First or memorable platinums / 100% achievements

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: First or memorable platinums / 100% achievements

Post by Jon Cheetham »

That has been my philosophy towards platinuming games to be honest - if it's fun I'll do it. Even doing an entire extra run of Dragon's Dogma to mop up one last elusive side quest I'd managed to miss by talking to someone too soon - I'm more than happy to play that game again and I can beat it in a few hours now.

With Bloodborne's plat the chalices put a lot of people off but doing them co-op with my brother made them a really fun and memorable challenge instead. Only the Defiled Amygdala was a real roadblock but we got it in the end.

I've also only done this on the PlayStation, perhaps ticking off achievements to me seems more suited to sitting back with a pad in hand immersed in a game, rather than sat at my laptop for example, where I typically only play stuff with mkb.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Quiet Paul wrote: March 24th, 2021, 5:32 pm
I honestly don’t remember collecting the Dead Space cheevos but having a wee look at the list again it looks like one of those games you can unlock them by playing the game through naturally once or twice and following a guide to sweep up the rest. From what I can remember the game’s good enough though it doesn’t feel like an effort really.

Arkham Asylum is one I’ve always wanted to go back to. Maybe I will make a point of doing that this year, I loved that game! I think I was just rubbish at timing combos and stuff. Infamous 2 is another one I’ll need to get round to at some point. Too much!
[/quote]

I thought there was one where you had to go through the game without dying.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Truk_Kurt wrote: March 25th, 2021, 9:45 am I thought there was one where you had to go through the game without dying.

Not that I can see. There is the Epic Tier 3 achievement which is to complete the game on Impossible difficulty. If I’ve done it then it’s definitely doable! Plus it’s a fun game to play still. Also if it’s too much there are cheats you can use which don’t disable the achievements.

Here’s a wee guide I spotted while I was looking that up. It’ll help if you or anyone is looking to complete this game:

https://www.xboxachievements.com/game/dead-space/guide/

- There’ll be ones on YT as well if that’s easier.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

My first memory of 100% completing something is Kirbys dream land 2 on the Gameboy. When you beat King Dedede normally you are treated to a list of named enemy sprites during the credits, ending with a completely new Boss Sprite simply labeled “???”. This caught my young self completely off guard. Who was that guy? Had I not beaten the game? After doing some puzzle solving- easily the most challenging part of the game- and collecting all 7 Rainbow Drops I faced off with Dedede once again, only to have an evil, amorphous black creature emerge from his body which Kirby faced off with in space using his newly formed rainbow sword. The sword copy ability does not otherwise exist in this game, and I found this encounter absolutely exhilarating, though it seems laughably easy in retrospect. But it set the stage for me to seek out the hidden superbosses and ultimate challenges of gaming.

Fittingly, one of my adult selfs biggest accomplishments (involving an actual challenge) also comes from a Kirby game, namely Kirby Super Star Ultra. At the end of everything this game as to offer lies the True Arena, a grueling boss rush with difficulty way beyond what the game otherwise has to offer. Recovery potential is limited, bosses come in their most aggressive variants, and the atmosphere is foreboding. I slowly work my way forwards, gradually settling on Plasma as my ability of choice – an ability that allows you to fire long distance projectiles, but only if you furiously mash the d-pad in different directions to build up charge.

The whole ordeal culminates with the dreaded Marx Soul, a souped up version of the “regular” final boss. At this point I’ve spent hours in this mode, desperately clamoring to keep hold of my plasma ability, which can be lost if Kirby takes a hit. My fingers are so very very sore from building up charges so I can fire shots, with my fidgety Kirby scrambling everywhere. I’m down to my last sliver of health. Marx Soul teleports to the side of the screen, ready to fire a laser that will kill me instantly if it connects, but almost by instinct I have already launched a charged plasma bolt his direction. He gives out a blood curdling scream, vanishes, and I exhale, having 100% completed the game. Even now, I can still see it play out in my mind as the most tense gaming battle I ever fought; maybe I would find it easier to deal with now, but I am content to leave this memory be.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Mr Ixolite wrote: March 25th, 2021, 2:09 pm Fittingly, one of my adult selfs biggest accomplishments (involving an actual challenge) also comes from a Kirby game, namely Kirby Super Star Ultra. At the end of everything this game as to offer lies the True Arena, a grueling boss rush with difficulty way beyond what the game otherwise has to offer. Recovery potential is limited, bosses come in their most aggressive variants, and the atmosphere is foreboding. I slowly work my way forwards, gradually settling on Plasma as my ability of choice – an ability that allows you to fire long distance projectiles, but only if you furiously mash the d-pad in different directions to build up charge.

The whole ordeal culminates with the dreaded Marx Soul, a souped up version of the “regular” final boss. At this point I’ve spent hours in this mode, desperately clamoring to keep hold of my plasma ability, which can be lost if Kirby takes a hit. My fingers are so very very sore from building up charges so I can fire shots, with my fidgety Kirby scrambling everywhere. I’m down to my last sliver of health. Marx Soul teleports to the side of the screen, ready to fire a laser that will kill me instantly if it connects, but almost by instinct I have already launched a charged plasma bolt his direction. He gives out a blood curdling scream, vanishes, and I exhale, having 100% completed the game. Even now, I can still see it play out in my mind as the most tense gaming battle I ever fought; maybe I would find it easier to deal with now, but I am content to leave this memory be.
Congrats on beating True Arena! It is the only thing left for me to do in Super Star but Masked King Dedede just keeps destroying me. Even with a computer controlled ally, this is an absolutely brutal challenge and keeping them alive is a real struggle. Crazy how a series known for its lack of challenge can have a mode that is completely merciless if you are not prepared for what it throws at you. One day I hope to conquer this mode but might be a while for me to have time to dedicate to that.

As for me, the only game where I got all achievements was the XBLA version of Banjo Tooie on XBox 360. This is ironic as I did not even 100% complete the game (Latter FPS sections are very annoying and I value my hands too much to beat Canary Mary in last level). But the number of achievements were fairly small and it was just by messing around in the worlds that you could get most of them. Still, even though I am not really into achievement/trophy hunting it was pretty satisfying getting all achievements in a game. Funnily enough, I did not get all achievements when I played the smaller and easier Banjo Kazooie on XBLA. Must have missed one honeycomb piece or something, I guess!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've really only done two plats, but both were memorable.

On my PS3, my first-ever plat was on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I grew up with the Genesis, but I hadn't played (or even largely heard of) the majority of the games on this disc, so playing a good chunk of most of them for this trophy was a good time.

Last summer, during the big ol' lockdown, I got the plat for Final Fantasy XIII-2, which was really kind of an oddball one to do. I REALLY didn't like XIII, but I kinda really loved XIII-2. Not as much as the golden age of FFs 5 through 10, but it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish, and the platinum here does what trophies really ought to do - forced you to see every little nook and cranny of the game. I spent a solid 3 or 4 weeks on this one, and I don't regret a second.

I honestly legitimately recommend 13-2 if you DIDN'T like 13, because it actively discards a lot of the first game's plot to have a fun time travel game, and it actively subverts existing characters by thrusting them into unexpected roles. This is, in my opinion, by far the most underrated Final Fantasy title.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Quiet Paul wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 10:23 pm
Spoiler: show
Games 100% achievements for:

Xbox 100% achievements:

• Condemned
• Little nightmares
• Little Nightmares II
• Banjo-Kazooie
• Your Toy
• Outlast
• Outlast 2
• What Remains of Edith Finch
• Oblivion
• Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
• Call of Duty: MW2 Remastered
• Turok
• Modern Warfare 2
• CoD: Modern Warfare Remastered
• SOMA
• Firewatch
• Blackwood Crossing
• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
• The Invisible Hours
• Life is Strange: Before the Storm Ep1
• Life is Strange
• Black Mirror
• Gone Home: Console Edition
• The Station
• NORTH
• Bully Scholarship Edition
• Portal: Still Alive
• Dead Space
• Assassin’s Creed II
• Saw
• Silent Hill Homecoming
• DR2: Case Zero
• TigerWoodsPGATour 09
• Sherlock Holmes
• A Kingdom for Keflings
• Terminator Salvation
• TMNT
• XMen Origins Wolverine
• Hitman: Blood Money
• Doom Eternal

PlayStation Platinum & 100% Completions:

• Metal Gear Solid (PS1 & Twin Snakes)
• Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
• Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
• Silent Hill (PS1)
• Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
• Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
• Silent Hill 4 (PS2)
• Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (PS2)
• GTA III (PS2)

Other:

• Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
• Shadow Man (N64)
• The Legend of Zelda (3DS)
• TLoZ II: The Adventure of Link (3DS)
• TLoZ: A Link to the Past (SNES & Switch)
• TLoZ: Ocarina of Time (N64)
• TLoZ: Majora’s Mask (N64)

+Doom Eternal

If anyone would like a hand with the MP achievements in Doom Eternal I’d be happy to help out.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Quiet Paul wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 10:23 pm
Spoiler: show
Games 100% achievements for:

Xbox 100% achievements:

• Condemned
• Little nightmares
• Little Nightmares II
• Banjo-Kazooie
• Your Toy
• Outlast
• Outlast 2
• What Remains of Edith Finch
• Oblivion
• Call of Duty: MW2 Remastered
• Turok
• Modern Warfare 2
• CoD: Modern Warfare Remastered
• SOMA
• Firewatch
• Blackwood Crossing
• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
• The Invisible Hours
• Life is Strange: Before the Storm Ep1
• Life is Strange
• Black Mirror
• Gone Home: Console Edition
• The Station
• NORTH
• Bully Scholarship Edition
• Portal: Still Alive
• Dead Space
• Assassin’s Creed II
• Saw
• Silent Hill Homecoming
• DR2: Case Zero
• TigerWoodsPGATour 09
• Sherlock Holmes
• A Kingdom for Keflings
• Terminator Salvation
• TMNT
• XMen Origins Wolverine
• Hitman: Blood Money
• Doom Eternal
• Doom 64
• Alan Wake
• Castlevania Anniversary Collection
• Donut County
• Wheel of Fortune
• Twelve Minutes
• Death’s Door

PlayStation Platinum & 100% Completions:

• Metal Gear Solid (PS1 & Twin Snakes)
• Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)
• Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
• Silent Hill (PS1)
• Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
• Silent Hill 3 (PS2)
• Silent Hill 4 (PS2)
• Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly (PS2)
• GTA III (PS2)

Other:

• Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
• Shadow Man (N64)
• The Legend of Zelda (3DS)
• TLoZ II: The Adventure of Link (3DS)
• TLoZ: A Link to the Past (SNES & Switch)
• TLoZ: Ocarina of Time (N64)
• TLoZ: Majora’s Mask (N64)

+ Doom 64 (Xbox)

+ Alan Wake (Xbox)- just had a few to mop up in this classic.

+ Castlevania Anniversary Collection (XSX)

+ Donut County (XSX) - a fun wee indie game with easy completion.

+ Wheel of Fortune (XSX) - it is American but most of the sayings are familiar. Easy achievements again!

+ Twelve Minutes (XSX) - decent idea for a game, can imagine people being excited by this one with the star names involved but falls a bit flat IMO. Not too bad though.

+ Death’s Door (XSX) - absolutely brilliant game! Enjoyed every second I played it (two play throughs) and will play it again in the future even after throughly rinsing it.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

I've never felt the compulsion to get platinums, occasionally I think I'll go for one just to give myself some more directed play time after the main bulk of the game is finished but always pretty much immediately peter out. Plus there is always just one stupid bullshit one that takes luck to get. I simultaneously admire and am bewildered by the people who get platinums/100% completion for the Yakuza series.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I suppose there's some more platinums/completed achievement games I can talk about to keep the conversation going.

Quite a few of the games I've completed that way are smaller indie games. They tend to be good candidate for this sort of thing, as they don't tend to have particularly hard achievements, and are also very short. It also gives you a reason to go back through a game you really enjoy, even if it doesn't have a NG+ or post-game content like larger games do. Some games I have like that are Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and AER: Memories of Old. There's also some games in this bracket that just give you them all for going through the story, like SOMA. Kind of similar to that, I have a game called Feather which only has one achievement, and it gives it to you as soon as you start the game.

With games these days constantly getting updated, that has also led to a phenomenon with achievements where it's possible to complete them multiple times, only to lose that once they add more. So I've come across this a few times. I think I had 100% achievements on Forza Horizon 4 on like three separate occasions. Then they added a battle royale mode that I didn't care for, so I gave up trying. Similarly, the first Forza Horizon I completed very soon after release, but then they added an expansion that requires winning a certain number of multiplayer races specifically in the expansion mode, so I never got that achievement.

I'm also very close to getting everything in Darksiders 3 as well. I actually was back when I made my first post in this thread, but figured it didn't count. Anyway, after two playthroughs of the game I got every achievement apart from two. One to reach level 100, which I'm still far away from, and another for collecting a certain amount of souls/XP. So I basically did every challenge the game asked of me, and the only thing left is some grinding.

I also got 100% on Scarlet Nexus recently. Doing so wasn't particularly special in itself, but it was rather unusual how relatively effortless it felt to do with such a big game. It's more a testament to how much I enjoyed it and how it kept me hooked for so long without it ever feeling old. For something that I so rarely do, it hardly felt like I was going out of my way at all.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Nier: Automata was a memorable one for me, mainly because you could basically buy the trophies with in-game currency once you hit a certain point. I can't remember who said it, but I agree with the point that by even doing it this way you're still earning them as to gain that amount of money in the game meant that you certainly put the time in to earn a platinum. I like this concept, as some of the things they ask you do sometimes are weird or luck based. Plus, it was an incredible game that I was glad to fully complete.

I think my first one was actually that terrible Terminator Salvation game. A gold trophy for finishing every level and a platinum for completing the three-hour game. Literally no other reason to play it.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

This topic reminds me of a thing I read a while back. There's an achievement in the PC version of Where the Water Tastes Like Wine that is impossible to obtain through any legitimate way. It's not a game I have played myself, although it is sitting in my library. But it's an interesting story about how that achievement being unobtainable is an intentional choice to reflect the themes of the game.

https://kotaku.com/impossible-steam-ach ... 1847363203
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I usually love to 100% the Mario games, they're always memorable to me, and I love how they usually reward you with a secret final challenge and a thank you note made out of bricks or coins or whatever.

I didn't 100% Breath of The Wild, but I did do all of the shrines and the DLC, and I loved every minute of it. I think to 100% it would include the koroko seeds, which I don't really have the patience to do, but a lot of the joy comes from simply being in the world, and I love that.