PS1 games and exclusives leaving PSN - Grab them while you can!

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Nyx-Fontana

PS1 games and exclusives leaving PSN - Grab them while you can!

Post by Nyx-Fontana »

Hello Everyone, im not sure if this has been posted here before but the PSN Store will be shutting down for the PS3, PSP, and PS-Vita. The PS3 store and PSP stores specifically will be shutting down July 2nd 2021. An article where you can read about it is in this link here

https://gamerant.com/playstation-store- ... CNwwyhp72k

I bring this up because i know a lot of people are Retro game fans, and with the shutdown of this section of the PSN a lot of rare games that you cannot find easily (or at all) anywhere else will be going away. If you have any interest in playing rare PS One games at some point down the road i implore you to grab a few of them while they are available digitally.

I cant speak for the UK version of the PSN store but here in the american variant a lot of these games are in the 5 - 10 dollar range on the store right now, whereas physical versions may be upwards of 80 dollars or more

Some of them are
-The Legend of Dragoon
-Vagrant Story
-Mega Man Legends
-Mega Man Legends 2
-The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
-Strider 2
-Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness
-Destrega
-Chrono Cross
-Silent Hill
-Vanguard Bandits
-Parasite Eve II
-Suikoden II
-Xenogears
-Bloody Roar
-Bloody Roar 2
-Front Mission 3
-Wild Arms
-Wild Arms 2

For PS3 games
-Street Fighter 3rd Strike: Online Edition
-Darkstalkers Resurrection

Again id encourage you to take a look through the store to see if there's anything you've ever wanted to play. Hope this reaches you guys.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Rare PS One Games Leaving PSN - Grab them while you can!

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thanks for the heads-up in case people have missed it when discussed elsewhere.

I have a few recommendations myself which I'll add below soon.
duskvstweak

Re: PS1 games and exclusives leaving PSN - Grab them while you can!

Post by duskvstweak »

I just grabbed Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms 1, Parasite Eve and Mark of Kri a few days ago. I was holding back on same games that I can easily get physically, are on the PS4/5 or will probably come to the PC, but even with that, I'm itching to go back to make sure I grab these games while I can...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The PSP versions of Street Fighter Alpha 3 and MGS: Peacewalker are worth picking up.

Peacewalker in particular is much better on Vita than it was on PSP since you can use the right stick for the camera.

Also, if you have any access to the Japanese store, the PS1 game Silent Bomber (the only place this is now available).
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Great thread!

Sadly the UK store is a bit anaemic compared to the US one (over 100 less games!) and a number of the titles listed by Nyx aren't available here. No Mega Man Legends games, no Tron Bonne, no Bloody Roar....the list goes on!

While there are exceptions, there also seems to be a rule that if it didn't release in Europe at the time a game won't be on the European digital stores either (e.g. no Xenogears and Chrono Cross!). It seems there is only one European store catalogue to cover to whole region rather than it being country by country, so if there's no translation available for non-english speaking countries then the UK misses out by association despite there being an English US version they could put up.

[Side note - I never realised until I started collecting some physical PS1 games last year that there are actually a huge number of high profile PS1 games, particularly JRPGs, that never released here. Europe got properly stiffed back then!]

Anyway, I was going to recommend Klonoa and Tomba 1 & 2, but it seems they've already started pulling titles down on the PAL store and they're no longer available. For a full list of what's available (and sadly what's already been yanked!), you can go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... AL_region)
Nyx-Fontana

Post by Nyx-Fontana »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 13th, 2021, 10:13 am Great thread!

Sadly the UK store is a bit anaemic compared to the US one (over 100 less games!) and a number of the titles listed by Nyx aren't available here. No Mega Man Legends games, no Tron Bonne, no Bloody Roar....the list goes on!

While there are exceptions, there also seems to be a rule that if it didn't release in Europe at the time a game won't be on the European digital stores either (e.g. no Xenogears and Chrono Cross!). It seems there is only one European store catalogue to cover to whole region rather than it being country by country, so if there's no translation available for non-english speaking countries then the UK misses out by association despite there being an English US version they could put up.

[Side note - I never realised until I started collecting some physical PS1 games last year that there are actually a huge number of high profile PS1 games, particularly JRPGs, that never released here. Europe got properly stiffed back then!]

Anyway, I was going to recommend Klonoa and Tomba 1 & 2, but it seems they've already started pulling titles down on the PAL store and they're no longer available. For a full list of what's available (and sadly what's already been yanked!), you can go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... AL_region)
Ugh that really sucks, Sinclair. Sony definitely did the UK dirty from the sounds of it. Thank you for linking the PAL PS one catalogue, with any luck there are still some things people can grab. Also does what you stated also apply to PS3 games as well?
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Maybe a dumb question, but is the only way to access these through the original consoles now? I can’t see any reference to these either through menus or search on the (absolutely dreadful!) current web version of the PlayStation Store.

My PSP no longer communicates with any modern router and my PS3 has recently lost Wi-Fi - I had it connected via Ethernet last weekend but it’s a right pain involving wires stretched across the kitchen to do that! I did have a PS TV for Vita games but it was kicking around a drawer full of leads for years so I sold it for a surprising amount on eBay just last week!

I did pick up Super Hang On and Daytona USA for literal pennies on PS3 last year so definitely worth investing while it’s still there!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes I believe they took down the legacy web store last week.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Yep, the site is down now. You have to do it all via console now or no dice.
I was annoyed to find that out the hard way, because that means my wishlist was gone!
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: April 14th, 2021, 12:26 pm Yes I believe they took down the legacy web store last week.
The old store actually got pulled last October I think ahead of the PS5 launch, so you've only been able purchase games directly on the systems themselves for a while now. This has been a particular pain on Vita as that store is bloomin' awful!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ratsoalbion wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm It was available until late March:
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/03 ... d_ps_store
Absolutely gutted! I had no idea you could access it through a back door hyperlink!

It was supposed to be officially closed last year so I didn’t even look for a way around it:(
Sinclair Gregstrum

Simonsloth wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:41 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: April 15th, 2021, 2:36 pm It was available until late March:
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/03 ... d_ps_store
Absolutely gutted! I had no idea you could access it through a back door hyperlink!

It was supposed to be officially closed last year so I didn’t even look for a way around it:(
Balls! Same! I just took all the news stories (and Sony's press release!) at their word that last year was the end of it, and didn't even think of looking for another way in!

On the flip side, it pushed me into picking up a load of stuff off my wishlist just before it went offline (or was supposed to!), much of which has been yanked from the store since. So maybe if I'd known about the sneaky way in and waited, I would have lost out.

Every cloud...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Yeah my disappointment is mainly in missing out on some of the digital PS1 games. I have a large number of them physically but there’s a couple worth so much physically I was going to sell and buy digitally.

Seems so weird that just disappear and they don’t transfer them to ps now or a different service.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

You can get some amazing games on different regional stores too, FYI. Like you can get Einhander - which doesn't really have much English to begin with, I mean, all the bosses speak German - on the Japanese PSN store... for decidedly less than $150.

It's one of my Top 10 Games, period. And my favourite SHMUP. Even Leon thinks it's cool.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 16th, 2021, 12:20 am You can get some amazing games on different regional stores too, FYI. Like you can get Einhander - which doesn't really have much English to begin with, I mean, all the bosses speak German - on the Japanese PSN store... for decidedly less than $150.

It's one of my Top 10 Games, period. And my favourite SHMUP. Even Leon thinks it's cool.
I've looked into this before and apparently the only way you can access different region stores on Vita is to either accept the fact that every time you want to switch your region profile you have to wipe your memory card, or you need a different card for each region you want to access.

Definitely not going down the wiping route, and I only have one 16gb Vita card at the moment and not massively keen to pick up a second just for a few extra games from other regions (although I am very tempted!).
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Crisis averted:
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 ... perations/

The PSP store is still going away, but they're keeping the PS3 and Vita stores online.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: April 19th, 2021, 9:19 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: April 16th, 2021, 12:20 am You can get some amazing games on different regional stores too, FYI. Like you can get Einhander - which doesn't really have much English to begin with, I mean, all the bosses speak German - on the Japanese PSN store... for decidedly less than $150.

I've looked into this before and apparently the only way you can access different region stores on Vita is to either accept the fact that every time you want to switch your region profile you have to wipe your memory card, or you need a different card for each region you want to access.

Definitely not going down the wiping route, and I only have one 16gb Vita card at the moment and not massively keen to pick up a second just for a few extra games from other regions (although I am very tempted!).
*cough*Hack your Vita*cough*
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

JadePhoenix wrote: April 19th, 2021, 6:48 pm Crisis averted:
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 ... perations/

The PSP store is still going away, but they're keeping the PS3 and Vita stores online.
Came to post the same thing. Nice to see, though they got a few panicky dollars out of me with this!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good news indeed.