Hatoful Boyfriend: A School of Hope and White Wings

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Hatoful Boyfriend: A School of Hope and White Wings

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Hatoful Boyfriend: A School of Hope and White Wings for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Simonsloth

Re: Our next podcast recording (20.3.21): 461 - Hatoful Boyfriend: A School of Hope and White Wings

Post by Simonsloth »

I am probably one of the few people who found the elevator pitch of Pigeon Dating Simulator off putting but once I saw the reviews, heard of Devolver’s involvement and it was given away with PlayStation Plus I had no excuse.

During the period of time this was released my PlayStation Vita had become something of a visual novel machine with the likes of Virtue’s Last Reward, Danganronpa and Steinsgate occupying my attention.

My personal preference when it comes to these games is to have some gameplay or interactivity alongside the often engaging narrative. This is where Hatoful Boyfriend fails to meet my personal preferences. I loved the characters, the branching narrative and it’s all quite bonkers but with each subsequent playthrough I became fatigued by seeing the same sequences repeatedly. The ability to speed through the dialogue was welcomed but without any interactive elements I personally found it less engaging than say Virtue’s last reward.

It seems unfair to criticise a game for something it fails to do rather than for what it actually is. Unfortunately I can’t divorce it from the moment in time I played it and the games within the same genre. Having said all of this I saw all the endings, got all of the trophies, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pay off for unlocking the true ending and how it unravelled made some of the more repetitive moments absolutely worthwhile.
Alex79

Re: Our next podcast recording (20.3.21): 461 - Hatoful Boyfriend: A School of Hope and White Wings

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: March 20th, 2021, 8:24 am I am probably one of the few people who found the elevator pitch of Pigeon Dating Simulator off putting...
I really don't think you were :lol:

I did download this to my Vita to try to play along with the show but found the opening hour a bit boring and struggled to keep going. Might go back to it though, plenty of time.