Monster Hunter Rise

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: Monster Hunter Rise

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Next to Hamon in the village and Nagako at the hub is a buddy smithy where you can use scrap from each monster to make new weapons and armour for your buddies. It's very fun getting them kitted out.

Not sure about the levelling, mine have been levelling up steadily but you can also send them for training at the buddy plaza.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oooh I totally missed that guy :lol: Thanks, I'll go and have a word.
Eterno

Post by Eterno »

I don't remember the exact HR, I'm gonna say 50, but you need to unlock more hub quest and level up your HR to unlock more levels for your palico and palamute. Eventually they can level up all the way to 50 though you don't get new skills past level 20.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

That makes sense, mine seemed to slow down levelling for a while actually.
Eterno

Post by Eterno »

From level 40+ it really slows down a lot. It took me quite a while to make it to 50 with my palico and that's when I was still doing mostly the endgame hunts so still getting a lot of xp.

I think the training station is actually faster than taking your palico with you after level 40+, so if you wanna get your buddy with the best skills to 50 first, I'd train him there, always using the fast-forward item (the nut shape one).
Can't say I saw much more of a difference between level 40 and 50 but I'm sure it's there 😅
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Eterno wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 4:26 am From level 40+ it really slows down a lot. It took me quite a while to make it to 50 with my palico and that's when I was still doing mostly the endgame hunts so still getting a lot of xp.

I think the training station is actually faster than taking your palico with you after level 40+, so if you wanna get your buddy with the best skills to 50 first, I'd train him there, always using the fast-forward item (the nut shape one).
Can't say I saw much more of a difference between level 40 and 50 but I'm sure it's there 😅
One thing I noticed returning to World recently was how much more helpful palicoes are in that game in a fight, at least in my case. My palico in World is constantly healing me and setting up vigorwasps, which really reduces how many times I have to break off from the fight and get space to drink, not to mention saves my Mega Potions.

In this one palicoes have classes, so I made mine a trapper. I hired a healer palico as well, although he still doesn't provide as much healing as the one in World. Is there a way to spec a palico to do that in this? Are there particular skills they should have?
Eterno

Post by Eterno »

You do have more control over your palico in World since you can order him to use specific skills, but at the same time you get to bring two with you in Rise, instead of one in World, and you keep one even in multiplayer while the one in World would only stay up to 2 players iirc. It’s an interesting balance, I think.

Each palico class comes with specific active skills, the first and that last are shared by all the palicos of a same class, while the other 3 are random and taken from all classes. So when you recruit a new palico you have to check their skills carefully to make sure it matches your playstyle. I personally recruit the gatherer palicos because the plundered items have more than often been these 3% drop rate materials and made me so happy.

If you want a very healing focused palicos, you’d want to recruit a healer type palico with Healing Bubble skill, and ideally also the Vase of Vitality.

Also remember to use the pink cloud booster that makes your palico high, it will not only heal him instantly when you use it but also vastly shorten the recast time of his active skills, so it’s a good idea to use it when the monster makes their first move.

All of this makes palicos about 100 times better than a palamute, and I’m not saying this just because I’m a cat person😂.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If only they could give you piggy backs...

I've not even really paid any attention to my buddies so far. Not their types or skills or anything. I'm still using my two starter ones as well. Maybe I ought to look a bit more in to this buddy meta-game.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah my healer has Vase of Vitality and Healing Bubble, and it still isn't as OP as the one in World. Ah well! I'll definitely try hiring a gatherer as those rare plunders sound really helpful. Thanks, Eterno.

The thing with the palamutes is that after that initial sprint to the monster they don't so much, other than occasionally knock you out of a stun or if you can give them an elemental weapon. My trapper palico regularly immobilises the creature which is very handy especially with the ones that are always moving around. I've got into the habit of taking the palico even on multiplayer hunts.

It really is a furry friend meta game, Alex! I've even got all my extra buddies for the Argosy and the Meowcenaries etc kitted out in the armour my main ones don't use any more.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really enjoying the Insect Glaive. It's like an angry dance! A lot of fun to use once you get the hang of what you're meant to be doing with the Kinsect.

I've found the best way to try new weapons out is go back to the 2 and 3 star Village quests with the easier monsters. It's almost a waste of time going to the training area because you can't learn how to use a weapon properly against a dummy.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

That's my main in Monster Hunter World. Great weapon, make sure you get a good kinsect too! Another odd little buddy to raise and cherish.

I think you can go into the settings and get the "Toadversary" to move around and attack you?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I've got a blunt attacking one at the moment, haven't totally got what each of them do, but have assumed blunt will be better equipped at breaking monster parts. Ah I didn't know that about the training, I'll have a look thanks :)