
andthenweplay

Post by andthenweplay »

Rune Factory 5 excites me most out of every game for a 2020 launch window. Rune Factory 4/Rune Factory 4: Special is a very important game to me so to have a true sequel nearly 7 years later extremely awesome
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:53 pm Also will get excited for a new Elder Scrolls as we get a little closer to release, which again, doubtful we'll see this year.
I think I'm right in saying that they Bethesda said that Starfield would come first before Elder Scrolls and even Starfield I doubt will be this year.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah that's a bummer, I'm not really too interested in Starfield. I'm not a massive 'space sci-fi' fan, other than Mass Effect, but still, I would be very happy to be swayed by a brilliant game.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Definitely excited for Hitman 3 and Silksong. Resident Evil 8 and Final Fantasy XVI also look great, if they're 2021 releases.
DeadpoolNegative

Post by DeadpoolNegative »

It's weird, I can't think of anything right now, because I'm not entirely certain with the way the world is going and the fallout of Cyberpunk 2077's release that a lot of what I'm expecting to ship in 2021- like Resident Evil 8- won't get pushed back to 2022, or 2023. I enjoyed Hitman 2, but I'm in no hurry to get the third one.

--Dan
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

As it's the 35th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda I'm wondering if we get a re-release or remake of some of the games which haven't been done yet and a release date for BotW2. (I hope it's not called that when revealed)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Great topic! There are quite a few games I'm really looking forward to this year across all the consoles, but to keep it brief:

Halo Infinite - Xbox Series X - I'm one of the apparently weird folks that actually thought this looked alright when gameplay was shown off last year! Sure it wasn't mind-blowingly gorgeous but it wasn't hideous either, and that signature Halo goodness looked present and correct to me! I'm confident that with a year of extra dev time this is going to be a damn good video game.

Super Mario 3D World - Switch - I loved 3D Land on 3DS, but like so many I never picked up a Wii U and was rather sad that I'd missed out on this. It's the one Switch port I've always wanted, and finally it will be here in just a few short weeks! Will day one this and play the bejesus out of it. Can't wait!

Balan Wonderworld - multi-platform (probably buy on PS5 or Xbox) - this is a 3D platformer from Square Enix due out in March. The reason I'm hyped for it is that it is being directed by Yuji Naka with character designs from Naoto Ohshima, both leading lights of Sonic Team in its 90s prime. Most importantly the game's style and themes scream NiGHTS Into Dreams - one of my favourite games of all time that Ohshima directed and designed, and Naka produced. While I'm pragmatically bracing myself for potential disappointment, there's every chance this could end up being something rather lovely. Fingers crossed!
Shy Monkeys

Post by Shy Monkeys »

Uh, let me think. so, Impostor Factory is the third mainline game in the To The Moon series that'll be releasing this year. After playing Psychonauts last year, I'm very interested in Psychonauts 2. I've taken an interest in the Rune Factory series but haven't played them, and I'd like to start with Rune Factory 5, seems like a chill series. As for other games I'm interested, they're not guaranteed to release in 2021 but, The Wolf Among Us 2 is one I am heavily interested in as a huge Telltale fan, and someone keeping a very close eye on the new owners, I'm interested in seeing how it turns out, The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki is part of a series I love so much, but no guarantee it'll be out this year, and otherwise, I'm looking forward to the remasters for Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space and Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Humankind Not that I'm totally bored with Civilization, but the DLC price gouging is rough, even for fans. Though, I went from Civ IV to Civ VI without playing the fifth game, so I could always just go in on that!

I thought Gotham Knights looked pretty smooth. I hope it's as fun as it looked.

I feel like I've been waiting for Cyber Shadow forever! It looks very cool and right up my alley.

I don't have a PS5, but if that ever changes, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will be the first Rachet & Clank game I ever play.

My brother-in-law got my wife a Switch for her birthday/Christmas. So, I guess I'll be paying attention to games that come out for that now! Nothing big caught my eye right now, except for Super Mario 3D World. That's the one everyone loves, right?
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I couldn't finish the first Bravely Default because the traditional FF difficulty spikes killed any desire I had to keep going, but I Loved Bravely Second, so I'm hoping for good things from Bravely Default II.

The most recent few Story of Seasons games have started to really capture the quality of the early Harvest Moon games again, and Pioneers of Olive Town looks to have pulled a few ideas from Stardew Valley as well, so I'm really looking forward to it. Also Rune Factory 5, for similar reasons.

YS IX looks great, and I can never, under any circumstances, say no to more Persona, so Persona 5 Strikers is a must-buy, and Atlus have hinted at some big plans for the 25th anniversary as well.

I hope we finally hear something about Silksong.

It's probably to much to hope that we'll see Metroid Prime 4 this year, but I can dream.
Shy Monkeys wrote: January 4th, 2021, 5:34 pm The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki is part of a series I love so much, but no guarantee it'll be out this year
I really hope we don't have to keep waiting 2 years per game for localizations, I'm trying to play it in Japanese right now, and it's slow going. Falcom seem to be paying more attention to western fans recently, and I think CS3 and 4 sold pretty well over here, so maybe there's hope.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Looking forward to Silksong more than anything, followed by Windjammers 2 and RetroMania Wrestling. I also really hope that Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection is decent, and the same for very stylish-looking horror Mundaun.

More predictably, Breath of the Wild 2 if it appears this year, and any 35th anniversary Zelda stuff that Nintendo wants to take my money for. And Resident Evil Village, assuming I can get something to play it on.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

stvnorman wrote: January 4th, 2021, 9:34 pm
More predictably, Breath of the Wild 2 if it appears this year, and any 35th anniversary Zelda stuff that Nintendo wants to take my money for.
Yeah, maybe that Skyward Sword Switch port? I wouldn't mind some sort of collection of the portable games.
Also, great to be reminded I'm turning 35 this year...
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Will this be the year that The Artful Escape finally releases? Or maybe Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course?

I mean, given my username, the obvious one I'm looking forward to is No More Heroes III, but those other two have been quiet for so long that they have my interest a bit more.