All things Yakuza (Ryū ga Gotoku)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: All things Yakuza (Ryū ga Gotoku)

Post by DomsBeard »

Scrustle wrote: September 25th, 2018, 12:54 pm I don't remember her ever appearing in K1 either. Looked it up and it looks like she was briefly in one substory near the end (which did sound vaguely familiar reading about it), but that's it.
Ah that makes sense, I did not do many substories in Kiwami. They didn't seem as fun or were as put in front of you as much as 0.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

https://www.play-asia.com/ryu-ga-gotoku ... gKPZPD_BwE

So I am starting to wonder when this will appear in the UK. Would this work on my PS4 Pro?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

All current gen consoles are region free. You might want to learn Japanese before attempting to play this one though...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 26th, 2018, 5:02 pm All current gen consoles are region free. You might want to learn Japanese before attempting to play this one though...
ah :o
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: September 26th, 2018, 4:43 pm https://www.play-asia.com/ryu-ga-gotoku ... gKPZPD_BwE

So I am starting to wonder when this will appear in the UK. Would this work on my PS4 Pro?
Haha just wait a while! You'll get burned out on them!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: September 26th, 2018, 9:05 pm
DomsBeard wrote: September 26th, 2018, 4:43 pm https://www.play-asia.com/ryu-ga-gotoku ... gKPZPD_BwE

Haha just wait a while! You'll get burned out on them!
Well if it isnt out by the time I have finished it I will have to play Tomb Raider or Spiderman :o
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Japanese trailer for the PS4 version of Yakuza 4! As I suspected, they changed the actor portraying Tanimura (the guy in the blue coat), which is a little odd. Still have to get used to it. At least the voice acting is the same though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Lots of info on Yakuza 7 here: http://go.newsfusion.com/gaming-news/item/1545521
IJINCHO WILL BE 3-4 TIMES BIGGER THAN KAMUROCHO & GAME LENGTH WILL DOUBLE?!

Recently, Yakuza 7 was revealed with a new kick-ass trailer! and, thanks to the lastest issue of Famitsu, Ryokutya2089 and siliconera we have some new information on the gameplay change as well as some story details as to how Kasuga, the new protagonist is a different kind of person compared to Kiryu.

Here are the highlights:

• Ichiban Kasuga isn’t the type of one-man army who can singlehandedly charge into the enemy headquarters like Kiryu can. He fights with allies, and the RPG format is a straightforward representation of this.
  • The April Fools joke video was actually quite liked, although whether this was because it wasn’t revealed that this was the true gameplay of the new game is another matter entirely.
  • Part of the reason for the shift is that they wanted to prove that Ryu ga Gotoku Studio could make games other than action-adventure games. The reason it was given a numbered title status was because this is a true mainline Yakuza game that the studio has come up with. While the story flow will match what has been shown in Yakuza Online, character relationships and events are completely different.
  • The total play time of the game will be longer than previous games, and even the main story alone will take double the time to complete. Substories and play spots will give money, EXP, and skills not only to Kasuga but also his other allies.
  • You can decide job classes for all the characters, and some will have job classes that are easier or harder to change into. Enemy encounters are done through symbol encounters. In this game, they don’t plan on blocking off areas you can’t get to due to story purposes. Instead, strong enemies will act as the barriers.
  • Yokohama isn’t controlled by the Tojo Clan or the Omi Alliance, and the reason why will be explained in-game. Ijincho itself is quite different from the real-life counterpart Chojamachi, and is 3-4 times larger than Kamurocho, not including dungeons. Each area of the map will sell equipment of different grades.
  • You will be able to visit Kamurocho at certain spots in the story.
  • Dragon Quest exists in the world of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and other terms like Puff-Puff will also appear in the game. The reason why character appearances change, and why allies appear to suddenly pull out weapons, is because the RPG battles are a figment of Kasuga’s imagination. From a third person’s view, they are fighting normally. The varying appearances of the enemies is a visual representation of the enemies’ strength, a modern day version of how Dragon Quest visually sorts its monsters.
  • During Kasuga’s childhood, the only happy moments in his life was the time he spent playing Dragon Quest. He sees himself as the Hero and wants to set off on an adventure. Kasuga’s ideals of fighting fairly are also influenced by Dragon Quest.
Yakuza: Like A Dragon is set to release for PlayStation 4 in Japan, Korea, and China on 16th January 2020. The game will then release later in 2020 for North America and Europe. The official website for the West is expected to launch soon.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote: September 8th, 2019, 12:02 pm
Damn. I spent about 75 hours on 5 and 0 each. More does not necessarily mean better. Detailed locations have always been a big part of Yakuza. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

5 is (I think) still the biggest game in the series (spread across 5 cities) and two of the new ones in that game seemed to have less attention to detail than the returning Kamurocho and Sotenbori or the city Kiryu starts in.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

ColinAlonso wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 8th, 2019, 12:02 pm
Damn. I spent about 75 hours on 5 and 0 each. More does not necessarily mean better. Detailed locations have always been a big part of Yakuza. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.
So, I am currently 44 hours into Yakuza 0 and it is hands down my favourite open world game I have ever played and the reason for that is that while the two locales in the game are not large they are jam packed with stuff to do. I am currently building my real estate empire and have now become a billionaire and I am so utterly engrossed in this subgame that I have not progressed in the main story for days. Yakuza 0 is fantastic because you can run down one street and can get into fights with hooligans, get drunk at a bar, play darts and help a timid dominatrix to become more confident at her job. It is such satisfying game design that larger worlds are simply unnecessary.

0 is my first foray into the series but I do want to check out other entries if they are this much fun and I hope SEGA knows what it is doing if it is going to expand the world. But honestly, if the design ain't broke why fix it?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've loved the series so far. Only played Zero and the remakes of the first and second game, but it's already one of my favorite series. Kiwami 1 is a little drop in quality from Zero, but Kiwami 2 was even better in my opinion, just a brilliant story and loads of stuff to do.

I'm a little concerned also by them saying the story is twice the length, I feel they're perfect length at the moment. I'm sure I'll get round to 7 eventually though after I've played all the others. I wish they'd bring the ones set in ancient Japan to the West, too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This was published ages ago, but says the 3, 4 and 5 remasters should be available seperately from Feb. This is good for anyone who didn't want / couldn't shell out for the triple pack.

https://themakoreactor.com/news/buy-yak ... /4251/amp/
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Reminder that Zero and the first two Kiwami games are due on gamepass at some point ‘soon’.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I have been very slowly making my way through the Yakuza series, started with 0 then played Kiwami 1 and 2 and the Yakuza 3 remaster along with the first Judgement game.

I started Yakuza 4 a while back and played a few hours. I was enjoying it but there are so many Yakuza games coming out it's impossible to keep up. I'm not interested in the JRPG branch of the games, but still want to play the traditional beat 'em up ones.

So... I was thinking, can I just skip straight to Yakuza 6, missing out 4 and 5? Was there any really important story in those games? I do know a lot of people started with 6. I might go back to 4 and 5 one day, but do you think I'll be missing out by skipping them now?
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

My question would be if you are happy to skip 4 and 5, why aren't you skipping 6 as well and just playing the new ones as and when they get released?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Because there's only one new one since 6 featuring Kiryu and the traditional style of gameplay, and 6 I know is an important part of the story. I think I'm not going to skip them after all though, looking online suggests they're all worth playing. I guess there's no rush!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Do you plan to play The Judgment games? I actually prefer it to the mainline series
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I've played the first one and enjoyed it. I'll play the second if it ever comes to Gamepass or is in a sale for around a tenner.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Alex79 wrote: November 14th, 2023, 4:32 pm So... I was thinking, can I just skip straight to Yakuza 6, missing out 4 and 5? Was there any really important story in those games? I do know a lot of people started with 6. I might go back to 4 and 5 one day, but do you think I'll be missing out by skipping them now?
In terms of strictly necessary story details, there isn't really anything in 4 or 5 that is crucial to 6. You could most likely understand and enjoy it just fine without playing those games. Despite the game starting with a big info dump about characters from those games, they end up playing little to no role in 6 itself. The story is mostly self-contained.

But even so I would say you would be missing out on quite a bit if you didn't play those games. They're a great time, and make up a large chunk of the evolution of the series in that era. They also have some of the best characters and moments in the series. It would be a shame to just skip over them. Also I think Kiryu's arc in 5 does add some context to 6 in where he is in his life at that point. And if you're going to play 5, you should play 4 as well. 5 is one of the few games in the series that does lean heavily on having prior knowledge of characters from the previous game.

The idea of starting with 6 sounds weird though. I've never heard of anyone doing that, and it seems like a strange place to start, being the supposed "end" of a very long running series.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

You've convinced me, I'll stick with 4 and play 5 before 6. I think I'll likely mainline the stories though as, seemingly unlike most other people, I must admit, I'm not really a huge fan of a lot of the side stories.