Games Completed 2022

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2022

Post by Alex79 »

OneCreditBen wrote: January 13th, 2022, 9:34 pmGhouls N Ghosts - World Rom - Arcade - No Death
Brilliant, as always. Genuine question: do you ever play new games? Honestly not meant in a snarky way or anything like that, just wondered if you ever get time to play modern games, because I can't imagine it after all this time getting clears on old arcade stuff.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Alex79 wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:58 am
OneCreditBen wrote: January 13th, 2022, 9:34 pmGhouls N Ghosts - World Rom - Arcade - No Death
Brilliant, as always. Genuine question: do you ever play new games? Honestly not meant in a snarky way or anything like that, just wondered if you ever get time to play modern games, because I can't imagine it after all this time getting clears on old arcade stuff.
At the moment I don't because I'm in the middle of moving house and I sold my TV, and packaged up my PS4.

I think the last modern game I invested a lot of time into was Monster Hunter, and I really enjoyed it, but I didn't get a lot out of the Iceborne expansion. I mainly use my PS4 for playing old games anyway to be honest with you, on the various collections that are available.

I really enjoyed Monster Hunter, and there was a lot of fun moments playing online multiplayer and with friends, but the rush I get from properly beating an old game is like absolutely nothing else. I really can't describe it.

I like how honest old games are. I like not being spoonfed stuff. I like randomly dying and having to work out how to solve the problems. I like that it's maybe not for everyone, I like when a clear starts coming together and all the stars seem to align.

Maybe some day I'll find a modern game that I'll invest the time into, that I can be as good as I am at Golden Axe or Ghouls N Ghosts, and that'll make me feel like I'm flying but at the moment it really doesn't seem likely.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

Probably the biggest 'all time classic' I never played during my younger years even though I've played most other Castlevania's after this (my first was Dawn of Sorrow); finally got round to playing it on XBLA.

Finished with 189.2% completion with all of the 'regular' castle explored and most of the inverted castle too.

Fantastic game with great art, music, atmosphere, enemy design and progression. I don't really have anything negative to say about it but it's one of those typical cases where I've heard and read so much about it over the years that it could never live up to its reputation (or more accurately, the pedestral I've put it on in my head). It's definitely in the upper echelon of Metroidvanias I've played but if I'm being honest I'd probably put Super Metroid, Monster Boy & the Cursed Kingdom and maybe Hollow Knight above it.

Great game though and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Terminator Resistance(platinum) - PS5.
(Jan) Call of Duty: Cold War - Series X.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 8:24 am JAN - Universal Paperclips (Android)
JAN - Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox)
JAN - Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons (Switch)

I loved this back on PS3 and was quite interested to see whether it still stands up almost ten years later. Happily, it does.

Played through this on Switch in two player with my six year old, and he really enjoyed it. We finished it in two sittings, and it's still just ideas, ideas, ideas. So many fun gameplay mechanics from the goat to the rope swinging to the sawing. I think the ending quite touched my son, he looked upset and went very quiet during the final 15 minutes or so, which I won't spoil here, but suffice to say the story seems to still pack a decent emotional punch.

Really great game, and we are both looking forward to playing It Takes Two together next (we actually bought a second Xbox controller especially so we could play it).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

OneCreditBen wrote: January 14th, 2022, 11:00 amI like how honest old games are. I like not being spoonfed stuff. I like randomly dying and having to work out how to solve the problems. I like that it's maybe not for everyone, I like when a clear starts coming together and all the stars seem to align.

Maybe some day I'll find a modern game that I'll invest the time into, that I can be as good as I am at Golden Axe or Ghouls N Ghosts, and that'll make me feel like I'm flying but at the moment it really doesn't seem likely.
Yeah that makes sense - I guess I was imagining you smashing out a Bayonetta no damage run or a Cuphead no death completion or something equally ridiculous but wondered if you ever got much time to play stuff like that outside of streams and stuff.
Quiet Paul

Post by Quiet Paul »

Jan - universal paperclip (iOS) - seen someone on this forum talking about it and thought I’d try it myself. It’s a good wee game! Strangely addictive.

Jan - Control (Xbox One AND Xbox Series X) - I think the fact I played and completed the whole game twice speaks volumes. Initially on the free Xbox One Gamepass version then pucharasing the XSX 4K version. Cracking game! Plus how it links in with Alan Wake just adds to the enjoyment! Also it counts as two different sets of Achievements (even though they are the same achievements) so that’s a bonus. Just completed Alan Wake remastered (100%) in December so thought I’d check this game out and glad I did! Currently downloading Quantum Break from Gamepass as I was never interested before but now I’m thinking “Why not!”.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

Jan 7th - Little Nightmares 2
Jan 15th - Final Fantasy IX

Finally finished this one after months of playing it on and off. I was gearing up for a drawn out end game after playing X, but it wasn’t too bad. Overall I really enjoyed this game. It has similar downsides to X in terms of random battle spam and fairly small and primitive environments. The weapon and ability system is a bit tedious, repeatedly buying new stuff, equipping every character individually, then grinding battles to learn them. There are some useful toggles in the HD version that help, but I think it’s why I kept dropping off.

Combat is great, similar squad based strategy as X. The ATB system leads to a more chaotic and reactive system than X’s pure turn based combat, although I liked both. I think IX’s could get a bit frustrating if the combat was more punishing, as abilities and the fact it's aimed at a youger audience made it pretty straightforward. Plus I did use a walkthrough to reference what status icons meant etc.

I loved the story, characters and setting. Each character’s personality and personal journey gets time to shine, and fits into the grander narrative of strangers coming together to save the world. I loved how it touches on some darker themes of facing up to death and what it means to be human, finding purpose and a place to call home. It goes to some surprising and bizarre places at times, which seems to be standard for Final Fantasy, but I think it sticks the landing, and creates some touching, charming, funny and sorrowful moments.

I love that they’re able to convey all this with such limited means - simple backdrops, primitive animations, well written text dialogue and creatively choreographed scenes, combined with some properly produced cutscenes for key moments, with the soundtrack as always being the genius that ties it all together. Definitely a new favourite of mine.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (Xbox)

One of my all time favourite series, and 'the greatest space trilogy ever', as far as I'm concerned. I really enjoyed being back in this world, it was like visiting old friends. The characters, the music, the Mako! I was a little surprised how basic the story was compared to my memories, but it's still fantastically voice acted and the whole experience was just brilliant from start to finish. Looking forward to playing the second game once I've done Halo Infinite.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 10 - Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS5)
Jan 16 - Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intermission (PS5)

I finally got around to this, I kept putting it off despite being a big fan of the original.

I quite like the combat. Standard attack on square, a character specific move on triangle, a dodge and a block with attacks building up a special bar to use abilities, magic and items from a menu (with super, super slow-mo when in it) is actually quite a nice system. Add the pressure system and the good emphasis on weaknesses etc and I found it quite engaging.

The game looks great and I really liked how many areas or buildings (Aerith's house, Seventh Heaven, even that tiny item shop in Sector 7) were near identical in looks but then many areas were expanded (all the town areas, Don Corneo's is a bit larger) or they weren't afraid to change things up if it seemed like a good idea (the Shinra building is not that dark in the original).

Sounds good too, not sure how much of the original soundtrack they've left untouched for future games though.

There might be a bit of padding but nothing felt too bad and I finished it in 40 hours doing a lot of the side stuff.

Plot time, so spoilers for this game and the original.
Spoiler: show
I quite liked when they were fleshing out the original plot or making slight alterations to it. Moments like Shinra intentionally destroying the reactors or Barret's crew being a splinter cell of Avalanche are nice little touches. Wedge surviving the sector 7 fall is fine since he just got a camera cut away when the plate was falling. I was fine with the game leaning into the Shinra experiments angle early, among other things.

But oh boy there is a lot to be uneasy about for sequels. I get it, it's not going to be the same as the original but there is no need to make that so literal that we kill beings designed to maintain fate. Also that seems to have changed the past or something, Zack's death is kind of necessary so Cloud is going into Midgar alone, with the sword and adopting some of Zack's history, but now Zack is alive so..... now my head hurts.

Biggs and Jessie had death scenes, leave them dead!

The final boss felt like a shoehorned Sephiroth battle.

Intermission added some nice stuff actually with Yuffie and Wutai working with part of the main Avalanche outfit. Unfortunately I did not care for the new villain and worse still he survived and may return to bore me about darkness.
Finally, I chose the stairs, I wanted to hear all the whining and bitching.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Jon Cheetham wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:09 am 1. Dark Souls Remastered (Switch) - 3rd Jan
2. Pyre (Steam) - 10th Jan
3. Disco Elysium (Switch) - 17th Jan

One of the most singular gaming experiences ever, with absolutely sumptuous writing. The world, the music and characters are all unforgettable, and I'm glad I procrastinated on this until they added all this superb VO.

I think this is the first CRPG style game I've ever actually beaten, I barely play them but this feels like essential playing to anyone.
Spoiler: show
In what other game can your character be experiencing absolutely pitch black heartbreak and sorrow, and you're then presented with the button prompt "Say Nothing. Just stand there like a useless dildo."? It's hilarious, and tragic. Not many games have a writing style and tone this inimitable, if any at all.

Ultimately I am very happy with how things wrapped up for my little disaster cop and the outstanding Lt. Kitsuragi. The way it pulled together all the narrative threads I encountered was majestic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jon Cheetham wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:23 amDisco Elysium (Switch)
Also currently playing and the enjoying this on Switch. I've been playing about 3 hours and still only just examined the hanging body out the back of the cafe, there's just so much to do and see and people to talk to!
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Finish #2 - Grandia.

Have to play this about once a year and it was time. Love the earnestness of this game, its amazing battle system and gorgeous soundtrack.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

I adore Grandia 2 but I've never played the original - definitely worth a punt? What platform did you play it on?
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

its weird, I played the PC port of Grandia 2 when it came out a few years ago and I enjoyed it, but I can tell you very little about it, just forgot most of it.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 1:00 pm
Also currently playing and the enjoying this on Switch. I've been playing about 3 hours and still only just examined the hanging body out the back of the cafe, there's just so much to do and see and people to talk to!
It's a really dense world. And because of the way skills work, with a different build you might learn totally different things about Revachol and the people you encounter. Amazing craft on display, imo.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jon Cheetham wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:07 am
It's a really dense world. And because of the way skills work, with a different build you might learn totally different things about Revachol and the people you encounter. Amazing craft on display, imo.
Yeah I spent ages trying to decide my starting stats, looking online at 'best first play through build' and was quite surprised, and pleased, to find everyone almost universally saying 'just play it, it doesn't matter at all'.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79 wrote: January 19th, 2022, 10:10 am
Jon Cheetham wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:07 am
Yeah I spent ages trying to decide my starting stats, looking online at 'best first play through build' and was quite surprised, and pleased, to find everyone almost universally saying 'just play it, it doesn't matter at all'.
Absolutely. When I played it on laptop I think I went for the brainy cop to try and be a bit Luther and outsmart people but I ended up as Sorry Cop, when I came back to it on Switch I decided to partially base him on the titular detective in the film Jo Pil-ho so a bit more of a bruiser and also extremely corrupt.

Love that this is a game where you can base your build on detectives you've seen in movies and TV and it just works. I think I could have been more of a "Luther with a hangover" character if I hadn't been compelled to apologise to everyone for all the hideous things I kept discovering I'd done.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (Xbox)
JAN - Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox)

Ok, so I've done all the showcase story events, all the stories and mega races as well as every available race in the game. I am going to dip in and out, and I'll definitely be back for the DLC, but as ridiculous as it sounds I almost need to write it down here as a completion to give myself permission to step away from it for a bit.

It's the first Forza Horizon game I've really played, and I've absolutely loved it. Just incredible fun non-stop, whether you're racing S2 supercars or B class hot hatchbacks, it's just endlessly brilliant.

I've tapered down my play time over the last few weeks, where I was initially doing 4 or 5 hours every night at the expense of any other games I'm only really playing a couple of hours a week now, mopping up all the side stuff. Loved every part of this though, even did a lot of online races which I never do in other games. Easy 10/10 for me.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

1. Deaths Door
Not that I have played many Zelda style games but this is the best I have played. It's like a Zelda lite in terms of length as there is only 3 dungeons. I think it actually exceeds Zelda when it comes to combat. Where I think it fell down was that I didn't think the puzzles were very inventive and the lack of a map annoyed me, it just seemed to be a way of extended the length of the game even though I'm sure that wasn't their intention. I understand that exploration plays a bit part, but not to have a map in the hall of doors at least was very annoying given how many doors were in there. Overall though I really enjoyed it. 8/10