Metroid in under 30 minutes

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
OneCreditBen

Metroid in under 30 minutes

Post by OneCreditBen »

I know I've got a separate thread for Metroid Speedruns, but this legitimately might be some of the best gaming I've put to video.

I hadn't played Metroid before I listened to the podcast, and I was interested straight away, in getting an under hour clear.

My first recorded one was about 56 minutes. After that it got a bit more serious, when I downloaded Livesplit and started looking at the best bits of optimization I could come up with for my runs.

Slowly but surely I ditched all the safety items, like the Varia Suit, the Screw Attack and a few extra energy tanks along the way.

The goal was sub 40 then it was sub 36 then it settled on sub 30, but I lost a run at 29 minutes on Mother Brain and I was legitimately gutted, but knew I could push through it.

Today I submit this time, to you good people, and also to speedrun.com, which I'm waiting to get verified.

Metroid - NES - All Bosses/Classic (No Glitches) in 28 minutes and 32 seconds.

The 5th fastest recorded time in that particular category.

It's been emotional, and my adventures with Metroid will stop for a short while, but I'll be back.

I want to do 100% in under an hour. I think we can do it to be honest. It's just like anything else, it just takes time and patience.

Thank you for taking the time my friends, don't ever think you can't beat these games, because you can.

You just need to keep going.
Alex79

Re: Metroid in under 30 minutes

Post by Alex79 »

Nice one, Ben. You're an absolute machine. Although I am thinking about trying to smash RC Grand Prix on the Master System.... Haha.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

We are in the presence of a true legend. Congratulations Ben!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

This is insane. Also Ben I find watching your videos better than actually playing Metroid to be honest.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Thanks so much everyone. I'll be coming back to this again in a few weeks with a new category. Going to take a break from it and play some other stuff, try and get some decent 1CCs.