Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by Chopper »

You might pick one up as you progress, now that I think about it :)

Great to hear the good news re DS3
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

No spoilers from me, either, but my experience with the Japanese PS4 version puts this right up there. It'll be hard to say it's my favourite because you only get your first Dark Souls experience once, but it's the most consistent and 'successful' Souls game. For the first time, it feels like they achieved what they set out to do. I won't comment on anything else until I've played the English version, though.
FatsoJetson

Re: RE: Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by FatsoJetson »

James wrote:Dark Souls III!

I picked this up via the Japanese Xbox Live store and, thanks to the fact that the "International" version is downloaded on Xbox Ones outside of Japan, I've spent the past week with it.

I'll post no spoilers except to reveal how I'm feeling about it, which is
Spoiler: show
very, very good!
It's worth noting that, until today, using the above method netted you "only" the unpatched version (1.00). Those in the know are saying 1.00 is equivalent to a slightly easier version of the game, used for preview events last month in order to allow attendees to progress faster in the time they had.

This morning, however, the update to v1.01 was made available. That means that the Xbox One version obtained through the above regional loophole is now the same as the review version, replete with some fixes and increased difficulty. I had been trying to compare early game footage to judge whether v1.01 was indeed harder than v1.00, and I didn't think it was. Having now played version 1.01, I can safely say, without doubt, it is quite a bit harder.

I had put 21hrs into a character in version 1.00, and though I could have carried on with this save and the increased difficulty, such was the change that I decided to restart with a new character. :twisted:
You're a better man than me, James Carter. I'll be sticking with my current playthrough as I'm only 3 bosses in, and it felt plenty difficult for me, especially without the option to summon. I look forward to getting my arse handed to me tonight when I put it up to 1.01.
FatsoJetson

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by FatsoJetson »

FatsoJetson wrote:
James wrote:Dark Souls III!

I picked this up via the Japanese Xbox Live store and, thanks to the fact that the "International" version is downloaded on Xbox Ones outside of Japan, I've spent the past week with it.

I'll post no spoilers except to reveal how I'm feeling about it, which is
Spoiler: show
very, very good!
It's worth noting that, until today, using the above method netted you "only" the unpatched version (1.00). Those in the know are saying 1.00 is equivalent to a slightly easier version of the game, used for preview events last month in order to allow attendees to progress faster in the time they had.

This morning, however, the update to v1.01 was made available. That means that the Xbox One version obtained through the above regional loophole is now the same as the review version, replete with some fixes and increased difficulty. I had been trying to compare early game footage to judge whether v1.01 was indeed harder than v1.00, and I didn't think it was. Having now played version 1.01, I can safely say, without doubt, it is quite a bit harder.

I had put 21hrs into a character in version 1.00, and though I could have carried on with this save and the increased difficulty, such was the change that I decided to restart with a new character. :twisted:
You're a better man than me, James Carter. I'll be sticking with my current playthrough as I'm only 3 bosses in, and it felt plenty difficult for me, especially without the option to summon. I look forward to getting my arse handed to me tonight when I put it up to 1.01.
Bloody hell! Just played a little bit this morning and they certainly have ramped up the difficulty. From the bit I played it didn't seem like damage (either inflicted or received) had changed much, but what used to be a quiet path with one or two regular enemies, now has a hard-as-nails magic user hanging around with them.

Gamer pride be damned, I'm thankful that the 'easy' mode was there to ease me in to the game. I guess the real Dark Souls starts here.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

That's my pre-order done! It can't come quick enough at the moment now that JP got it and all the prominent "YouTubers" have it. Had to quit the internet the other day thank's to a gif re-tweet. I've actually found that quite liberating though :D Hopefully it's not a car crash on PC [fingers crossed].
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

One. More. Week.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

That's Dark Souls done. Reckon I can squeeze DS 2 in before 3 comes out :-)
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

martymcfly3004 wrote:That's Dark Souls done. Reckon I can squeeze DS 2 in before 3 comes out :-)
No way dude! DS2 is MASSIVE :D. You might make it with loads of summons (Tip: if you do summon for bosses. Get through the fog gate before they come in otherwise the boss gets more HP)
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

skidoosh wrote:
martymcfly3004 wrote:That's Dark Souls done. Reckon I can squeeze DS 2 in before 3 comes out :-)
No way dude! DS2 is MASSIVE :D. You might make it with loads of summons (Tip: if you do summon for bosses. Get through the fog gate before they come in otherwise the boss gets more HP)
LOL I'm still in the post Souls game completion 'I'm the best gamer in the world' mindset at the minute. DS took me a month of solid play though so you are probably correct in your assessment. I'll probably end up playing DS again as I'm feeling a bit empty now I have finished it. The only other game to have done this to me is Bloodborne. From Software are some kind of game design magicians.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

DS2 is REALLY good! Did you get Scholar? And the difficulty curve is so much smoother that DS. I can get through the game + dlc in about 32hrs now, but that's rushing! Save it until you can pace through it and just enjoy it!
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

skidoosh wrote:DS2 is REALLY good! Did you get Scholar? And the difficulty curve is so much smoother that DS. I can get through the game + dlc in about 32hrs now, but that's rushing! Save it until you can pace through it and just enjoy it!
Yeah, on the ps4, I started playing it last year but for some reason it didn't grab me. Have a character at about level 60 but I can't remember anything about the game so going to start again.

Would you recommend a good starter class? Played as a dexterity pyromamcer in DS and loved it.

Not going to start it until I'm done with DS3 though as want to be involved with a DS game whilst it's new. So excited. Keep trying to open up my pre-order on the xbox but it always remembers it isn't the 12th yet :-(
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

martymcfly3004 wrote:
skidoosh wrote:
LOL I'm still in the post Souls game completion 'I'm the best gamer in the world' mindset at the minute. DS took me a month of solid play though so you are probably correct in your assessment. I'll probably end up playing DS again as I'm feeling a bit empty now I have finished it. The only other game to have done this to me is Bloodborne. From Software are some kind of game design magicians.
The ps2 Shadow Tower Abyss and King's Field the ancient city are both worth playing if you feel you need more of the From software magic game design to pass the time until a new current gen release although not long now to go.

Both king's field and shadow tower abyss work great using a ps2 emulator on PC with a game pad.

They where the games I completed last year after yearning for more souls games after binging on and completing dark, demons,dark 2 scholar, and bloodborne.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

martymcfly3004 wrote:
skidoosh wrote:DS2 is REALLY good! Did you get Scholar? And the difficulty curve is so much smoother that DS. I can get through the game + dlc in about 32hrs now, but that's rushing! Save it until you can pace through it and just enjoy it!
Yeah, on the ps4, I started playing it last year but for some reason it didn't grab me. Have a character at about level 60 but I can't remember anything about the game so going to start again.

Would you recommend a good starter class? Played as a dexterity pyromamcer in DS and loved it.

Not going to start it until I'm done with DS3 though as want to be involved with a DS game whilst it's new. So excited. Keep trying to open up my pre-order on the xbox but it always remembers it isn't the 12th yet :-(
Build diversity is pretty deep in Scholar. For your first run I'd bias to str or dex, but don't forget adp. That builds you agi, which gives you more dodge roll iframes. If you don't like your build you can get souls vestals and take them to the fire keepers in the starting area to re-spec. You can pump some points into int or fth so you can use buffs, but unless you can pump a lot of points in there your better of using resins.

Is that enough abbreviations for you or have you room for some more :D
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

zen_anarchy wrote:The ps2 Shadow Tower Abyss and King's Field the ancient city are both worth playing if you feel you need more of the From software magic game design to pass the time until a new current gen release although not long now to go.
Been listening to the Shadow Tower episodes on Bonfire side chat. Might hit them at the end of the year!
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

zen_anarchy wrote:
martymcfly3004 wrote:
skidoosh wrote:
The ps2 Shadow Tower Abyss and King's Field the ancient city are both worth playing if you feel you need more of the From software magic game design to pass the time until a new current gen release although not long now to go.

Both king's field and shadow tower abyss work great using a ps2 emulator on PC with a game pad.

They where the games I completed last year after yearning for more souls games after binging on and completing dark, demons,dark 2 scholar, and bloodborne.
Ooh, interesting. No need for me to emulate as I have a 60gb ps3. Going to check these out. Thanks for the recommendation.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

skidoosh wrote:
zen_anarchy wrote:The ps2 Shadow Tower Abyss and King's Field the ancient city are both worth playing if you feel you need more of the From software magic game design to pass the time until a new current gen release although not long now to go.
Been listening to the Shadow Tower episodes on Bonfire side chat. Might hit them at the end of the year!
I have listened to their shadow tower and shadow tower abyss podcasts too

Although I have to disagree with their view that the first shadow tower game is better than abyss, I found the first shadow tower game which is on the psone virtually unplayable and really antiquated where shadow tower abyss(fan translation) really clicked with me and fast became one of my all time favourite games.

Bonfire side chat also did a great Podcast on king's field the ancient city is really worth a listen if you are thinking of trying that game out as it will help you through the trickier sections.

I found From's ps2 era games far more fun to play than the early kings field games on psone.
zen_anarchy

Post by zen_anarchy »

martymcfly3004 wrote:
zen_anarchy wrote:
martymcfly3004 wrote:
skidoosh wrote:

Ooh, interesting. No need for me to emulate as I have a 60gb ps3. Going to check these out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Not sure how good your Japanese is ?

shadow tower abyss was a Japanese only release, there is a fan translation on the internet that puts everything in English but not sure how you would go about making that work on a ps3.

as for king's field the ancient city on ps2 you should be able to pick up a copy for around £20 on ps2 and its a great game keeps a lot of a stylistic aesthetics and level design of the souls games with slower paced combat.

also worth picking up on ps2 as it goes for really cheap is eternal ring another ps2 game that was made by From software and was originally going to be part of the king's field series, its a simplified stripped down more combat based version of kings field you should be able to pick up a copy of that game for a mere couple of pounds.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

zen_anarchy wrote:I have listened to their shadow tower and shadow tower abyss podcasts too

Although I have to disagree with their view that the first shadow tower game is better than abyss, I found the first shadow tower game which is on the psone virtually unplayable and really antiquated where shadow tower abyss(fan translation) really clicked with me and fast became one of my all time favourite games of all time.

Bonfire side chat also did a great Podcast on king's field the ancient city is really worth a listen if you are thinking of trying that game out as it will help you through the trickier sections.

I found From's ps2 era games far more fun to play than the early kings field games on psone.
Good to know!

Does anyone have any exp with cheat engine? I recently popped some screen grabs over here and really got into it. Every time I google "ds2 free camera" I get pointed towards that but is that the only option?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

The preload has started!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Its landed in my parcel motel locker! Exciting.