All things Yakuza (Ryū ga Gotoku)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: All things Yakuza (Ryū ga Gotoku)

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Keep playing with fire, "Randy". :P
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm really pleased the remaining Yakuza games are coming to PS4. I just hope the other ones have sold enough in the West to warrant an EU release.

I have to say though, hard as it is to admit, I'm really struggling to get through Kiwami. After Zero, it's just so... boring. It really, really is. It's beyond tedious. Just boring mission after boring mission. It's really difficult to muster up the motivation to see it though.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm I'm really pleased the remaining Yakuza games are coming to PS4. I just hope the other ones have sold enough in the West to warrant an EU release.

I have to say though, hard as it is to admit, I'm really struggling to get through Kiwami. After Zero, it's just so... boring. It really, really is. It's beyond tedious. Just boring mission after boring mission. It's really difficult to muster up the motivation to see it though.
From memory the original yakuza is probably the weakest of the bunch and zero (from what I’ve played) appears to be the strongest so I think you were always going to be disappointed.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

There's a trailer out for the PS4 version of Yakuza 3. Oddly, even though the game and the trailer itself is in 60fps, the actual footage seems to be 30fps. Also it seems this isn't really a remaster, and more simply a port where they altered the frame rate and resolution. Textures look the same, not even improved filtering. Seems like it's being sold as more of a port than a remaster too, judging by that box art at the end. I'm cool with that though. All I really want is a more accessible version of this game that runs better and isn't extremely blurry to look at. Now if only we could actually get a release this side of the pond, or ponds I suppose it should be. It seems unlikely to me, but if it did happen, we would finally get to see the content they cut from the original version.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm I'm really pleased the remaining Yakuza games are coming to PS4. I just hope the other ones have sold enough in the West to warrant an EU release.
If push comes to shove, you can at least import them with the PS4 being region free. One good thing.

I'm just happy that Yakuza 5 is finally getting a physical release.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Looks like we might be getting these PS4 versions after all! With all the content intact!

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/05/29/nag ... t-content/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Very frustrating time on Yakuza Kiwami last night. I got to a part where I'm escaping in a car having to shoot trucks and motorbikes in pursuit, and failed three times. Its really long, and there are no checkpoints. The worst part is that I hadn't saved it a while and there's no auto save, so I anticipate I've lost about 90 minutes of play. In a game which was already becoming a chore to get through that's really disappointing. I need to finish it, because I want to continue with the series but it's made it very hard to want to come back to now.

:(
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Sorry to hear that, mate. It's easy to become accustomed to modern autosave systems and to inadvertently get screwed over when revisiting games that only use manual saves.

If push comes to shove and you can't find the motivation to finish it, you could always watch the rest of the game on YouTube. I honestly don't think you'd be missing out on all that much in the gameplay department.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I know, going to definitely push through though, I hate not finishing games I've bought! I'm glad i played Zero first though, because I think this may have put me off the series!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Interesting to hear this Alex as I am currently playing Zero and at the moment it is going in my top 10 all time list :P

I have cancelled my Shenmue pre order too as I want to jump straight into 1 and then 2.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

DomsBeard wrote: August 6th, 2018, 6:44 am Interesting to hear this Alex as I am currently playing Zero and at the moment it is going in my top 10 all time list :P
Damn! I mean I've played all except 2 and 6 now but Yakuza 0 still only made 33rd in my list. Kiwami was a weak entry to me (better than 3 though). It's probably a bit rougher seeing as its a remake of the PS2 original.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote: August 5th, 2018, 9:51 am Very frustrating time on Yakuza Kiwami last night. I got to a part where I'm escaping in a car having to shoot trucks and motorbikes in pursuit, and failed three times. Its really long, and there are no checkpoints. The worst part is that I hadn't saved it a while and there's no auto save, so I anticipate I've lost about 90 minutes of play. In a game which was already becoming a chore to get through that's really disappointing. I need to finish it, because I want to continue with the series but it's made it very hard to want to come back to now.

:(
I finished that just recently. And I was just as frustrated.

There is a point where the game will ask if you want to reduce the difficulty. Just do it, and move on.

It took me a couple of more tries after that, but it gets significantly easier. Just make sure you hit the missiles any time you see them launched as they take off a ton of life.

It's one of the worst parts of the game.

There are three really crap parts in Kiwami. The first Shimano boss fight, the truck part that you're at and the boss fight that I'm at. I just about hurled my controller across the room tonight. I wanted to finish this by the time Shenmue comes out and I don't know if I will.

From the sounds of things, the series improves after 1 and 2 in regards to cheap bosses.

Also, it doesn't really help you with the truck battle, but make sure you keep fighting Majima. He drops a ridiculous amount of experience and it's really easy to max out your skill charts with experience from him, rather than the random joe battles on the street.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just starting Kiwami now hoping to get it done in time for 2.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Make sure you level up! The techniques will help you in the boss fights.

Use Rush for Shimano, he is a huge pain in the butt!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I found for boss fights the Rush and Beast modes were way more effective that normal blue one. Alternating between the two as required served me well enough never to die towards the end of the game once.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 17th, 2018, 11:16 am I found for boss fights the Rush and Beast modes were way more effective that normal blue one. Alternating between the two as required served me well enough never to die towards the end of the game once.
I only had to do one boss on easy on 0 which was Kuze the first time. Leaned towards Beast at the end with Kiryu but used slugger as Majima throughout his soon as I had it
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote: August 17th, 2018, 11:16 am I found for boss fights the Rush and Beast modes were way more effective that normal blue one. Alternating between the two as required served me well enough never to die towards the end of the game once.
Beast (the yellow one) is quite useful in Kiwami, especially against Majima later in the game when he's doing his bloody breakdancing routine. If you can beef it up, your heat won't go down while you're defending even if you're taking damage. It's a pretty useful skill.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Need to avoid this thread, I couldn't imagine fighting Majima :lol: :x
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Jesus what happened to Majima between 0 and 1!??.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 18th, 2018, 8:56 pm Jesus what happened to Majima between 0 and 1!??.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate...
Alex79uk A Few Months Ago... wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 10:56 pm Ok, so I am about 2 hours in to Yakuza Kiwami, and enjoying it. I really loved Yakuza Zero last year, so it's just nice to be back in that world, with those characters. I have, however, got one single issue with the game so far.

Goro Majima.

In Zero, he was this ultra cool, silently menacing character, who would bend over backwards to help and charm you, but could rip your spine clean out through your skin if he felt like it. In Kiwami he's.... well, he's a dick! It's so jarring so have come from his Zero persona to this irritating clown of a man who you just want to knock out as soon as he opens his mouth.

I mean, what's that all about!? Other than that, yeah good game so far. Slow starting - obviously - but the story is already starting to pick up. Looking forward to getting more in to it.