E3 2021 - Schedule and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Re: E3 2021 - Schedule and discussion thread

Post by dezm0nd »

Nintendo, for me, knocked it out the park.

Monkey Ball remake (been after this since the Wii came out)
Metroid Dread! After 15 years! It's finally a real game!
WarioWare Get It Together. Who doesn't like a WW game?
Advance Wars remake, it's like fire emblem without the drama. and its got tanks.
BotW2 looks like more than just a reskinned first game with the cloud area looking eerily similar to Skyward Sword.
Mario Party Superstars - Good to see the classics getting remade.

There was more in there to gawk at but most of it glossed over me whenever I saw one of those my brain froze for a moment.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

For my own gaming tastes, this has been a brilliant E3, the best in years. I thought MS and Nintendo knocked it out the park with what they showed me. My highlights of the show were Mario & Rabbids 2, BOTW2, Metroid Dread, Forza Horizon 5, Guardians of the Galaxy and there were too many indies to mention. I even liked the look of Halo Infinite.

I remember in previous years there were complaints of too many CGI trailers, but I think this year there has been a good balance between both. I think we will always have CGI trailers but this year it seemed as if there was more of a balance.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I was a little deflated at the time with Nintendo's conference (some supreme Zelda trolling going on right from the start) but the more I think about it the more I like it. I'd post a list of what I liked about it but it's basically a 1:1 match with Dez's above. Really glad the remakes (Advance Wars and Monkey Ball) are based on the best in their respective series (imo).

A bit gutted that WarioWare seems to be 2 player only - the 4 player modes in the Gamecube version were stellar and I loved playing them with friends (and drinks).
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I see a lot of "E3 sucked" online and about, and it's amazing how so many people have seemed to move on and forget that we were and still are in a pandemic that has caused a work force to delay so much. The fact that not everything is delayed until at least 2022 should feel like a blessing, IMO.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm satisfied with this years showing and if it was this way every year I'd be ok
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: June 16th, 2021, 3:57 pm I see a lot of "E3 sucked" online and about, and it's amazing how so many people have seemed to move on and forget that we were and still are in a pandemic that has caused a work force to delay so much. The fact that not everything is delayed until at least 2022 should feel like a blessing, IMO.
I don't know, I mean I thought the Xbox and Nintendo shows were OK, but other than that pretty disappointing. However, I also acknowledge the reasons for this, and I've seen a few comments of a similar nature. I think its OK to say E3 was a disappointment as a fan, whilst still appreciating that everyone has done their best given the circumstances.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

raisinbman wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:01 am i dunno, the only thing i could even be remotely excited for was the advanced wars? and it's just a remake? In a style that doesn't match the originals? Glad indies exist to make what Nintendo won't, I'll tell ya hwat...
Advance Wars - never played them, wasn't a big GBA collector. Happy to have a chance to play them now.

Cruisin Blast - the Switch is seriously lacking racing games and most racing games now are heading in the vein of
Forza, so getting an arcade racer is a godsend nowadays on any system.

Fatal Frame - was digital only in NA, so I didn't buy it. This is multiplatform anyway, so I'll buy whichever version gets a physical release.

SMT V - I am a hardcore fan of this series and have been an Atlus fan since 2000 and Persona 2. I have been waiting 8 years for this bloody time and it's about time.

Super Monkey Ball - I own both of these games, but they're at my parents. I'll likely be overseas by the time this comes out, so this is a good way to be able to play them without having to take my Gamecube with me.

Wario Ware - I love this series and own every iteration.

I'm not saying you're "wrong", just that Nintendo offered a lot this year that made me interested. Far more than anyone else at least. I'm weird in that I like Nintendo systems, but tend to buy far more of the third party offerings than I do the first party Nintendo stuff. I don't give a damn about Zelda or Metroid, so I was happy with their presentation.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 16th, 2021, 9:05 pm
raisinbman wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:01 am i dunno, the only thing i could even be remotely excited for was the advanced wars? and it's just a remake? In a style that doesn't match the originals? Glad indies exist to make what Nintendo won't, I'll tell ya hwat...
Advance Wars - never played them, wasn't a big GBA collector. Happy to have a chance to play them now.

Cruisin Blast - the Switch is seriously lacking racing games and most racing games now are heading in the vein of
Forza, so getting an arcade racer is a godsend nowadays on any system.

Fatal Frame - was digital only in NA, so I didn't buy it. This is multiplatform anyway, so I'll buy whichever version gets a physical release.

SMT V - I am a hardcore fan of this series and have been an Atlus fan since 2000 and Persona 2. I have been waiting 8 years for this bloody time and it's about time.

Super Monkey Ball - I own both of these games, but they're at my parents. I'll likely be overseas by the time this comes out, so this is a good way to be able to play them without having to take my Gamecube with me.

Wario Ware - I love this series and own every iteration.

I'm not saying you're "wrong", just that Nintendo offered a lot this year that made me interested. Far more than anyone else at least. I'm weird in that I like Nintendo systems, but tend to buy far more of the third party offerings than I do the first party Nintendo stuff. I don't give a damn about Zelda or Metroid, so I was happy with their presentation.
oh no, i cushioned my own views in the fact that I wasn't expecting much. I'm only looking for a very very small slice of gaming. I know the KF crew(and it sounds like you too) will be happy with these announcements, especially from the nintendo side. But I will say there's a couple indie games you should check out if you're into advanced wars(wargroove, i think there's another one i heard on a podcast called metal wars or something? never heard of it before but they brought it up). I am looking forward to smt though
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Marlew wrote: June 16th, 2021, 4:00 am I would say that the first nine months of the PS5 are up there with the best launch periods I've experienced, and a hell of an improvement on the PS3 or PS4, never mind the last couple of Xboxes.

Demon's Souls
Miles Morales
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank
WRC9
Astrobot

Even disregarding Astro as a tech demo and WRC9 as a pretty niche driving game (a brilliant one), you're looking at four fucking great games there.

Plus:
FF7R Intergrade
TLOU2 upgrade
Ghost of Tsushima upgrade
Spider-Man Remastered
Days Gone upgrade
God of War upgrade

A few of those games I found plodding on the PS4 but running at 60fps, they're a different proposition for me. And while I thought they looked fantastic before, FF7R and TLOU2 are absolutely stunning on the PS5.

There's also some more cross-gen stuff which may have been highlights of previous launch windows, albeit not my thing:

AC Valhalla
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Hitman 3
Control Ultimate Edition
So if you almost exclusively play quasi-open world third person action games you're all set, is what you're saying. :lol:

I know thats what a lot of people like, and fair play to them, but all the big hyped games shown at e3 just look a little bit samey from where I'm sitting. It makes me appreciate the Nintendo Direct a lot more as they really emphasised variety and having 'something for everyone'.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

KissMammal wrote: June 16th, 2021, 11:41 pm So if you almost exclusively play quasi-open world third person action games you're all set, is what you're saying. :lol:

I know thats what a lot of people like, and fair play to them, but all the big hyped games shown at e3 just look a little bit samey from where I'm sitting. It makes me appreciate the Nintendo Direct a lot more as they really emphasised variety and having 'something for everyone'.
Hehe. A fair observation, albeit only a handful of those PS5 games appeal to me, as I say. I was addressing the 'soft launch' idea which may be accurate in that they can't get the hardware out fast enough. From a software perspective, they're way ahead of the PS4's first year.

For me, the highlight of E3 was Mushihimesama and the other Cave games coming to Switch out of absolutely nowhere. Then, Elden Ring, then BOTW2, then FH5. Other than that, some decent looking stuff but nothing I can really say I'll definitely buy.

I commend Nintendo's approach because it looks like they're bringing some fan favourites back but I have no great excitement for them. I've realised in recent years that while I think I love Nintendo, it's more about the spirit and approach than the majority of the games. My tastes are very headline - Zelda and Mario. When people call for Wave Race, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Starfox, etc. I have only thin residual affection at best. Looking back over the Switch lifespan, my favourite Nintendo releases by a mile were BotW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and ARMS. I also caned FE3H but it's my one and only flirtation with that genre.

I've bought everything else but finished almost none. LM3, SSBU, Captain Toad, Kirby, Pokemon, Yoshi, Rabbids, Tennis, SMM2, Xenoblade, I can't remember whatever else. Started them and tuned out. I agree that their conference had the most diversity, I just find those games look appealing for a few minutes then lack the pull to draw me in.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

raisinbman wrote: June 16th, 2021, 10:23 pm But I will say there's a couple indie games you should check out if you're into advanced wars(wargroove, i think there's another one i heard on a podcast called metal wars or something? never heard of it before but they brought it up). I am looking forward to smt though
I don't buy digital so indie games are usually out for me, but thanks for the recommendation.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Wargroove has a physical edition