The Great Big CaR Forum Quiz™ 2021...

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Great Big CaR Forum Quiz™ 2021...

Post by Alex79 »

Right you've got about an hour if you want to put in a late entry for this! Just starting to type up the answers and tot up the scores right now!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: January 8th, 2022, 10:54 pm Any chance of an extension Alex? I haven’t gotten around to this yet
Quick! See above!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

AND HERE ARE THE RESULTS!

But first of all, the answers... (in bold type following the question). Now, I've been ever so slightly lenient whilst marking, for example the answer to question 1 was SCUMM, however I have marked SCUMMVM as correct, and there are another couple of examples that haven't actually affected the overall results.

Round 1: Retro Asylum
1. Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island and Day Of The Tentacle all run on which game engine? SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion)
2. Which twins were responsible for a large portion of Codemasters budget game output in the 1980s? The Oliver Twins
3. Wolf from ITV's Gladiators and 80s model, Maria Whittaker, appeared in promotional material and some box art of which 1988 hack and slash game? Barbarian 2
4. One of the first to feature a day/night cycle, which 1987 game also played an appropriate Warren Zevon song on its title screen? Werewolves Of London
5. What is the name of the mole who starred in several of his own games on 8-bit home computers, one of which found him 'on the run'? Monty Mole
6. Which 1991 game tasked the player with saving hundreds of gliding, digging and climbing rodents? Lemmings
7. What is the name of the futuristic, hyper-violent sport created by the Bitmap Brothers in their 1988 game of the same name? Speedball
8. What is the name of the primary antagonist in 1989's Golden Axe, and it's 1992 sequel? Death Adder
9. What is the name of the YouTube channel, primarily focused on streaming and beating old games, hosted by frequent Cane and Rinse contributor, Ben Cartlidge? One Credit Classics
10. Which 1993 platformer featured the mascot for the fizzy pop, 7up? Cool Spot

Round 2: Games! Games! Games!
1. Adam Capone is the brains behind a parody Twitter account for which games developer? Peter Molyneux
2. What is the name of the development studio responsible for the Batman Arkham games? Rocksteady
3. Which cop returns home to find his wife and child dead in the first of a series of noir-themed 3rd person shooters? Max Payne
4. Razputin, or Raz, is the protagonist in which game series? Psychonauts
5. Which studio, previously responsible for the likes of Heavy Rain and Detroit: Become Human, has recently announced its new game set in the Star Wars universe? Quantic Dream
6. Petty Officer John-117 is better known as which videogame character? Master Chief
7. In Marvel's Avengers, which character was made exclusive to PlayStation consoles? Spider-Man
. Who voices Shaun Hastings in the Assassin's Creed games? Danny Wallace
9. Scottish actor Mark Bonnar, having previously appeared in Line Of Duty and Psychoville, lent his face and voice to which Battlefield game? Battlefield One
10. Jet Set Radio, XIII and Fear Effect are all examples of what type of graphics? Cel-shaded

Round 3: Missing Words (Insert the missing word in to the game title. Note that the number of dashes does not indicate number of letters)
1. Kena: BRIDGE Of Spirits
2. Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KINGDOM
3. Deus Ex: MANKIND Divided
4. WIPEOUT 2097
5. Street Fighter 3: New GENERATION
6. Call Of Duty: WORLD At War
7. Guitar Hero 3: Legends Of ROCK
8. UNIVERSAL Paperclips
9. Zombies Ate My NEIGHBOURS
10. CANNON Fodder

Round 4: Pesky Anagrams (Decode the game titles, ignore all punctuation)
1. A FINE HIT, LION! = Halo Infinite
2. A PUNCHY TOSS = Psychonauts
3. FORMAL MICROLIGHTS OUTFITS = Microsoft Flight Simulator
4. ALERT! RUN! = Returnal
5. MR DOPEY FINDER = My Friend Pedro
6. TOP LOAD, EH? = Deathloop
7. ARMORED TEDDI = Metroid Dread
8. MOTHER ENTERS RUINS = Monster Hunter Rise
9. TIT TASK WOE = It Takes Two
10. FORGET TETCHY TONI = The Forgotten City

Round 5: Screenshots (Click the link below, ten Screenshots to identify)
https://youtu.be/dL1G3tj5E60
1. Halo Reach
2. 12 Minutes
3. The Artful Escape
4. Unpacking
5. Transistor
6. Bayonetta 2 (Not MS Flight Sim!)
7. Lonely Mountains Downhill
8. TLOZ: Breath Of The Wild
9. Hyper Light Drifter
10. Super Mario Odyssey

Round 6: Movies
1. Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves revived two wannabe rock stars in which time-travelling 2020 movie? Bill & Ted Face The Music
2. James Corden voiced which beloved animal character in his own 2018 film and 2021 sequel? Peter Rabbit
3. 'Life's A Happy Song', 'Me Party' and 'Mahna Mahna' feature on the soundtrack to which 2011 movie? The Muppets
4. Which 2019 black comedy thriller played a large part in bringing Korean cinema to mainstream western audiences? Parasite
5. Michael Keaton, George Clooney and Adam West have all played which fictional character on the big screen? Batman

Round 7: Music
1. Which garage/noise rock side project was formed by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis of the Bad Seeds and has, to date, released two self-titled albums? Grinderman
2. Who is the drummer in Dr Teeth & The Electric Mayhem? Animal (from the Muppets)
3. Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse are all said to be members of which unfortunate 'club'? The 27 club
4. Which rapper recently decided he was now going to be known simply as Ye? Kanye West
5. Fired immediately before hitting the big time, Pete Best is probably most famous for being the former drummer in which band? The Beatles

Round 8: Sport
1. Which premier league club are nicknamed The Seagulls? Brighton & Hove Albion
2. Jocky Wilson is a former world champion in which sports? Darts
3. Max Verstappen took the Formula One world championship after a controversial win at which race track? Abu Dhabi, Dubai
4. The Klitschko brothers dominated which sport through the late 90s and 00s. Boxing
5. Which country is set to host the 2024 Olympic Games? France

And finally, I'd unlocked 324 cars in Forza Horizon 5.

SO WHO'S WON, THEN!?

In reverse order, the top three scores are....

3rd place: joint, with 39 points each, it's InsrtCoins and BrianEdwards!

2nd place: with a giant 44 points is... Rhaegyr!

Which means, the winner, in first place with a whopping 47 points... AND STILL FORUM QUIZ CHAMPION...

It's the mighty ColinAlonso! Well done! You get to keep the imaginary crown!

Great effort all, thanks for playing, hope you enjoyed it! See you next year :)
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Thanks again Alex. It was a good bit of fun with many headscratchers. Thanks to everyone else who took part too.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Awesome work Alex. If work hadn’t gotten in the way I’d wager I’d be in the mix for the trophy but I was too late to the party even with you generous extension of the deadline!

Well done Colin!
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Great stuff Alex, thanks for doing this.

Can't believe I missed the 'It Takes Two' anagram - I've only just finished playing the bloody thing!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha, I'm bad at anagrams, I genuinely start trying to work on these in the summer. I try to give a slightest clue to the game in the anagram, don't always manage it, but there is sometimes a faint link between the clue and the answer!
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

This was awesome. Thanks so much for putting it together.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Brilliant, thanks Alex!