E3 2021 - Schedule and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Truk_Kurt

Re: E3 2021 - Schedule and discussion thread

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Thanks dezm0nd
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pleased and fairly surprised that all the events seem to be at a reasonable UK time - don't we usually end up with most of them in the middle of the night? Shame Sony and EA have both stepped away from the main event, I do miss the golden age about 5 or 6 years ago where everyone was putting on these over the top presentations full of surprises. Seems most stuff leaks early these days and spoils it a bit.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I'm most looking forward to some Sony/PS5 news tbh so hoping that they put on some separate event over the summer. Nothing I'm currently looking forward to on any system besides FF7R Intergrade in a week or so.

Lot of murmurs around a new Switch but also lots of tempering that it's far from a 'Pro' and more of a slightly improved revision to the basic model. I would be pretty disappointed if it's just OLED screen and better battery because I never play it handheld. I'd really like 60fps and 1080p across the board and I'd go back to the likes of Link's Awakening and Calamity Warriors.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Well, SummerGamesFest Kickoff wasnt bad and ending on a blinder. Elden Ring looks incredible
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Elden Ring does indeed look amazing. It seems like From might somehow be able to maintain the thick atmosphere they have in their games in a huge open world which is no mean feat. The creature designs are amazing as per, and I really enjoy the colour palette. A bit like Dark Souls 3 but less desaturated, more vibrant.

Definitely something to look forward to there.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just caught up on the Summer Game Fest from last night. Highlights for me were Salt & Sacrifice and Elden Ring, which looks fantastic. Still not entirely sure what they mean by saying its open world though - DS 1,2 and 3 and Bloodborne were all open world as well...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

This is a semantic issue as much as anything, but while those games have large, interconnected areas you are always funneled down specific paths, and as such are not really truly open world by the common definition, in the way that Witcher III, Breath of the Wild or Ghost of Tsushima are where you can freely plot your own route around the majority of the map.

It seems as though with Elden Ring they are going for something more akin to those in terms of locomotive freedom and scope.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You're right of course, I was being fairly facetious :lol: I'm expecting there may be quests/side quests etc too, the likes of which we've not seen previously (or at least, not as explicitly) in From games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Phew, I ended up bailing on the Koch presentation halfway through, what an absolute snoozefest, even with the TCGS lads doing their best to keep things lively.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Well, I'm already looking forward to Planet of Lana. I love me some Limbo/Inside side-scrolling. And look, it's in the daylight! It's looks very pretty.

My age feels like its showing anytime I see the phrase "a new battle royale" on these announcements. My eyes just glaze over and I scroll past as fast as I can.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I thought Ubisoft's conference was OK, but nothing that really excited me, but found the Devolver one quite entertaining and a couple of games there that look good. Shame that Demon Throttle is physical only as I though that looked interesting, but you know it'll be scalped to shit.

EDIT: Just watched the Gearbox show too. E3 seems a bit of a wet blanket this year, and understandably so after the last 12 months, but as a consumer I've not seen anything that really excites me at all yet. I do wonder if another year off might have been the best call?
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I always find the in-between stuff pretty crap. It's all about Nintendo for me, and hopefully MS/Bethesda will give me a few reasons to buy an Xbox.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I really like the look of the new Halo multiplayer stuff :U
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Xbox showcase wasnt as strong as I'd like but it seems like they're finally starting to put dates on things where there wasnt before.

I suspect theres more to come from MS and they didnt put all their eggs into the e3 basket.

The highlights for me were the Sea of Theives x Pirates of the Caribbean update, Atomic Heart and Horizon 5 (which is getting sillier by the game, a plus for me)

Good to see psychonauts 2 date but they didnt really put all the naysayers to bed with a halo campaign demo. I guess they didnt want to deal with it again just incase...!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I thought this was Xbox's best showcase in years, there was a lot I was interested in such as Stalker 2, the snowboarding game, Halo and Forza. It's quite incredible how many games they have coming to Game Pass.
My highlight of the show so far though is Mario & Rabbids. The first game was my favourite Switch exclusive so I can't wait. I also liked the look of Guardians.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Really impressed with the Xbox showcase, especially as a Gamepass subscriber - the amount of games coming out I want to play (a lot of them this year) is excellent.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Alex79uk wrote: June 11th, 2021, 5:59 pm Just caught up on the Summer Game Fest from last night. Highlights for me were Salt & Sacrifice and Elden Ring, which looks fantastic. Still not entirely sure what they mean by saying its open world though - DS 1,2 and 3 and Bloodborne were all open world as well...
https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring ... -of-gaming
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

The Xbox showcase was good! I thought most/all the games looked interesting and as a Gamepass subscriber, no reason not to try them out! I definitely wasn’t expecting FS to be just over a month away, I’m really looking forward to that and Forza especially!

Just looking forward to Nintendo now!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 14th, 2021, 3:25 pm
Alex79uk wrote: June 11th, 2021, 5:59 pm Just caught up on the Summer Game Fest from last night. Highlights for me were Salt & Sacrifice and Elden Ring, which looks fantastic. Still not entirely sure what they mean by saying its open world though - DS 1,2 and 3 and Bloodborne were all open world as well...
https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring ... -of-gaming
Thanks - it's certainly sounding good.

My new game of E3 though is the boxing one, it's looking great! Glad someone has picked up the sport after EA took a big shit on it after Fight Night Champion.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

E3 has been rubbish this year.