Best in-game horses (Updated for 2021)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Best in-game horses (Updated for 2021)

Post by Alex79 »

Almost eight years ago I created probably the single greatest thread that there has ever been on a forum.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=549&p=9988

At the time I can only assume that the 100s of people who still email me about it today were asleep, so here, updated for 2021, are the top 5 in-game horses.

1. Red Dead Redemption 2

I mean of course this is the winner. After all, it's The Greatest Game Ever Made. The horses are gorgeous, you can brush their hair and feed them apples, build up their stamina and even train them to do tricks. The main thing about this game though is the attachment you build up with your steed. We've all felt the heartbreak as we see Bessie go flying over a ravine to her bloody, crunching death. Or leaped off at the last minute only to see her be hit by a train. If you're quick thinking, you can reload that save and bring her back to life, but that's cheating really, isn't it.

Look: 5/5
Ease of use: 3/5
Attachment: 5/5

2. Metal Gear Solid V

This horse is a joy to use. Responsive, good looking, practical. You can hide down one side of it, you can jump over stuff, and the controls are super smooth and intuitive. Overall, this is a great horse, and might even be the best. It only loses points in the attachment category, as it's so easy to simply summon another horse, meaning you never really bond with the beast.

Look: 4/5
Ease of use: 5/5
Attachment: 1/5

3. The Witcher 3

Anyone who's played The Witcher 3 has fallen in love with Roach, your reliable, dependable horse. Fight from his back, race him to victory, magically call upon him from anywhere on the map, Roach truly is a magnificent specimen. He handles great, is fast as the wind, and he's invincible!

Ease of use: 4/5
Attachment: 4/5

4. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild

The horses in Breath Of The Wild are strange, really. Completely disposable, and rarely used, because it's both more practical and more fun to explore on foot, but they remain some of the most striking in-game horses, with that semi-cell shaded look, with lots of different customisation options. (My all white horse with bright red hair is still the best). Then you have the secret horses, which are super exciting to find. They're fun to handle, although a bit limited in use, but they still remain a fun diversion in an epic game.

Ease of use: 5/5
Attachment: 2/5

5. The Last Of Us Part II

The horse in The Last Of Us Part II might not have a massive role in the game, but I found myself getting quickly attached, and it provided a safe haven from the surrounding horrors. It's really well animated, makes good noises, and plays a big role in one of the most interesting parts of the game. The horse is pretty fun to handle, like a BMX that's slightly too big for you so your feet can't quite touch the ground, you might wobble a bit, but keep peddling and you'll be alright. As horses go, this is a solid rank 5.

Look: 5/5
Ease of use: 4/5
Attachment: 3/5

There you go. Officially the top 5 in-game horses 2021. Feel free to add number 6 and beyond.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Best in-game horses (Updated for 2021)

Post by ratsoalbion »

Where's Agro?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:37 pm Where's Agro?
Spoiler: show
Bottom of that ravine?
Oh no, hang on, I remember the end now...

:lol:

But in all seriousness (ha!), he just didn't make the top 5. It's sad, but he was getting a bit long in the tooth.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I would like to raise an objection to the lack of representation for Pocket Card Jockey, whose horses can be robots, dragonic hybrids, ninjas, or stereotypical Japanese biker gang members.

Also none of the other horses on this list are powered by solitaire, unless Red Dead Redemption II is a lot better than I thought it was.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Roach making the top 5, but no Argo is a War Crime. No exaggeration ( :D )
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

"Red Dead Redemption 2" has ruined horses in all other video games for me.
RIP Whisky you were a good boy
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Agreed about the lack of Argo!
I had a gut reaction and literally gasped out loud when I thought he fell to his death. I was not in a good mood during the end of the game. You know, until he's back. But, then he has that limp? Poor Argo, he's just being the best...
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

In Assassin's Creed Odyssey I was riding a purple-winged black pegasus-unicorn by the time I'd wrapped up the platinum, which I think is fairly hard to beat both for fabulosity and the fact it glides slightly when you jump.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Combine Hunter wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:04 pm Roach making the top 5, but no Argo is a War Crime. No exaggeration ( :D )
NO YOU'RE A WAR CRIME!!!

Ahem.

To be honest, Argo should be on that list instead of The Last Of Us 2 I think. I've let us all down.
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

Alex79uk wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:25 am
Combine Hunter wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:04 pm Roach making the top 5, but no Argo is a War Crime. No exaggeration ( :D )
NO YOU'RE A WAR CRIME!!!

Ahem.

To be honest, Argo should be on that list instead of The Last Of Us 2 I think. I've let us all down.
Hey you leave Shimmer on there, she was a good girl!

My unpopular opinion is that I don't care for Roach. And with that said I will jump through this open window for convenient bad opinion fast exits and leave.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You guys, it's Agro. Not Argo.
Wander says it out loud dozens of times!

HORSE FAIL

This is like when British mags repeatedly used to refer to Goemon as 'Geoman'.
:D
Miririn

Post by Miririn »

It's almost like that spelling error could make you feel a bit a(g)gro.

...I'll get me coat.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Jesus, I'm meant to be the SOTC super fan and I got it wrong...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Let's just all edit our posts so that Leon looks crazy...

:lol:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

How does Laura Croft say it?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I would argue that Epona in any other Zelda game is more deserving than any of the BotW imposters.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Kane on C64 or Spectrum, take your pick. I was never so impressed by a gaming horse as the first time I saw Shadowfax on the VIC-20 though. I’ve never really been fussed about more recent horses such as Red Dead or Zelda ones.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Could I get an honorable mention for Ruin and the rest of the Phantom Horses from the Darksiders series?

Any horse that can manifest riding up through the ground and be prepared to assist it's rider take on the beasts of Hell or the minions of Heaven, leaving a firey trail, surely has to be in contention for something ...
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

NoMoreSpearows wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:10 pm I would like to raise an objection to the lack of representation for Pocket Card Jockey,
First horses I thought of actually so I'll second this objection.

Did you ever beat King's Gate (the bonus extra hard race)? I spent ages after winning every other race until I got it.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Yep, I did everything I could, albeit thanks to a bit of luck and some items from the shop. It took me longest to do the short-length ones, funnily enough, because I never was able to have a horse that both succeeded in that regard and had a good personality.