Help with PC Game Pass faff

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Help with PC Game Pass faff

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Hi folks,

Can anyone help me with getting PC Game pass to actually install games?

I signed up for three months for a dollar just to try. Glad I only spent a dollar so far as I can't even use this service. Have been trying to get some games to install for three days, all I get is the 0000x1 error code or it gets stuck on 0% Preparing forever. It says I need administrator privileges.

I have tried repairing the Xbox desktop app, resetting it, restarting my laptop several times, removing and reinstalling Game Services, changing the startup preferences of the Xbox services to automatic, checking if my Windows edition is in safe mode, checking my Microsoft store and Xbox account are the same Microsoft account, and clicking through the "fix it now" notification in the app which takes me to a link to download an update... which leads to a 404.

The weird thing is I can download free games from the Store section like Forza Street. I can even download Sea of Thieves, which is a Game Pass game! I can't download Forza 5 or The Gunk, however, which are among the ones I would like to try.

Anyone had this issue before? There's lots of Reddit threads with some of the solutions I tried, there's a long thread on a Microsoft help site that was left unresolved.
Scrustle

Re: Help with PC game pass faff

Post by Scrustle »

That isn't a problem I've had, so I'm not sure I would be able to find a solution you haven't already tried, but I have an idea that might be worth trying. If you go to the settings on the Xbox app (you can find it in the drop-down menu under your profile on the top right), go to General settings, and turn on Offline Permissions, that might help.

I have frequently had issues with Xbox stuff on PC not recognising I own games that I actually do, but I haven't had any trouble since turning that on. Your problem might be something similar.
Jon Cheetham

Re: Help with PC game pass faff

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Scrustle wrote: January 4th, 2022, 12:14 pm That isn't a problem I've had, so I'm not sure I would be able to find a solution you haven't already tried, but I have an idea that might be worth trying. If you go to the settings on the Xbox app (you can find it in the drop-down menu under your profile on the top right), go to General settings, and turn on Offline Permissions, that might help.

I have frequently had issues with Xbox stuff on PC not recognising I own games that I actually do, but I haven't had any trouble since turning that on. Your problem might be something similar.
Thanks man. I did turn those on actually and forgot to mention in my OP.

Also tried installing the Xbox app on my phone to try remote installing, I log in, I can see my account and "library"... I click "install to" and it asks me to buy a subscription, despite my account being subscribed up through April. The whole experience so far has just been fiddly and quite frustrating, and it just goes nowhere whatever I try.