Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Dark Souls I & II

Post by James »

arry_g wrote:Regarding the original Dark Souls...

Before fighting the final boss can you kill the remaining Fire Keepers without consequence in NG+? Is the only negative impact covenant and bonfire related?
Yep. Go for it! In fact it's recommended since you'll get some souls and enough Firekeeper Souls to max out your Estus strength.

@CapinGreen
I fired up DSII on PC to take a run at Crown Of The Sunken King and realised that the only character I had on PC was in NG++. Needless to say, I didn't want to wade straight into NG++ DLC, especially with the spammy Hex build I was rocking to mop up Steam achievements... So, I rolled a new character and am on the road to the DLC. Glad to hear that it made the grade for you; I'll let you know how I get on with it. :)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I have reached the last boss in the first game!

Can't do it!

Most success was getting him to half health, but I need to grind souls to improve my stamina and health for a realistic shot.

Unfortunately that is going to take a few hours because I'm a high level, so I'm going to have to check out for a while and come back with some renewed motivation, which is similar to what I had to do after first half of the game.

In too deep not to finish it one day though.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Haven't been playing Dark Souls much lately, but I was thinking about maybe restarting the game. I've put a bit over 9 hours in to it at this point, and I am still stuck at the Capra Demon. Obviously I didn't put all that time in to that one guy, but I put way more than I feel like I should have. Enough to feel like maybe I've done something wrong and should try again with something a bit different. Right now I think I'm a Fighter class. The one who starts off with leather armour with a sword and shield. I was thinking about trying the Knight class, I think it's called. The one who starts with plate armour and is kind of the default Dark Souls character guy. The same equipment that the guy who frees you at the start wears. They seem like similar classes, but I thought maybe there would be some subtle differences which might make is easier starting over.

So I wanted to ask people what they think I should do. Is it a good idea to start again at this point? Or should I just stick it out, or even quit completely? To be honest, if I don't restart at this point, quitting sounds like a more appealing option than smacking my head against that wall another hundred times. But I might just be screwing myself even more if I do re-roll. I'm not sure.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well I restarted Dark souls 4 times before I finnaly got the character I finnished the game so yeah if you think this character doesnt suit you restart and if you dont feel like doing all the same levels again dark souls gives you other options to explore and you can even skip the Capra Demon if you have a certain item,so yeah do it!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Japanese Bloodborne release date is... Feb 5th!
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

*** shakes with happiness ***
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

I have finally made the brave choice to try and get in to Dark Souls 2 and i am looking for any advice and guidence you guys can offer. I have never played more than 40 mins of the game and in that time i had no idea what i was meant to doing so i really am a blank slate when it comes to this series.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

If it is Dark Souls 2 rather than 1 you've opted for then Kotaku actually gave some really good starting tips: http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dark ... 1541720802, point number 5 is one to remember.

Also:

Be patient.
Until you are confident in an area do not be afraid to inch forward with your shield up.
Don't threat about dying - there's always enough Souls about for your first playthrough (although DS2 did make farming a little harder).
Where you can try and lock on and circle enemies and stab them in the back if your weapon type allows for it (beware of enemies in a half shell).
While you're learning, pull enemies as few as possible at a time.
Explore environments and if an environment feels too tough - explore somewhere else and if that doesn't work consult either a WIKI or us on the forums.
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

Thanks. Am i being daft to be thinking about starting as the Deprived?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It'll make it only slightly harder really, won't have much bearing after the first hour or so.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Has anyone finished the DLC yet? Is it worth a but? I'm planning on an entire NG+ of the first game when my sis-in-law gives my disc back but this could keep me busy until then!
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Hmm... perhaps the thread title needs updating or perhaps I am in the wrong place? Given the spiritual successor nature I don't know.

It looks like I've been selected to potentially participate in the Bloodeborne alpha. I just got the e-mail. Apparently this is because I have a Souls platinum (well two actually).
adwild1982

Post by adwild1982 »

arry_g wrote:Hmm... perhaps the thread title needs updating or perhaps I am in the wrong place? Given the spiritual successor nature I don't know.

It looks like I've been selected to potentially participate in the Bloodeborne alpha. I just got the e-mail. Apparently this is because I have a Souls platinum (well two actually).
I have really struggled with this game so not sure about Bloodborne.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think Bloodborne should probably have its own thread myself.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

ratsoalbion wrote:I think Bloodborne should probably have its own thread myself.
That's fine - I guess it isn't like System Shock is coupled with Bioshock in our threads and they're spiritual successors, so that makes sense.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

adwild1982 wrote:I have finally made the brave choice to try and get in to Dark Souls 2 and i am looking for any advice and guidence you guys can offer.
0) DO NOT GET ATTACHED TO YOUR SOULS. Even with the fact that enemies eventually stop respawning when you kill them enough, do not chase after your bloodstain in a single-minded fervour. It would be great if you got those souls back, but if you really want to accumulate souls, you'll be doing other things.

1) Choose whether you want to be the kind of player that blocks or dodges. Rolling works on a different system compared to the previous games, where there were multiple tiers of roll speeds. Now it's a more gradual progression. If you want to use a shield to block hits, feel free to put on heavy armour; at 70% equip load, you'll crash into the ground when you try to roll. If you want to dodge, don't even equip a shield at all, and don as light a set of armour as you can, to put yourself at 20-30% equip load. This will give you a very nice roll that will let you dodge a lot of things once you get comfortable with the timing. You can then put that free hand to work holding another weapon (you can even choose the swordsman as your starting class if dual-wielding sounds up your alley). Remember that you are completely invincible for a certain number of frames during any roll; many enemies are going to have very powerful attacks that you can effectively sidestep with the right timing.

2) Put down your summon sign. Each time you die, your maximum health will go down, eventually leaving you with 50% of your original max. HP. You can get an item, human effigies, to reverse hollowing; never do this. You will want to hold onto effigies for a late-game side dungeon. Instead, use the white sign soapstones. You'll find a large and small one fairly early in the game, and by putting them down, you can get summoned into another player's world. Doing this will not only give you the chance to become human, but it will let you get bonus souls, since the enemies will eventually stop respawning, and refill your health/estus flask/spell uses. If you put down the large summon sign, you will need to help the summoner kill the boss to revert to human. If you put down the small summon sign, you will be in their world for a set time that decreases with every enemy you kill. If you live until that time runs out, you'll return to your world and become human.

3) Summon. Once you become human again, you should hopefully see summon signs around the place, usually before a fog door or at a bonfire. Take no shame in summoning if a section of the level or a boss is giving you grief. Dark Souls 2 isn't good enough to be worth pushing through and trying to solo everything like the first game is.

4) Get a ranged weapon. Whether you choose miracles, sorceries, or plain old archery, have something that you can attack at range with. Ranged weapons can pull individual enemies, deal with annoyances at a distance, whittle down an enemy's health as they run towards you, and are useful in PvP if you want to try and coax some action out of a player that's just waiting for you to get close and smack you to the ground.

5) Get a weapon or a weapon type that has a set of attack animations that you are comfortable with first, then look at finding a powerful weapon of that type or upgrading. All enemies and bosses in Souls games are pattern based, and if you can survive everything that they throw at you while dealing any amount of damage, the amount of damage you do doesn't even matter. Don't just look for the weapon with the greatest set of numbers.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Pretty cool video regarding the whole diginity thing people tend to bring up when they talk about Myazaki`s design:
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Best Dark souls 2 video on the internet right now :D

James

Post by James »

Hokay! It's been suspected for some time, but Namco Bandai and From Software have announced a definitive version of Dark Souls II, called Scholar Of The First Sin, is going to be released on 7th April 2015 for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, and for PS4 and Xbox One! :D

The announcement trailer is below:
James

Post by James »

Further information has been revealed on the PlayStation Blog, who seem to have made the official reveal announcement.

Looks like the Scholar Of The First Sin Edition will include:
- New enemies, a new NPC and some extra lore/story stuff (as hinted at by the title)
- New in-game events (?)
- The three (previously released) DLC areas
- An update to the matchmaking system and a further rebalancing (version 1.1.0)

The PC, PS4 and Xbox One versions will also include:
- Improved visuals
- An increase to the number of players in online (reportedly now six)

It sounds like new retail versions will be released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, as happened for Dark Souls' Prepare To Die Edition. But that the extra bits and bobs will be available to owners of the previous version as a free update. Presumably, this won't include the three DLC areas though.

The PS4 and Xbox One versions seemingly will be complete packages as per other re-releases on those systems.

Obviously, this is all brand new info and I've tried my best to summarise it here. I'm sure there'll be more clarification of exactly what's included with each version.

Other sources:
Joystiq
Polygon