Celeste

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Celeste

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Celeste for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
RadicalDog

Re: 454 - Celeste

Post by RadicalDog »

This one is it. It's as tight as Super Meat Boy, but manages to accomplish some real storytelling in the process. And not just in a "cutscene movie" type of way, but in actually linking the gameplay to the story!

It builds everything around the theme of defeating the mountain, and in doing so, finds its own voice in a very crowded platformer subgenre.

I would like to add that it has a very strong "assist mode", that puts bigger companies' accessibility options to shame. (Get it together, Nintendo!)
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

I'd never played a true indie game before the spring of 2018, but then, after lingering for months in Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey immediately after my wife gave me a Switch in the winter of 2017 and right when I discovered the Cane and Rinse podcast in the now infamous Vice article, I played in quick succession, Shovel Knight Issue 325) , Celeste (Issue 454), and Hollow Knight (sure to be discussed in issue 495 Ori and the Will of the Wisps). Celeste was neither the most eye opening of these games for me, nor was it the most fun, but it was the most rewarding to conquer, at least in the meager way that I conquered it, which is to say I died over 2000 times while summiting Celeste Mountain on the default difficulty setting, grabbed only a few strawberries, fewer B sides, and enough blue hearts to enter and then work through the heart of the mountain. That said this was all rewarding because the game was, to my mind and fingers, so damn hard.

I know that because of all the assist modes and adjustable difficulty settings the creators were willing to let me come to the game on my terms, but the blink-and-you're-back-standing restarts, the very generous checkpointing, the simultaneously soothing, atmospheric, inspiring soundtrack, the dynamic use of HD rumble, all matched with the bouncy, fluid pixel art made that challenge addictive instead of antagonistic.

As to the narrative level progression, it wasn't all aces, but the haunted hotel stuffed to the gills with laundry, its walls and owner coming apart at the the seams stood out, as did the first ending where Madeline doesn't reach Nirvana, just an uneasy truce between the best and worst parts of herself that makes it possible for her to stomach the thin air and enjoy the view in a moment of accomplishment, with the understanding that future moments of failure are not far away.

Three Word Review: My poor pie
psychohype

Post by psychohype »

I don’t love it. I don’t hate it. Above all else, a tough-as-nails platformer lives and dies by the tightness and fluidity of its controls. And for my money, 2010’s Super Meat Boy is still the gold standard. For whatever reason, the controls in Celeste never ceased to give me grief. Specifically, the dashing controls. I think it’s because the dashes can only move in 8 set directions. It felt like so many times when I wanted to go up and to the right, I would instead go straight to the right and miss my target. Constant trajectory mistakes. Despite finishing the game and snagging quite a few strawberries along the way, I never felt like I quite got the hang of it.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I was hesitant about Celeste going in after hearing the comparisons with Super Meat Boy in terms of it's difficulty, but it was getting so much praise that I knew I had to play it as soon as I saw a good price for it, so when it appeared in a Switch sale I grabbed it up. Whilst it is brutally hard, I didn't find it quite as hard as Super Meat Boy which I wasn't able to finish, I did however manage to finish Celeste without the need of assists.
A lot was made of the story in Celeste and how it relates to anxiety, depression and mental health. I didn't know whether I would get the same reaction as others had to the game given I hadn't suffered from anxiety or depression, but despite this it did have an effect on me. I could relate to what Madeline was going through due to other mental health issues I've had through an eating disorder, which even though that wasn't something Madeline suffered from, I found some of her feelings to be applicable to my past own feelings in many ways.
I thought overcoming the challenge of climbing the mountain and the sense of achievement or lack thereof as she got closer to the peak was quite profound and effecting.
Most of all though I found the game to be challenging but fair and most importantly fun, the story on top of those pixel perfect mechanics make this arguably my favourite 2D platformer of all time.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I agree completely, this game was tough in places, but nowhere near Super Meat Boy levels of difficulty. I managed to beat the game without assists. I didn't collect every collectable, but I got pretty close. This game was brilliant, perfect platforming controls, aesthetically pleading and a great soundtrack (which is currently in the news for all the wrong reasons...) The game took a very short amount of time to click, but once it did, I loved it all the way to the end. I found the story relatively interesting, but ultimately not really explored enough to have any real impact. Overall, brilliant game.

THREE WORD REVIEW: Tough, never unfair.
The J-Boog

Post by The J-Boog »

Celeste is one of those games I'd never thought I'd enjoy due to its tough as nails platforming. Finally gave it a go in 2019 after seeing all those rave reviews and rediscovering my love for 2d-platformers with the excellent Rayman Legends. I can now safely say Celeste is one of my all time favorite games. Finishing another brilliantly crafted screen after countless tries is immensely satisfying and the tight controls, smooth movement and instantaneous respawns make it an absolute joy to play. It even led me try out a game that I had always imagined I'd enjoy even less: the inevitable Super Meat Boy (and I loved it) .
The one downside to Celeste is that I'll never be able to go back to enjoying 2d Mario games, which feel clunky and sluggish in comparison.
Quiet Paul

Re: Our next podcast recording (30.1.21): 454 - Celeste

Post by Quiet Paul »

A cracking metaphor for a journey with mental illness. While the concepts themselves are not original, it is still unique in that it is Madeline’s journey.

One thing that stuck with me throughout was a loading screen postcard reading: “Be proud of your death count! The more you die, the more you’re learning!”. Terrible real-life advise, but it does make reaching the summit of Celeste mountain a bit easier, when remembering that.

I adored Madeline, her doppelgänger projection of her ‘bad’ self and all the other characters throughout the game. I seen Theo as the cool social media addicted companion, there to remind Madeline that talking to someone about her feelings and thoughts is always a good thing, even when he seems to be wrapped up in his own journey.

Mr. Oshiro represented a big challenge to Madeline as he essentially halted her progress by forcing his own issues on to her. Despite her telling him that she was not interested in staying but just passing through, he insisted that she stay. Madeline’s inability to confidently say no enabled Mr. Oshiro’s delusion to continue to the point he became enraged when the darker side of Madeline finally spoke up and told him what she/they really thought. I’d suggest it’s worth remembering that although Oshiro is the complete opposite of Theo, that doesn’t make him a bad person.

Personally the only reason I played through this game without giving up with what clumps of hair I had left, was the story and the characters who felt very relatable. Especially Madeline’s battles against herself. I’ve played a few games like Celeste but only finished one or two and the rest I just felt no reason to become annoyed with and stopped playing (SMB). With Celeste, I felt as though I had to see it through, for Madeline but also myself. And as much as I appreciate the option is there, I never used Assist Mode.

Fantastic little game that I’d recommend to anyone! I think it’s a very relevant game especially with the World as it is just now!

#blessed
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

I hate trying to find ways to discuss how to describe a game where a lot of it comes down to saying how good it feels to play. But for Celeste that is my abiding memory of a game that simply felt special. The flow of movement was sublime for me. The character was responsive and nimble with layouts that gave you enough of a guide as to what to do but were not always so obvious as to be pandering. Collectibles were set in enticing places to make the mind boggle and the slow release of abilities managed to never overwhelm or confuse. Everything felt measured but also frantic, pressured but not unreasonably punishing with a quick restart to erase the imprint of previous failures. It managed to encapsulate the best thing about being a game; words can paint the picture but until you play it they can never be enough.

I also want to give a special mention to the soundtrack which is something that contained some of the best music that year. Capturing both the onscreen action and the associated mental state of the protagonist in a chip tune rendering it still is on repeat for me on a regular basis.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Celeste is one of my favorite games... for the Pico-8.

No level takes more than thirty seconds to beat. You're rewarded for immediate movement and learning on the fly rather than looking through a set of binoculars, memorizing what needs to be done, and repeating the same series of inputs over and over again like you're memorizing a combo in a fighting game. It doesn't overstay its welcome, which at the same time encourages replayability for those looking to beat their old times.

The best thing about Pico-8 Celeste, though, is that you can't grab onto the walls. I understand why it's in the modern version, to allow for a bit of breathing room, but playing without wall grabs can make the flow of the game feel more focused. If the habit stays after playing the older title in Chapter 3, it can turn a slow series of timed jumps into a collection of madcap dashes from one room to another.

I realize I'm in the minority on this one, but to me, Pico-8 Celeste promotes a fast, reactive playstyle, while its younger sibling is more about refinement, almost like learning an instrument. I prefer the former to the latter, though I also realize that the plot/aesthetic elements are more important than the gameplay for some in terms of which Celeste is Cebeste. I'm thankful both versions are included, so that all players can have something they'll be able to enjoy.

Now if only we had a follow-up to Maddy Thorson's other magnum opus, RunMan: Race Around the World.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

I brought Celeste aware of, and slightly intimidated by its difficult reputation. I resolved to play as far as I could without assists, and then gradually toggle them on as needed.

I got through the story with relatively little trouble-that is to say, countless deaths – and was ready to call it quits when I started the post game. “Its OK, you’ve proven yourself” I thought…but then, as my head started bobbing to the groovy tunes of the third B side remix, a switch was somehow flipped in me. Why not see how farI could go? As long as it was fun. And so, I kept pushing and pushing, past all the strawberries, all the B sides, all the way to the grueling Farewell chapter where I finally hit a wall and it started to feel Not Fun.
I ended up never using the assists at all, but I still credit the psychological boon from having a safety net with a lot of my completion of the game. Weirdly, sometimes the knowledge that you have something to fall back on, that you don’t have to push yourself to the extreme, is what gives you the strength to push ahead and do just that. The important thing is that you set your challenge at a level you are comfortable with, that you are in control

Ultimately, Celeste taps into the core reason I play games. Living in a turbulent world with two kids and a career in science where planning and results are in constant flux, Video Games are a reliable source of Accomplishments – a way for me to overcome a defined challenge and achieve definite progress in a reasonable amount of time. As someone who has both climbed am mountain and played countless hours of video games, the simple feeling that you Accomplished Something can be incredibly rewarding, and Celeste not only taps into that due to the brilliant level design, but weaves this truism into the very themes and story of the game.

3 word review: Intense Stress Reliever
Ventis

Post by Ventis »

To me, this game is a more nuanced and meaningful 'Braid'. Where Braid uses clever gameplay mechanics to tell a story which some may deem a little problematic and quie shallow, Celeste uses quite simple (but brilliant) gameplay to tell a story which is touching, relevant and ultimately heartening. When i see it go on sale i immediately pester my friends to go buy it, it's that great.
Gadget8Bit

Post by Gadget8Bit »

Never has a game simultaneously made me so angry yet impressed me so much.

I’m confident that Celeste might be one of those rare, perfect games. The platforming mechanics are tuned to perfection, the art style is to die for and the soundtrack is simply stunning.

Despite its unforgiving difficulty curve, I cannot think of a platformer I’ve ever enjoyed more
Steve Arran

Post by Steve Arran »

Despite its critical acclaim I sadly have to admit that I fell off Celeste on a first play-through, though after a recent completion of an equally difficult platformer /metroidvania I will definitely re-engage after this podcast. However, despite my furtive dalliance, I did take away two incredible things from my time with Madeline and her quest to conquer the mountain. First, the breathing feather trick really does work for me when dealing with attacks of anxiety and any game which treats mental health management in a sympathetic and non sensational/theatrical manner deserves all the praise it deserves. And Second; Oh man that soundtrack! It’s one of only a handful of purchases I’ve made to listen outside of playing the game, and if you pop this on your iPod whilst going on a run you too can conquer mountains.
Jobobonobo

Celeste

Post by Jobobonobo »

I was only semi-aware of Celeste but paid it no real attention since its release. I mean indie 2D platformers are common as muck these days and the general aesthetic was not enough to grab my attention. But when I heard the podcast was covering it and it being a short little indie game I decided why not try this out? I'm glad I did. This is some of the tightest platforming I have played in years, legitimately Mario-tier. I of course messed up numerous times but 99% of the time it was my fault. The controls are incredibly rock solid as they should be for the demanding manoeuvres the game asks of you. I would remember dying over and over in certain parts and just shutting it off and returning the next day, conquering it within five minutes. The few tricky rooms that I did in one smooth go felt incredibly satisfying to pull off and were the moments when I felt at one with the game. The checkpoint system was just right, frequent enough to not be hair pullingly frustrating but seldom enough to not make the game a pushover. Mechanics were introduced at a nice steady pace to keep the game interesting and contributed to the game's overall fantastic level design.

But tight controls, interesting level design and lovely soundtracks are something that have been common factors in many platformers I have enjoyed over the years. What really makes Celeste stand out is its storytelling. Mental health is a brave topic for any game to handle, never mind a 2D platformer but this game manages to craft a compelling and empathetic story that had me rooting for Madeline to accomplish her task. I had just managed to reach the summit on the day of recording. It felt amazing after going through the deluge of obstacles this game throws at you to finally persevere and get to the top. Seeing Madeline come to grips with her doubts and insecurities and work together with the more toxic part of her to conquer the summit was one of the most wonderful finales in gaming I have encountered in quite some time. This is a true modern classic and one that will forever stay with me in terms of character, story and gameplay. Now it is time to jump into the real challenge, the B and C sides. Won’t be easy but I can't not try, can I?

Three word review: Jump, dash, climb