Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by Alex79 »

What's the boss for that area? Four Kings? I know that boss was a sticking point for a lot of people, but I somehow managed it second time. (Not being Billy Big Bollocks, there were plenty of bosses I was banging my head against for days!)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 5:44 pm What's the boss for that area? Four Kings? I know that boss was a sticking point for a lot of people, but I somehow managed it second time. (Not being Billy Big Bollocks, there were plenty of bosses I was banging my head against for days!)
Yeah the four kings. I was listening to the Dark Calls podcast and James mentioned that he went away and levelled up and upgraded his Armor/weapons so I did just that. Went back and chopped them down first time.

Since then I’ve beat the ceaseless discharge through pure cowardice behind a rock and ventured further into Demon Ruins. Weirdly the enemies look far more scary than they actually are!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 7:04 pm Since then I’ve beat the ceaseless discharge through pure cowardice behind a rock...
That's exactly how I did him, both times :lol:

You're powering through this!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Glad you got the Four Kings down because the run-up to them is atrocious.

I like the Demon Ruins quite a lot, really fun getting revenge on the Capras in a more open space.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The Capras go down so easily there and then there are the ?mini? Taurus demons too.

I’ve hit another boss brick wall which is Gravelord Nito. It seems impossible with all the skeletons and i get swamped and overpowered. My going away and levelling up trick didnt work this time so I have to get better at it!

If only the room before the boss wasn’t so hard!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think I was pretty much tanking the bosses by this point in the game. Just stood there swinging for Nito, and managed to deal him more damage than he dealt me. Havel's armour I remember using quite a lot.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Just beat Seath! My heart is pounding! I absolutely hated the run to the boss but thank goodness for all the wonderful people putting their orange soapstone signs down as I would have had no idea where to go otherwise!
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I love Seath so much as a character. The intro CGI where he sells out the other dragons and wails in pain because he's the last of his kind.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I did it! I ended up doing several of the areas but getting stuck at the bosses. So in the end it was a case of warping to the bonfires nearby and polishing them up.

Had about ten goes at Gwyn before summoning Solaire to help. Praise the sun!

A phenomenal experience both solo and with the multiplayer elements. So many unsung heroes helping me along the way with their messages and kindness. Amongst all the despair in the game those orange messages and white/gold summon signs were the seeds of hope. Breathtaking.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Praise the sun! \[T]/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fuck yeah!!

And now games will never be the same again.

:lol:

Well done mate. It's an epic journey, isn't it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:58 am Fuck yeah!!

And now games will never be the same again.

:lol:

Well done mate. It's an epic journey, isn't it.
It was a pretty remarkable experience. I’m interested to see how the environment is different at launch with Demons Souls as more people playing. Many years on the majority of the people playing this seem to know it inside and out with newcomers like me a minority (I think). Also the majority were very nice with very few PVP invaders but I worry that the people playing this at launch will delight in ruining other people’s games. Those orange soapstone signs will be everywhere and full of nonsense too.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I just realised listening to the Bonfireside Chat podcast that I missed the DLC completely. Reading up on it tells me that it’s pretty meaty but also extremely hard. Has anyone given it a go?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Simonsloth wrote: September 27th, 2020, 8:26 am I just realised listening to the Bonfireside Chat podcast that I missed the DLC completely. Reading up on it tells me that it’s pretty meaty but also extremely hard. Has anyone given it a go?
The DLC is one of the best I've ever played. It recontextualises big chunks of the base game lore in really satisfying, clever and moving ways. Ugh, I won't even say any more but yes, you should definitely give it a go! Some fantastic boss fights and really cool areas.

I really enjoyed reading about your journey through this. Looking forward to hopefully bumping into you in Demon's some time soon!

Obligatory recommendations:

Bonfireside Chat (which you're already listening to, obv)

Dark Calls (David Turner, James Farley)

Twin Humanities podcast (the early seasons are all about that first Dark Souls experience)

Essential: VaatiVidya (YT channel all about the lore, there's so much more to the game than your first experience will reveal)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The only trouble with the DLC is that now you've beaten the game you'll have to play a sizeable chunk to be able to access it again, as you get there via Darkroot.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Fair warning, the DLC is where all the PvP invaders are.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not sure why, but I just picked up on a playthrough of DS2: Scholar of the First Sin I started about 4 years ago last night. I'm right near the end of the game, like the very last area, so I'm going to finish it off tonight. I played the original PS3 version as soon as it came out, it's the only game I've ever booked the day off work for! Was really nice to be back in the world last night, I'd forgotten just how much I loved the atmosphere of the games.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Have you done the DLC areas yet? Best stuff in the game, arguably.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I made good progress in all of them before getting annoyed. The combat was tough but enjoyable, but what I hated about all 3 DLCs was the labyrinth like levels, with no clear path or indication where to go or what to do. I don't want to be handheld, but wandering around for ages getting lost wasn't fun. Debating whether to try again and do them. I did a few of the bosses, but not the final boss in any area. Wondering whether to do the tree memory things too. I did them first time round, so might just leave those this time.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I especially love the atmosphere of Drangleic. Dark Souls 2 is my favourite of the series to just exist in and wander around, even if I'm not across the mechanics and gameplay the way I am with the other two.

It's the one I would most want to get ported to the Switch, though that seems unlikely at this point.