Code reseller websites?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Code reseller websites?

Post by Alex79 »

Hey, so I'm familiar with CD Keys and G2A I think it is, but are there any other code sites that are legit and people have used? There seem to be dozens of sites these days, but I always worry the ones I've not heard of are scam sites! Thanks :)
dezm0nd

Re: Code reseller websites?

Post by dezm0nd »

It's a bit of a minefield, really. I tend to stick with those you've mentioned but i've had luck with Kinguin before.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cheers Dez :)
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I would take G2A off your list of sellers Alex, speaking to the guy at work who deals with key resellers, they are dodgy with how they sometimes acquire the codes they sell.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Truk_Kurt wrote: September 16th, 2021, 9:56 am I would take G2A off your list of sellers Alex, speaking to the guy at work who deals with key resellers, they are dodgy with how they sometimes acquire the codes they sell.
But the codes work......right.....? I mean I'm just saying....however they might have got them.....?
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Yeah they do
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

There were lots of news stories going around a while back about how keys found on those sites were obtained through shady methods. Like someone buying them in bulk and then doing a charge-back to the publisher, or lying to get free press codes, etc. So that screws the original seller out of the money for the sale, and if you activate a key that you got through that method, it might get revoked after you use if they can detect it as being one that was obtained illicitly. Not every key you get from those sites will be that, but their policies allow it to happen. G2A in particular has been very unapologetic about knowingly letting that stuff happen. Some indie developers even said that pirating their game is better for them since they don't have to take the hit through the charge-back.

I don't think it's necessarily always bad to get anything from these sites though. Not every key is stolen, and it's impossible to tell how whatever key you're buying was obtained. And I think it's a good thing to allow individual people to sell their unused keys they got fairly. I've only ever used a site like that once, and it was for another use that I think is pretty valuable. These sites are also a place to buy delisted games. If there's literally no storefront selling keys for an "obsolete" version of a game, that's the only way to get hold of one.

So my own personal rule is that these places should be avoided most of the time, especially when it comes to buying games from smaller developers who get really hurt by the possibility of bulk charge-back scams. But when it comes to picking up delisted games, they are fine.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I didn't realise it was 'that' kind of dirty tricks to get the codes. I suppose I assumed...well, actually, I don't know what I assumed. But I'm not really in to supporting companies blatantly ripping off game developers.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

PSA: BE CAREFUL! I don't do it too much, but the sites that sell codes on r/gamedeals are all vetted, so I feel fine when using a code from there. here's a list:

2Game Green Man Gaming
AllYouPlay Groupees
Amazon Humble Bundle
Best Buy Indie Gala
Chrono.gg Itch.io
DLGamer Microsoft Store
EpicGamesStore Newegg
Fanatical Nintendo eShop
GameBillet Nuuvem
GamersGate Origin
Gamesload Playstation Store
Gamesplanet Steam
GameStop Uplay
GAME UK Voidu
GOG Win/MacGameStore

https://rgamedeals.net/

Getting a shady code could set you back what you paid, IMO not worth the risk: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comm ... n_for_you/
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

There's a few sites that I know are legit resellers selling legit keys:

- Fanatical (this is the only one you need 75% of the time)
- Green Man Gaming (this should cover the other 25%)
- Opium Pulses
- TripleJump.gg
- Kinguin (ONLY for software like Windows, AutoCAD, etc... It's grey-market bulk keys, i.e., company buys 1000 keys, only uses 630, sells the rest; can't vouch for their games)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I use a bunch of those sites pretty frequently too. Usually Fanatical and Green Man Gaming. I've got a couple things from Itch too, but they have their own launcher and no DRM so it's not like buying a Steam key from a different site, as most others do.

These sites are a different thing to what I was talking about though. They are officially licensed distributors. But places like G2A are more like eBay, where any random person can put up keys they own and sell it through them.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I had a look at that Fanatical but it seems to be PC only. I've only got Xbox/PS4/Switch.

Thanks for the suggestions all :)