Returnal

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Marlew

Returnal

Post by Marlew »

I've never really clicked with any Housemarque games besides a bit of Super Stardust, I don't exactly know why, so I wasn't especially interested in Returnal. I'd hardly seen anything beyond the initial reveal, but I don't feel I have the stomach or time for roguelikes any more. I can't remember enjoying any third-person shooters, either. Just not my genre, really. In fact, I only got this because I'd had a couple of beers last night, and I saw a couple of glowing comments on Twitter.

Thanks, midnight me, because it turns out it's rather special...

First of all, it looks absolutely stunning. From the little bits of footage I'd seen, I thought it may be a bit samey and too dark, but in motion, in your hands, there's an ineffable, austere beauty here. I don't really like horror games (because I'm a coward) but this is so atmospheric I can't resist. It's definitely got that Bloodborne thing where it gets under your skin and you start to sink deeper and deeper. A powerful sense of dread, in the words of Super Hans. It runs like greased lightning, as well, and that's where you feel the Housemarque lineage most evocatively. It's extremely snappy, tight and punchy and it's in this mechanical robustness that the game really excels.

The movement and gunplay are exceptional, and I would say the real strength of the game. The haptics and the use of the pad are probably even better than Demon's Souls. If you hold the left trigger halfway until there's a firm resistance, you get an ADS style lock-on. Push it right down, and it sets your alt shot. It sounds a bit fiddly but in your hands, it's quite revolutionary, to be honest. I found Astro Bot novel and amusing but frivolous. It's subtle, but I feel like this genuinely changes the parameters in terms of mechanical input.

Beyond that, most of the roguelike tropes are here. Structurally, there have been some neat surprises but it's your usual risk/reward stuff, damage modifiers and various unlockables. That side of it doesn't excite me at all, there's nothing like Isaac where you feel you're breaking the game or creating a completely unpredictable build. The meat is in the combat, exploration and gnawing atmosphere. If you have a PS5 and you have an appetite for challenging games, I think this is essential. I've only got to the first boss once and it was the undoubted highlight of what I've played so far in one day. I can't wait to get back there.

Anyone else given it a go? I should also say that I got it on my US account for £50, so I'd recommend that.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Returnal

Post by ratsoalbion »

A few of us have it, Karl, Darren, James, Brian and myself. You can hear my early thoughts on the upcoming Patreon show, but I'll try to pop some down in here too when I can.

Overall, I am definitely a fan so far.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Nice one. I'll look forward to giving that a listen, but if you have chance would be good to read here, too. Early doors, I'm a big big fan of the shotgun. Have you taken down the first boss yet? I was motoring but bottled it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Got to the last health bar last night, but not taken him just yet.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Game looks really fun and interesting. You have to give it to Housemarque. A priority buy for when I get a PS5!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Never played a Housemarque game and Rogue (lite or like) games I don't usually like but after a win on the football decided to buy it thinking I would trade it in if it was no good, I wanted something new for my PS5.

Once the reviews dropped I was more hesitant as it mentioned the souls games as a reference and that might as well say ''You'll hate this game''.

I'm now 13 hours and 30 deaths in and it is absolutely incredible. I've reached the second boss now and got him down to the last 10% but can't get over the line. I've probably made this worse for myself by not playing it since Village came out.

Why I like it as opposed to Souls etc is I feel a sense of progression each time I die or the fact it was my fault not that I didn't know what I was doing.

The biggest praise I have for it is that it reminds me of Metroid Prime so much (Leon summed it up in the Patreon show perfectly). I can't wait to throw myself back into it once I've helped Ethan Winters get to safety :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it as much as I am.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

After smacking my head against a wall with the second boss I finally beat him today.

Ironically it was a run where I died early on then using the astronaut I picked up so debated even restarting, pressed on, and with the help of a handy parasite that regenerated integrity slowly at low health took him down.

I've had various things happen for the first time since the latest update
Spoiler: show
Finding the bodies of different peoples runs so I can avenge them
has meant having more ether to play with.

I thought a week off it when I caned Village when it came out may have put me off it but I am firmly back in.

I lasted about 2 minutes in the 3rd biome before a giant robot smacked me down immediately.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

I luckily got a PS5 last week (woohoo!) bundled with Returnal. Really loving the gameplay and the feel the controller gives, that alt-fire trigger pull is very satisfying. Took me 20 deaths before beating the first boss but then funnily enough got the second boss on that same run (had a build with that integrity regen % x adrenaline level which kept me alive in the second biome).

Question for the community, once you are past the first biome are you running through it again for upgrades or just going straight to whatever biome you are working on? I guess I'll give it a few goes trying to get straight to the 3rd boss and if I'm struggling run through the first biome to upgrade some integrity and artifacts. It has been satisfying going back through it and using the grappling hook. Also found a few more scout logs and a house scene by going back. But it does take about 45 min to run it which seems like a large time investment to get the upgrades...especially if you die quickly in the third biome.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I was running back through because it's almost essential to get enough integrity and upgrades from the shop. My main issue with the game was the length of each run albeit you also know after Biome 1 whether you're going to have a good enough foundation to make it through. Quite a lot of abandoned runs after twenty minutes which began to grate.

I think it's fantastic in many ways but I would have definitely preferred a Souls type structure. As a roguelite, it's very predictable and narrow. I see how it works thematically but the builds are all too similar, to my taste.
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

Took down the third boss, and I agree, it required running through the first and second biome to upgrade integrity and other artifacts. Also making sure I had a level 10 weapon to start the third biome was key. If you go straight there you get that level 9 proficiency boost but it can take a while to actually find a weapon, let alone one you click with. I was usually dying before I ever found one.

There have been some real highs but also lows where I didn't want to keep going, so Selene and I are simpatico there. I am getting that same rush the From Software games give except the structure is different. Instead of spending three hours repeating the same fight with a boss over and over, I'm grinding for three hours through the levels, usually dying when I get overwhelmed with too many enemies that I can't track positions of. Either way, both end with my Bloodsport like clenched fists in the air, silently screaming in exaltation as my wife and child sleep upstairs.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've tapped out at 40 hours played.

I've had my fun with it but it has just tipped into me getting annoyed due to lack of progress, I made it to the third biome and tended to do fine until about 10 minutes into that. Tried running both 1 and 2 before entering 3 but still no use.

Great game it's 100% me not you Returnal.