Metroid Speedruns

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
OneCreditBen

Metroid Speedruns

Post by OneCreditBen »

Thought I'd make this thread to document my progression through Metroid All Bosses/Deathless, as it's not fair to keep spamming the other thread with it.

The story so far:

55:24 - Kraid first. Few disasters

47:28 - Ridley first. Few less disasters.

43:23 - Didn't record it but first time properly using Livesplit.

40:30 - Ridley first. Different path to the Varia Suit. Different path through Ridley's lair. Few costly mistakes. On Patreon at the moment, I'll post the link when it's on general.

Under 40 min with Varia Suit is my goal, then ditch Varia and see how low into the 30's we can go.

https://www.speedrun.com/metroid_nes#Al ... _Deathless

You can track my progress here where I'm currently in 23rd as the 47 min run got verified. I've submitted the 40:30 run, see when that gets verified.

More to come....
Alex79

Re: Metroid Speedruns

Post by Alex79 »

Pure insanity mate. You going for the record?
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Nah. The category I'm playing (deathless/all bosses) is in 18 minutes and uses loads of door glitches, which I do think are cool but feel a bit game breaky to me.

I want to do sub 40 Varia Suit and then see how low we can go without it. Should be a lot of fun. Glory or insanity awaits...
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Didn't record it but I know it's possible now.

I'll record a sub 40 then we move onwards....
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Going to try and do this live tomorrow night.

All Bosses/Deathless/Sub 40 Minutes.

6PM BST, I'll have a few goes at doing it on a livestream.
JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

OneCreditBen wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:24 pm Nah. The category I'm playing (deathless/all bosses) is in 18 minutes and uses loads of door glitches, which I do think are cool but feel a bit game breaky to me.

I want to do sub 40 Varia Suit and then see how low we can go without it. Should be a lot of fun. Glory or insanity awaits...
Why not All Bosses Classic? It looks like the same thing but without the door glitches.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

JadePhoenix wrote: September 1st, 2021, 4:04 pm
OneCreditBen wrote: August 30th, 2021, 10:24 pm Nah. The category I'm playing (deathless/all bosses) is in 18 minutes and uses loads of door glitches, which I do think are cool but feel a bit game breaky to me.

Why not All Bosses Classic? It looks like the same thing but without the door glitches.
There's only 10 recorded runs on All Bosses Classic and the slowest one is 33m 50 which I'm miles away from yet.

If I can get near that time, then I'll submit a run in that category but I didn't want to jump in at number 11 with a time of like 55 minutes odd when there's still a lot of work to be done.

I thought Deathless/All Bosses was the category with the most room for me to enjoy and progress while I master my craft a bit. If I can get good enough and learn some legit tactics, I'll legitimately make a run at All Bosses Classic.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Personal Best Recorded Time - 40:30

Going to livestream tonight at 6PM BST over on Youtube and try and get Sub 40 Varia Suit.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Had a few decent runs, including my final one in which I got to Motherbrain and ran out of missiles, missing the kill by one shot.

We'll get it next time!
Seph

Post by Seph »

I watched some of the recent stream and it was devasting some of the bad luck you were getting at times. The RNG was really unfair. Sub-40 next time, I'm sure of it!

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not a fan of glitches being part of speedruns. I know a lot of these take skill to perform, but it's basically like using a cheat code.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Seph wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 2:44 pm I watched some of the recent stream and it was devasting some of the bad luck you were getting at times. The RNG was really unfair. Sub-40 next time, I'm sure of it!

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm not a fan of glitches being part of speedruns. I know a lot of these take skill to perform, but it's basically like using a cheat code.
I did have some terrible luck didn't I haha.

I still want to do sub 40 live, that's the whole point. You've got to do it live, it just hits differently somehow.

Also, I've got a video on Patreon at the moment with a new personal best, and it's my fastest time by some considerable distance. It'll go live on Wednesday.

I'm the same with glitches to be honest, I think like something like the Bat Jump in Castlevania is one thing, I like the idea of making a jump using the enemies in the game, or something with a legitimate degree of skill, but glitching into walls does feel a bit Game Genie somehow.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Stitched up on missile RNG in the Ridley run.
ONWARDS!!!
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Bad luck on the Varia suit but a solid time overall.
New Kraid strats and a great ending really helped.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Going for under 40 minutes live.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Live on the stream last night.
We can go quicker with this route, but not much.
I fancy trying sub 36 then move on to a different path.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Top work Ben!
Seph

Post by Seph »

Shaving a quarter of your time off in just over a week is amazing. There's still a few little things that can save time, but a lot of it is RNG. I'm not sure on what the best time is on this type of run without glitches, but I reckon you would push it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Congratulations again Ben. Love that the chat just stopped after the mega first split time, we all tensed up.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

dezm0nd wrote: September 10th, 2021, 11:57 pmTop work Ben!
Thank you so much.
This is only the start.