Monster Hunter Rise

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Monster Hunter Rise

Post by Alex79 »

So I've put a couple of hours in to this, mainly just the tutorial and training missions. Not taken down any big monsters yet, and it seems like it could be fun. There's just too much going on though, so much to remember and learn about! It just throws info box after info box at you. I spent almost an hour last night wandering around looking for fire lanterns for a mission before realising I needed to look for plants, which were even highlighted in my map...

Not sure I've got the hang of the combat yet. Started with sword and shield before trying the long sword, not sure which I prefer. The combat seems a bit weird, I keep missing the enemy! And once you're locked in to a move, it seems you can't change direction until the animation has played out. Obviously I'm going to keep playing, there's a lot to like and I am enjoying it, just not sure it's totally clicked yet.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Glad to hear it's been somewhat enjoyable so far. Give me a day and I'll send you a good beginner's guide because it's not a game that teaches you very well how to actually enjoy the best bits. You can drown in minutiae if you don't streamline it for yourself. As I say, give me a day and I'll send through some tips which apparently really helped mates elsewhere get into it.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

A really good guide channel is Arekzz Gaming on YouTube. He's got individual videos on every weapon in every game and I'm starting to think the reason the tutorialisation in the series is so minimal is Capcom know he's got it locked.

A recent guide: https://youtu.be/91DW_Uws93k
Eterno

Post by Eterno »

Monster Hunter combat is really something you need to get used to before you can enjoy it's depth imo, one key thing I'd is that it's ok to miss! Especially with the slower weapons. It's a bit frustrating at first because other games try to make sure you almost never miss, but in MH you miss a lot and that's part of the hunt, at least for your first 20h or so with a weapon. Animation lock is also a real thing and part of the risk/reward factor.

I'm over 120h in Rise now and still feel really comfortable with only 3 weapons hahaha it's really challenging to master a weapon against all the main monsters.
You might want to go to the training area and try out all weapons to get a feel for it before you pursue one. Once you find one you like I'd recommend sticking to it for a bit. Sword and Shield used to be very beginner friendly but honestly as one of my main weapons in Rise I can say it got way more technical and harder so I wouldn't recommend it as a first weapon per say in this game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks all, played a bit more last night, and undertook my first 'urgent' mission, which was a bigger monster. Still feel like I'm button bashing, and when you have a larger monster on screen and 2 or 3 smaller ones it's kind of chaos and looks messy as hell. I do get the impression that this is the type of game you might have to brute force in to clicking for you. Just sheer bloody minded determination and repetition haha.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

OK, OK, OK... I was playing tonight thinking yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of it a bit more. Still loads I'm confused about, but the actual gameplay is starting to make more sense... I'm having fun...

Then I played my first online hunt. Then another. Then another. And another.

This game is SO MUCH more fun when there are four of you chasing down a monster! It's so exciting! And this is only on the one star missions. I loved it!
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Alex79uk wrote: May 9th, 2021, 12:21 am This game is SO MUCH more fun when there are four of you chasing down a monster! It's so exciting! And this is only on the one star missions. I loved it!
Great to hear this. The online stuff seems daunting because there's a tendency to think you'd better figure out all the other masses of confusing stuff first but in my experience, it's best to just launch yourself at it.

I promised a brief guide to get to the good stuff and minimise the guff. This isn't 100% gospel, it's broad strokes, but it helped a couple of dudes elsewhere get past the masses of info and items and systems and really enjoy the game.
My suggestions:

1. Weapons - Always upgrade. Craft the next available weapon with higher damage and armour with higher defence. Ignore elements and skills until you're doing 6*/7* quests. You can basically ignore buddy gear until you feel you want to bother with it.

2. Items - Register a loadout. Go to the item box and register a basic loadout with potions, mega potions, antidote, Nulberry and rations. Leave the traps and bombs and anything fiddly until you get used to the fundamentals. I never use that stuff unless I'm helping people out. Before each quest, just go to the box and select the loadout. Three seconds of prep.

3. Meals - keep it simple. Register a couple of meals. I never bother with resistances or anything fiddly. Medic, Defender, Weakener is 99% what I have, but they unlock over time. The main boost is to health and stamina so eat before every quest. Again, I just click click click Meal, Points, Usual, skip cutscene. Five seconds.

4. Quests - only big monsters. Skip the foraging missions and kill 20 little monster missions unless they're key quests. Just take on the big monsters. That's the best part of the game.

5. Play online - The carnage of wailing on a monster with three other players is the meat and potatoes of the game. Don't feel bad about getting carried through some tough fights so you can get better gear from the higher rank monster parts. Focus on staying alive, learning its moves and getting damage in where you can. Soon, you will be somersaulting onto its head and breaking parts with the best of them.

Also, the fast travel around the Hub is really snappy. Hold - and select from the menu, instant loading.

My preparation loop is:

Steelworks - upgrade if possible.
Fast travel - Gathering Hub.
Item box - Loadout 1
Canteen - Meal 1.
Quest Board - Join Request.

The above takes a minute at most.

My hunting loop is:

Stay alive. (Shortcut: L + right stick left for health items)
Keep my weapon sharp (Shortcut: L + right stick up for whetstone)
Kill the monster.
If the game clicks with you, then you'll naturally dig deeper into gear and skills and elements and items and all the other stuff, but I think that's a solid guide to getting stuck in.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks, yeah that is helpful, I was getting a bit bogged down with what items to take on hunts and stuff so it's good to know a lot of it isn't needed early game. Same for buddy gear etc.

I stumbled across some buddy training thing earlier. I whacked 1000 coins in to it but it didn't really seem to do anything. There's so much additional stuff that just seems designed to confuse people! Sending buddies out to order items, different traders that don't actually ever seem to sell anything useful etc.

I did an arena monster earlier too, and I'm not sure if I did it by accident but it SEEMED to be forcing me to use a weapon I hadn't used yet. The bow gun. It was actually quite fun to use, but changed the fight dramatically. It's a shame you can take out a ranged AND a melee weapon on missions, because that would be cool. Or a weapon that's like a gun but can turn in to a sword or something, dunno how that would work though.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Alex79uk wrote: May 9th, 2021, 5:03 pmIt's a shame you can take out a ranged AND a melee weapon on missions, because that would be cool. Or a weapon that's like a gun but can turn in to a sword or something, dunno how that would work though.
Sounds like you'll be wanting the Gunlance. :D

The Arena stuff is also a bit different in this one, it unlocks unique weapons.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Tried the gunlance, it's so slow! I've stuck with the sword and shield. I didn't even realise there are dozens of weapons within the main weapon types too! Currently with a bone sword and shield on the second level upgrade.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

The gunlance is slow but a very fun playstyle once you get into it. You can tank almost anything, so you can just face down monsters and look for openings. Real "eye of the storm" battles. Also, you will unlock moves that let you close with the creature quickly to mitigate for the slow movement when unsheathed.

The buddy plaza stuff is helpful but non-essential until you're a way in, I like it as a bunch of management style mini games you can attend to if you want to relax between hunts. I think the most rewarding ones are the Argosy (send your pets to do your shopping for you, so you don't have to do farming runs for important items like herbs, honey etc) and the Meowcenaries (send more pets to look for dropped monster materials, every now and again you might just get the last piece you need to complete an armour set or a weapon). Also the music for the Meowcenaries bangs.

The arena stuff is great. It made me try out weapons I wouldn't have otherwise, like the Light Bowgun which is very fun. You can play Monster Hunter Rise as a third person shooter, and it's amazing!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Some thoughts after 25 hours:

My village rank is 4 star quests and my online is 2 star quests. I tried a 4* village quest last night, and it's the first time in the entire game I've not managed to defeat a monster. It was almost one shotting me, I lasted about five minutes. I'm guessing it's finally time I looked in to different armor and weapon upgrades etc?

Speaking of which, it all seems a bit complicated, so going to have to spend some time getting to grips with all that stuff. Also, switch skills? What are these? From what I can make out, they're basically just special moves you can swap in and out for your weapons?

I've tried a few weapons now thanks to the arena, and my favorites are the sword and shield, the long sword and the switch axe. The axe especially seems a lot of fun to use, and deals good damage I think.

I've started to engage a bit with the delivery service and the mewcenaries down in the buddy plaza. These seem ultimately pointless, but an easy way to get a few free items I guess. I wonder if they might be the only, or at least an easier way of getting some later game items?

Rampage quests, then. Dunno who thought of sticking a tower defence game in the middle of Monster Hunter, but I must admit I groan a little whenever they come up. They're just not really fun.

The expedition quests? Are they just for gathering runs and stuff?

All in all, loving this game. Its really made me want to go back and try others in the series once I'm done with it.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Yeah continually upgrading your weapons and armour is central to the game loop.

Fortunately in this one you can easily tab over in the smithy to see what weapons you can make immediately and what you can upgrade, so you don't have to look at all the nodes on that upgrade path tree.

Switch skills are special moves basically yeah. There's a great one for the switch axe called Invincible Gambit that was basically my go-to. Mained switch axe for like 90+ hunts. Very fun weapon and not too slow, it's a medium pace combat style.

Meowcenaries I find helpful either to have mats coming in all the time or just sell them off since cash gets tight in the end game, and Argosy so I don't have to worry about ingredients for potions and traps (get your buddies farming shockbugs and honey). Expeditions mostly for getting to know the area, open up the sub-camps, or any other reason you want to explore without a timer.

Oh and the rampage quests are much more fun in multiplayer, even with randoms. Which I realise doesn't help for the village quests.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks - speaking of items you pick up, so far all I've used are health potions and stamina packs. I've got so much stuff like the shock bugs you mentioned and dung bombs, all manner of insect and plant, and not really looked in to what any of them actually do at all! I should be a bit more experimental I think.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Everything has a use and you get into the habit of using certain buffs as you go along, but there's loads of stuff I haven't really got my head round yet. Like I was on a quest with my brother the other day and he was using sonic bombs to drive the monster in a particular direction! These games just have so many systems and tools you can use.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Died again last night on an 'urgent' online quest. I can't remember the monster name (think it starts with an M), but it's the first 'boss type' monster you come across - big purple and black guy that fires purple electro stuff about. I fainted twice, and another guy once, which was all of our lives gone. You do feel a bit bad when you're the one who faints last and the quest fails. I wish there was an easy way of inviting friends to hunt, it all seems a bit convoluted to me.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Magnamalo! He's a tough cookie, no need to feel bad. He moves around a lot and is pretty aggressive, especially when online (it scales the monsters up for group hunts).

If you talk to Senri the mailman in the village, you can view online friends and enter their lobby :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Eh, why they roll the credits after defeating Magnamalo?

Seems weird, there are loads of hunts left to do. Annoying really because I typically drift off games once the credits roll as they're 'finished' in my head. Not planning on quitting this, but it's still a mental block kind of thing I have to actively root against...

It's doubly silly since I'd already defeated him in multiplayer.
Eterno

Post by Eterno »

This is probably because it's the end of Village story quest. To further progress the story you have to do Hub quest which used to be very hard solo in previous games so more seen as the multi-player / online arc.
Rise's hub quests are much manageable now solo, so there's less of a separation between the two but some players were village quests only in previous games and so they get the credit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does anyone know much about Palicos and Palamute? My two seem to be stuck at level 20 and not growing any more, and also I've seen other players have buddies with all fancy armor and stuff, and I don't seem to have any different gear or weapons for them, still stuck with their starter gear. I literally have no other equipment for them at all when I go to the buddy board and try to change it.

Any ideas?