Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Todinho

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by Todinho »

Ok Im a little pissed off right now,I cant really say why without spoiling but it has to do with a boss fight and a character questline,so:
Spoiler: show
One thing Im noticing in this game is that most of the boss fights arent really that challenging and that are alot of "puzzle" boss fights that are hard at first until you figure out there's a gimmick that kills the boss easily,Yhorm the Giant is one such a boss,so he has so many hit points it makes attacking him pointless so you have to get the Stormruler just like you did in Demon souls to be able to beat him,only that barely makes sense here,why would that be effective against him and why doesnt the weapon work against any other giant(I tried it only works on him) that's one problem the other is that Siegward joins you in this fight,it's awesome you get a cutscene of him talking to Yohrm and he has a Stormruler of his own,pretty cool right?So the problem is that when I went to pick up the stormruler I had to manually equip it on my inventory,so I go do that but I cant find the bloody thing and when I leave the menu Siegward is dead,so I can kiss that quest and my favorite character goodbye in the most anti-climatic way possible,and the boss is in my face killing me.The worst part is that the boss is a joke with the Stormruler,this is a huge nitpick I know but it completely ruined that part of the game for me.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

I agree with you on Yhorm, the fight was kinda BS. Ds3's bed of chaos for me. I dropped the Sieg questline somewhere, so I cant speak to that end of it.

As for why its effective, I'm in the dark. The item description isnt exactly clear on that other than the power of the storm brings giants to their knees. Im curious though, i missed a few bosses/areas, but isnt yhorm the only giant in ds3? Other than the tree outside firelink i didnt see any others.

Agreed he was Pinwheel levels of easy once you figured it out.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Jinkkai wrote:
I agree with you on Yhorm, the fight was kinda BS. Ds3's bed of chaos for me. I dropped the Sieg questline somewhere, so I cant speak to that end of it.

As for why its effective, I'm in the dark. The item description isnt exactly clear on that other than the power of the storm brings giants to their knees. Im curious though, i missed a few bosses/areas, but isnt yhorm the only giant in ds3? Other than the tree outside firelink i didnt see any others.

Agreed he was Pinwheel levels of easy once you figured it out.
There's the Giant in the dungeon of irythyl,a bunch of them after pontiff sulivan,a few in the cathedral of the deep and the arrow guy,I counted all of those as giants especially since in Anor Londo you find the Giant coal with the old blacksmith,I dont know if there's a difference beteween those Giants and the Dark souls 2 type but maybe that's why it doesnt work.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

Oh hey, youre right! I guess i didnt count them as the same, since Yhorm was a giant in the ds2 definition. That might be why, since they may be two different species. Wonder if they are both called just generic giant in japanese or if there is a distinction.

Now that i think about it (memory is hazy) was there ever a reason why the ds2 and ds1 giants looked different? If memory serves the ds2 ones come from across the ocean where they got the lordvessal from. Ds1 i cant remember their origins.
Haha cant beleive i forgot all the ones you run across.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Near the end of my first run now. Didn't realise just how invested I was in the Ds universe. Keep seeing things that tie everything all the way back from Demond's to this. Place.

This is definitely the end.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So today was a depressing day both outside and in Dark souls 3,what happened is late game spoilers in Lotric castle and it's something pretty cool so:
I had defeated Oiceros in High Lotric Castle and kept going until I reached a chamber with the path of the dragon gesture, after that there's a ilusonary wall I hit and bam Im back at Ashen cemetery but it's completely dark and the name is different,so it's another place ok,I explore abit,fight a rematch agaisnt the tutorial boss that's been buffed and reach a very similar firelink shrine only everything is dark and dead inside there's no bonfire or NPCs save for a lone crone that mocks you and tells you should leave quickly,but in there there's a Fire Keeper corpse hidden behind 2 ilusonary walls(abit obvious actually) and the loot it has is the eyes of the fire keeper,so I take that back and give it to the fire Keeper in normal firelink and she says she sees a desolate world where fire faded and asks if this is what I want,so I say no because as far as im concerned I've been conned by the Londor people(that was not what I was thinking when wedlock was mentioned) so the Fire Keeper thanks me and begs me to kill her,which I do...Later I talked to Ludleth and realized that if I had done that earlier I probably wouldnt have given her that item,so yeah I cant lvl up now and Im a horrible monster.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

Yea skidoosh, was surprising to see what heartstrings i had invested in this miserable world. Good luck on the last bit!

Spoiler in regard to todinhos post
Ouch! You horrible monster you! That was a tough choice for me to make, ended up giving her the eyes. After that i really watched myself around firelink, as lord stumpy was alluding to a vile act i may or may not do. they kept metioning a betrayal. Not sure what choice ill make next time. Oh speakig of Oiceros, he kept mentioning a name ocelote or something along those lines, but i was bum rushing the ending so never found out. Does that get explained?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Jinkkai wrote:Yea skidoosh, was surprising to see what heartstrings i had invested in this miserable world. Good luck on the last bit!

Spoiler in regard to todinhos post
Ouch! You horrible monster you! That was a tough choice for me to make, ended up giving her the eyes. After that i really watched myself around firelink, as lord stumpy was alluding to a vile act i may or may not do. they kept metioning a betrayal. Not sure what choice ill make next time. Oh speakig of Oiceros, he kept mentioning a name ocelote or something along those lines, but i was bum rushing the ending so never found out. Does that get explained?
The interesting thing I noticed that after I gave her the eyes the music in Firelink changed but once I declined and killed her the music went back to normal so I dont know,now Im kinda wondering what would have happened if I had accepted I suppose I'll have to play again. I regards to Oceiros he talks about his Ocelotte as a son and during the fight you can see him holding something,but he's actually holding nothing,so I think he went crazy and believed he was holding a child but I havent checked any of his itens so maybe there's an explanation there.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

ah ok, didnt notice that when i fought. I think i was too busy looking for Seathe connections hah! Will have to check out items, thanks for he heads up. Yea i remember the firelink music change too. Since you killed her, did you go for the link the fire ending?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've been playing Dark Souls 3 myself as well. Even though I still haven't finished 1 I felt like jumping in on this one too. I haven't really been talking/reading/listening about it much, since I want to try to stay away from spoilers as much as I can. Try to go in fresh, which is something I haven't really had a chance to do with these games before. Part of why I jumped in on this one early. Although, I wonder if I'm missing something by not engaging with people more. Like part of the fun is sharing discoveries with other people. I've done a bit of that, but I'm kind of afraid I'll hear something I don't want to. I want to be surprised by the game as much as possible, but I also feel like I'm handicapping myself at the same time. I'm not the greatest at these games either, so turning down help might not be the bests idea for me.

Either way, I'm having a lot of fun with the game. Although it has really highlighted my love/hate relationship with these games. A couple of times I was considering if buying the game at all was a mistake, because of how aggravated I was getting at some earlier points. But there have been a lot of excellent moments of elation too. I think maybe it was my starting class that was screwing me over early on. I chose a Mercenary class, because I wanted something quick and light, and I wanted to try out dual-wielding. Unfortunately, those swords that class starts with are just too slow. Going up against the knights in High Wall of Lothric was a massive pain. Pretty much everything felt way too aggressive and savage, but those guys especially. But then I found a rapier and a good shield, and it turned things around immediately. I'm a little sad that I had to drop dual-wielding, but I feel much better equipped to deal with stuff now. I'm exploring around the Undead Settlement right now, and I think I've seen most of it. Just need to go deal with the boss whenever I feel like it. Also finally beat that guy near Firelink and got that nice katana. I was a bit worried that thing might be too slow as well, but so far it seems like it's not. Its sweeping special skill attacks are really good too, especially when you get surrounded by annoying rats. I'm kind of hoping I'll get a chance to try out other dual-wielded weapons, but haven't come across any. Also I don't know if they'll just have the same move set and still be too slow.

Overall I think I might be liking this game more than the first. While the increased pace was overwhelming at first, I think I like it now. Helps the combat flow better. The game is gorgeous too. Not the highest level of detail, but way above the first game, and some extremely nice lighting. While the early areas of DS1 got a bit dull with samey looking grey castle areas, here they start you off with two vastly differently feeling areas. I especially love the lighting on High Wall. That nice yellow glow is gorgeous. I'm a bit concerned about the world design though. I haven't got far, so I don't know if this is true for the whole game, and it's not something that really makes the experience significantly worse for me either. But it does seem like a step down, in theory at least, that the different zones in this game don't seem to link up like the ones in the first game did. That was one cohesive world where mostly places were connected to at least two others that you could just walk to. Here it seems like the zones are very much separated from each other, with the only way between them being a single route that involves some kind of flying or teleportation.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Jinkkai wrote:
ah ok, didnt notice that when i fought. I think i was too busy looking for Seathe connections hah! Will have to check out items, thanks for he heads up. Yea i remember the firelink music change too. Since you killed her, did you go for the link the fire ending?
SO it turns out when you kill her she comes back with no memory which made me really happy and probably saved my playthrough XD,as for the ending I said I was kinda mad with the Londor guys but I think I already did all of their questiline so I dont know if I you'll get the dark ending regardless or if giving the eyes to the Fire keeper was part of it because I dont think it is otherwise Yuria would have said it but I dont know I can always give the eyes back to her I suppose,I friend of mine is going through with it and he didnt do any of the Londor quest so I wonder if there's more then 2 endings in the game
Scrustle the world is more interconnected then you think but it's not as interconnected as Dark souls 1 for sure,it's alot more like BloodBorne's structure, and dont worry there's plenty of other dual wielding weapons but I think they just start showing up a bit later on.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Well I stayed pretty quiet but I've been playing, I'm just up to
the two princes? I have no idea what's going on in the game storywise but it's fun. I just can't wrap my head around the whole lore thing, luckily I don't need to in order to get my fun out of it but I had some stumbling blocks with 2 or 3 bosses so it's a fairly tough one as souls games go. Not sure how far is left but at 30 hours in I'm guessing a little more yet.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Is anyone playing this on PC that can help me with the
Nameless King
? I've tried summoning randoms but they're that bad all the do is give him more hit points and then die!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Sorry Im on PC but I started NG+ with my first character and just started another so Im pretty far from it.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Cheers anyway mate. I'll just have to persist. The first phase is easy. I just bait of the fire attack. But the second phase he's all over me like a tramp on chips :-/
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've made my way up the Cathedral of the Deep. But before I talk about that, I want to talk about the previous area. The game certainly opened up in that swamp area. The linearity definitely stopped, and it's back to the good old interconnectedness of Dark Souls. It's nice to see that kind of design is still there. Definitely does add to the experience. I found the way to the next area before exploring the whole place, so I stuck around for a bit exploring more, but I still haven't seen everything. I went a little bit in to the poison area, but decided to turn back for now and come back later when I'm better prepared. I also managed to beat the boss of the swamp in one go. I just stumbled on them by accident with only a few Estus flasks remaining, but I managed to make short work of them.

But now I'm at the cathedral, kind of. This area is kicking my arse. Still haven't actually gotten inside the place yet, if that's even possible, and it's so far between bonfires! I feel like every time I get killed it's because I've gotten screwed over by something too. Usually it's the camera it seems. While pretty much everything about the game seems to be an improvement over the first as far as I can tell, the camera lock-on is not one of those things. It's really unhelpful in some situations, which is really odd. It was fine before. I was thinking about trying to summon some help for this area, but I've been having a hard time finding anyone. So far I've actually been making pretty great pace through the game, apart from at the very start at least. Things have slowed down again now.

And I don't know if this is going too far in to spoiler territory, so I'll keep this vague. I've been using the help of the NPC you find near the start of Undead Settlement. I haven't used much of their help, but I'm kind of regretting it. I've asked some people about it, and I've heard I can kind of reverse it, but I've already screwed up somewhat. Not sure if I should continue down this road or seek help. If I do want to fix this though, I'm not sure how I would. I've got a vague idea, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Scrustle wrote: And I don't know if this is going too far in to spoiler territory, so I'll keep this vague. I've been using the help of the NPC you find near the start of Undead Settlement. I haven't used much of their help, but I'm kind of regretting it. I've asked some people about it, and I've heard I can kind of reverse it, but I've already screwed up somewhat. Not sure if I should continue down this road or seek help. If I do want to fix this though, I'm not sure how I would. I've got a vague idea, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.
No spoilers but you have nothing to worry about,the game isnt gonna do anything to you that you dont consent to,frankly you have nothing to lose by accepting that help and you can always back down later. Also yeah I found the lock-on in the game to be really weird at times,I think what fucked it up was the increase in speed of the game that kinda trew the camera a bit outta wack,it's not usually a issue but when it is it's really annoying.

PS: Fire is effective in the area you're in ;)
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Just got past my first wall in the game. A boss that took me over 30 attempts to beat and it appears I'm the only one in the world to have a problem with this boss!
The Old Demon King!
It feels like my Ornstein and smough for this game so far.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I also had problems with it XD which is weird because looking back I feel that he wasnt that hard but still...
Addman

Post by Addman »

martymcfly3004 wrote:Just got past my first wall in the game. A boss that took me over 30 attempts to beat and it appears I'm the only one in the world to have a problem with this boss!
The Old Demon King!
It feels like my Ornstein and smough for this game so far.
It was difficult to get close to him as a melee character, since most of his attacks have a large area of effect and tend to keep you at range. It took me a few attempts too, but not quite as many as 30. :P