Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by dezm0nd »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmmm, I'm not sure that's something I'll be downloading. If they took the endless running out of it I might be interested, I'd love a 2D Dark Souls.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

I think a 2D Dark Souls could be cool, but man, that looks TERRIBLE.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well there's a bunch of 2D souls like games in development(Death's Gambit,Salt&Sanctuary,Hyper Light Drifter) they just dont seem to come out XD but yeah if this doesnt feel right I wonder what Namco is gonna do once From Software jumps ship after 3,Im not very hopefull.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It looks exactly NOTHING like a Souls game. It's a bit weird considering it's from NamcoBandai themselves.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Risk Of Rain looks pretty good too.
James

Post by James »

Also, out right now is Dark Maus, but coming soon are Death's Gambit and Salt & Sanctuary (already mentioned), as well as EITR and Below.

Titan Souls too, but that's kinda pushing the boat on what can be thought of as a Souls-like. After all, Risk Of Rain, Rogue Legacy, Shovel Knight and even The Binding Of Isaac have elements in common with Souls games, but they are really Roguelikes or Roguelike-likes (the semantics get real down that particular rabbit-hole). :ugeek:

Other than Lords Of The Fallen and upcoming Ni-Oh, I can't think of any 3D games that push beyond kinda spurious PR claims of being Souls-inspired.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I helped the dev out with a bit of quality assurance for Dark Maus. It's good!
James

Post by James »

WARNING! There are a lot of Dark Souls III videos hitting YouTube today from folks who attended a preview event last week (VaatiVidya, LobosJR and Peeve I know of, but there will surely be plenty of others within and outwith the usual Souls community folks). I have it on good authority that there are pretty significant story spoilers in these preview videos, so please tread carefully if you're sensitive to that kind of thing.

We're 23 days away from the game's Japanese launch, so I fully expect spoilers to come thick and fast from here on out.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

I found a copy of a limited Edition Dark Souls 1 for the ps3 with soundtrack and making of DVD at the start of March and thought I would play the first few hours of it as I have never played it before and wanted to get a taste of it before 3 comes out (I'm a huge bloodborne fan). All I can say is wow. A few hours is now about 45 and I've just taken down o and s after 14 tries. I still think Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time bit this is probably a close second. Fingers crossed that From don't mess this up this year!
mikeleddy83

Re: RE: Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by mikeleddy83 »

martymcfly3004 wrote:I found a copy of a limited Edition Dark Souls 1 for the ps3 with soundtrack and making of DVD at the start of March and thought I would play the first few hours of it as I have never played it before and wanted to get a taste of it before 3 comes out (I'm a huge bloodborne fan). All I can say is wow. A few hours is now about 45 and I've just taken down o and s after 14 tries. I still think Bloodborne is my favourite game of all time bit this is probably a close second. Fingers crossed that From don't mess this up this year!
Only 14 tries? Impressive. First time around I'm sure I hit close to 50 if not more.
martymcfly3004

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by martymcfly3004 »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Only 14 tries? Impressive. First time around I'm sure I hit close to 50 if not more.
I got very lucky on my winning go. I stood next to Ornstein and spammed pyromancy until he fell and for some reason Smough didn't bother to attack me the whole time. I could very easily have spent another week on this.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Hi all, completed the dukes archives and got my first lord soul. For the first time in the game I'm completely at a loss as to what I should do now. Anyone got any hints as to where I should go for next?

What lord soul and where do I go to find it (please not blight town!)

I'm a dex build with pyromancy if that makes a difference.

Also how far am I from the end of the game? I am enjoying it but would like to finish before the 12th ideally.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

You are on the second half of the game but I would say you are more of 70% to be more precise,there are 4 Lord souls you have to get the game hints at the locations you have to go on the cutscene where you place the Lordvessel,you can also talk to Frampt(giant snake thing in Firelink)and he will tell you where to go.

PS:You do have to pass through blighttown one more time for one of them though but hey at least you can teleport now =D
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Ah, I forgot about him! Will take the lord soul to him and have a chat.

Don't seem to be able to warp to blight town. Will have to find my way back in again from the back exit. My ps3 hates blight town more than me, it sounded like it was about to die the last time I was in there!
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Frampt didn't really say anything. Remembered I hadn't explored the forest so did that and killed a dog (I can now walk the abyss?) And am now well into the catacombs, does this sound right?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

So without getting too spoilery....
Spoiler: show
There are several directions you can go, and they all are a slightly different challenge depending on build and equipment

You can continue through the catacombs, it's highly advisable to bring a lantern if possible.

You can go down in the lift from fire link, it's advisable to bring a weapon that will kill the ghosts down there. You'll also need that abyss walking ability you just picked up

You can continue down past Queelag, any special requirements are catered for on the way down. Keep going down basically.

As I say, difficulty from here depends on myriad factors, in terms of doing which first I'd go Queelag/catacombs then fire link lift.

I think that's it....for further diversions you could explore the bottom of blighttown swamp for another exit down (optional area) and go back and visit the asylum to pick up an item that will let you explore another optional area.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Asylum revisit and subsequent area should not be missed but totally optional
James

Post by James »

Dark Souls III!

I picked this up via the Japanese Xbox Live store and, thanks to the fact that the "International" version is downloaded on Xbox Ones outside of Japan, I've spent the past week with it.

I'll post no spoilers except to reveal how I'm feeling about it, which is
very, very good!
It's worth noting that, until today, using the above method netted you "only" the unpatched version (1.00). Those in the know are saying 1.00 is equivalent to a slightly easier version of the game, used for preview events last month in order to allow attendees to progress faster in the time they had.

This morning, however, the update to v1.01 was made available. That means that the Xbox One version obtained through the above regional loophole is now the same as the review version, replete with some fixes and increased difficulty. I had been trying to compare early game footage to judge whether v1.01 was indeed harder than v1.00, and I didn't think it was. Having now played version 1.01, I can safely say, without doubt, it is quite a bit harder.

I had put 21hrs into a character in version 1.00, and though I could have carried on with this save and the increased difficulty, such was the change that I decided to restart with a new character. :twisted:
martymcfly3004

Re: RE: Re: Dark Souls I, II and III

Post by martymcfly3004 »

Chopper wrote:So without getting too spoilery....
There are several directions you can go, and they all are a slightly different challenge depending on build and equipment

You can continue through the catacombs, it's highly advisable to bring a lantern if possible.

You can go down in the lift from fire link, it's advisable to bring a weapon that will kill the ghosts down there. You'll also need that abyss walking ability you just picked up

You can continue down past Queelag, any special requirements are catered for on the way down. Keep going down basically.

As I say, difficulty from here depends on myriad factors, in terms of doing which first I'd go Queelag/catacombs then fire link lift.

I think that's it....for further diversions you could explore the bottom of blighttown swamp for another exit down (optional area) and go back and visit the asylum to pick up an item that will let you explore another optional area.
Whoops, ship might have sailed for a lamp. It is dark down here now you mention it. At least I'm roughly on the right track...