E3 2021 - Schedule and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Rhaegyr

Re: E3 2021 - Schedule and discussion thread

Post by Rhaegyr »

A few articles this morning about Everwild being reportedly rebooted with Gregg Mayles now at the helm (yay) and a date of 2024 being touted (boo).

https://www.ign.com/articles/everwild-c ... ot-e3-2021
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

It confuses me why they showed it so early.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Congrats on another Smash character!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Should I have been expecting Metroid 5? Because I was not. I'm pretty darn excited for that!
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

duskvstweak wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm Should I have been expecting Metroid 5? Because I was not. I'm pretty darn excited for that!
I've been waiting for it for damn near 20 years, I'd pretty much given up expecting it at this point.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No, don't think it's ever been mentioned before. Can't believe they're still opening shows with Smash, but not a bad presentation so far (I've just reached SMT).
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Monkey Ball Collection, New Wario Ware, Fatal Frame (FINALLY), Advance Wars and SMT V.

Nintendo are the saviours of E3.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I distinctly remember thinking after playing the Metroid 2 remake that if MercurySteam weren't already working on Metroid 5, they needed to get on it ASAP. Apparently somebody was listening.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fairly strong showing from Nintendo there I thought. Quite a bit we didn't know about. Still, this is the intetnet so I'll also tell you my moans - nothing new on the Switch Online service, why still no GBA games? Or anything?
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

Alex79uk wrote: June 15th, 2021, 6:01 pm why still no GBA games?
Because then they couldn't charge us for stuff like the Advance Wars remake (Which looks awesome, and I'm definitely going to buy it, but still...)
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Not bad, but nothing especially mindblowing either. Was hoping for another 'big' first party title announcement (like the rumoured new Donkey Kong game).

Metroid 5, Warioware and Advance Wars were the only things that appealed to me, but they were all nice surprises.

I do like the way Nintendo tend to just focus on stuff coming out within the next six months these days, and are usually able to announce stuff with a concrete release date vs announcing stuff we could be waiting years for.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Three classic Cave shmups also being ported (as announced on the Japanese stream).

Mushihimesama available NOW.

Espgaluda 2 in the summer (only previously released in the arcade and on 360, I think).

Dodonpachi Resurrection in the winter.

These are megatons for shmup fans.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Indeed!
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Mushi runs great, for info. Feels spot on, very responsive.

No lag issues here.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Having never played Monkey Ball, I'm excited for that remake.
And that Mario Party All-Stars seems nostalgically fun.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:32 pm E3 has been rubbish this year.
agreed. I knew nintendo wasn't giving me anythig, but still. I won't say too much b/c i know y'all around here are reasonable but there are nintendo fans lol.

And as I thought, no fighting game news. Kazuya in smash, only reason I'm happy is so bamco gets more $
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

raisinbman wrote: June 15th, 2021, 10:33 pm agreed. I knew nintendo wasn't giving me anythig, but still. I won't say too much b/c i know y'all around here are reasonable but there are nintendo fans lol.

And as I thought, no fighting game news. Kazuya in smash, only reason I'm happy is so bamco gets more $
Nintendo was the only one that came through and delivered any games at all.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

I've got to say, I'm really not seeing anything in the AAA space that's making me even consider investing in a PS5 or an X Box 1x? Series X? The fact that I don't even know for certain what the new Microsoft console is called is probably an indication of how out of the loop I am with gaming outside of Nintendo, retro and indie games.

That Sable game looks lovely, but I don't really know anything about it outside of the visuals.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 15th, 2021, 10:56 pm
raisinbman wrote: June 15th, 2021, 10:33 pm agreed. I knew nintendo wasn't giving me anythig, but still. I won't say too much b/c i know y'all around here are reasonable but there are nintendo fans lol.

Nintendo was the only one that came through and delivered any games at all.
i dunno, the only thing i could even be remotely excited for was the advanced wars? and it's just a remake? In a style that doesn't match the originals? Glad indies exist to make what Nintendo won't, I'll tell ya hwat...

a new metroid probably wasn't on anyone's bingo boards, I'll say.
KissMammal wrote: June 15th, 2021, 11:23 pm I've got to say, I'm really not seeing anything in the AAA space that's making me even consider investing in a PS5 or an X Box 1x? Series X? The fact that I don't even know for certain what the new Microsoft console is called is probably an indication of how out of the loop I am with gaming outside of Nintendo, retro and indie games.

That Sable game looks lovely, but I don't really know anything about it outside of the visuals.
it's clearly a soft launch, and considering scalpers/supply/chip manufacturing, no sane game dev is going to be making next-gen only games(especially when the switch is a a thing). Sony's even said to expect cross generation games for the next 2 years. Lucky for you, xbox doesn't care about you purchasing the console as much a s subscribing to gamepass if you ever feel inclined to dip your toes in.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I would say that the first nine months of the PS5 are up there with the best launch periods I've experienced, and a hell of an improvement on the PS3 or PS4, never mind the last couple of Xboxes.

Demon's Souls
Miles Morales
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank
WRC9
Astrobot

Even disregarding Astro as a tech demo and WRC9 as a pretty niche driving game (a brilliant one), you're looking at four fucking great games there.

Plus:
FF7R Intergrade
TLOU2 upgrade
Ghost of Tsushima upgrade
Spider-Man Remastered
Days Gone upgrade
God of War upgrade

A few of those games I found plodding on the PS4 but running at 60fps, they're a different proposition for me. And while I thought they looked fantastic before, FF7R and TLOU2 are absolutely stunning on the PS5.

There's also some more cross-gen stuff which may have been highlights of previous launch windows, albeit not my thing:

AC Valhalla
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Hitman 3
Control Ultimate Edition