All things Yakuza (Ryū ga Gotoku)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: All things Yakuza (Ryū ga Gotoku)

Post by Scrustle »

It's almost surprising that the Majima thing hasn't been a bigger deal. How he is in 0 was pretty unusual to how he was characterised in every other game. The idea was supposed to be that 0 showed how he became that character that he was later. In reality, I don't think it did a fantastic job at that. I still really like Majima's side of that story, but as an origin story for him, the dots don't really connect. In the very last cutscene with him they try to make it seem like he adopts that wacky persona to kind of shield himself from the life he has to live, but there isn't really any build-up to that. That said, I think they can sort of get away with that by there being two decades between 0 and the first game/Kiwami. There could have very easily been a more gradual change in that period that we didn't see. Either way, Majima in 0 isn't the "real" Majima. Later games are. Or, mostly.

It's worth noting that there's sort of two Majimas in Kiwami. He acts differently between the scenes carried over from the original game, and the new stuff they added in. In the old cutscenes, he comes across as this wild enigma. Kind of dangerous and unpredictable. Still somewhat comedic, but much more threatening. But then after the first game he became a fan-favourite character, as well as him moving more towards being a "good guy", so they made him more goofy and silly. They played up the clownish antics that people wanted to see, and they leaned in to it really hard in Kiwami especially, with the whole "Majima Everywhere" system. Even without having played the original it's pretty easy to tell what cutscenes are original Majima and which are fan service Majima. Personally, I still like Majima as he is in more recent games, but it does create a jarring discordance in Kiwami, and the lengths the game makes you go to for that Majima Everywhere thing gets pretty tiresome after a while.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Interesting post, thanks!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah cheers for that I suppose myself and Alex are seeing it from the other side of the fence.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Kiryu doesn't have much luck does he :D
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Hmmm Chapter 1 done.

Just had my arse handed to me my Majima, I am presuming he is the equivalent of Mr Shakedown in Zero?.

Nishki seems a bit dodgy now after that Yakuza meeting. Have a bad feeling about him now. Wonder what he has been up to for 10 years....
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 26th, 2018, 7:34 am Just had my arse handed to me my Majima, I am presuming he is the equivalent of Mr Shakedown in Zero?
Not at all, he's an absolute piece of piss to beat after that first encounter. I don't think I ever lost a fight to him.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My god that mourning band quest was terrible!. Not the best design having you need to speak to one guy in a place where 99% of people you talk to gets you thrown out.

Liked fighting Shimano though.

Wonder why Nishki has
Spoiler: show
screwed Kiryu over?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I never really found a satisfying explanation to that other than he was desperate for money because of his sick sister. I'm not sure that actually had anything to do with him fucking over Kiryu though...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: September 3rd, 2018, 1:16 pm
I never really found a satisfying explanation to that other than he was desperate for money because of his sick sister. I'm not sure that actually had anything to do with him fucking over Kiryu though...
Did forget about that. Again it is more after playing Zero it doesn't quite click but I suppose a lot can change in 10 years but
He took the rap for him shooting Dojima
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Some of the new cutscenes in Kiwami do go deeper in to that and make Nishiki a much more fleshed out character. One of the better additions to the game. I would have preferred if they actually got him to interact with Kiryu more, but I guess that wasn't really practical. What is there is good though.

In other news it seems we might actually be getting the samurai-themed spin-offs after all! At this point I had pretty much given up we would ever get them, but they put out a survey attached to Kiwami 2, as they've done with previous games, that all but come out and say they're gauging interest in bringing them over. Would make sense given they're porting over the mainline PS3 games, but I always figured Sega thought those games were "too" Japanese, as well as the branding not really fitting the name "Yakuza". I guess they might just give them their own name, like they've done with the Fist of the North Star game. Kenzan is pretty old now too. Not sure how well that will stand up these days, but I would be happy to give it a go.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Oh shoot, really?! I've always wanted to play Ishin, hopefully it pans out!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Well Yakuza has made me a hate a defenseless puppy :lol: :lol:

Fussy so and so

Up to chapter 5 now
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

No shame in that, got annoyed at it myself. :lol:

Good news above on Ishin in particular if true.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I did the car chase bit Kiwami first time tonight :o

Kiwami is alright it is just every bit of it is inferior to Yakuza 0, literally everything. I have grown to like it more in the later chapters. I have just started Chapter 10 now.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So finished Kiwami.

As said above it is inferior to 0 on every level and 100% agree with Alex re Nishiki
I do not understand him fucking over Kiryu at all on any level, even more so after 0. They should have had more interaction between Kiryu and Nishiki and angled it on Nishiki becoming bitter and jealous for the adulation that Kiryu had for killing Dojima
I did tear up randomly over
Kazama's confession and explanation of Sunflower
Just googled Yakuza to get the correct spelling of Kazama and had the end of Yakuza 6 spoilt :lol:

Got Kiwami 2 ready to go.

Any news on 3 being released?. I have heard it isn't getting a Kiwami style port it is just getting a HD rerelease?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Correct. It's just a port of the PS3 game, but I'm OK with that. I don't believe it had a western release date yet, but it'll definitely be coming.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The "remaster" of 3 is already out in Japan. No release date for the West yet, although it's almost certainly coming. They've been pretty open about them bringing it over, without actually making an official announcement yet. It's kind of a stretch to even call it a remaster though, since it looks like assets are completely untouched, so no better texture or effects. Just higher resolution and frame rate. Just a port really, but I think those improvements will go a long way. Also the original Western PS3 release had a bunch of cut content, which they apparently are keeping this time around.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Man, I hope Yakuza 3/4/5 all come out on PS4. Would love to see people get a second chance at catching up on those. Especially 4!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So started 2 last night and I decided to watch the recap of 1.
I never met Dojimas widow in Kiwami
did I miss something?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I don't remember her ever appearing in K1 either. Looked it up and it looks like she was briefly in one substory near the end (which did sound vaguely familiar reading about it), but that's it.