The Last Guardian

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

The Last Guardian

Post by JaySevenZero »

So, Team Ico's heavily anticipated third offering won't be seen this year as many of us might have hoped and it may, or may not even be with us during 2013. I still have faith that the game will see the light of day but I am starting to wonder if it'll jump to the next gen, maybe even as a PS4 launch title (could potentially be one of the strongest games ever to be on a launch in regards to the levels of publicity it has already garnered) which I don't think would necessarily be a bad thing either.

I personally don't have any issues over which gen it eventually appears and although Ico and SotC weren't perfect games with regards to some of their mechanics, Ueda-san's games have through their distinctive experiences left an indelible mark on me as a gamer, thus making The Last Guardian one game I'll steadfastly remain optimistic about.

In case anyone needs a reminder.

Sean

Re: The Last Guardian

Post by Sean »

I'm still looking forward to it, but, I'm at a point now where, if it is canceled, I wouldn't be too heartbroken about it.

I just don't understand why they haven't shown us anything. I feel like the only people saying "yeah, it still exists" are Sony. Has Ueda actually said anything about the game besides when he announced he left Sony?
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

My anticipation for it has certainly plateaued, and, as Sean said, if it were cancelled I'm now at a point where it wouldn't bother me as much as if it were two years ago.

It's a title that sounds like its tougher to make on PS3 than they though, delaying it until the PS4 may be the smarter move.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

He's said that he's still committed towards the games completion but given no indication as when that will be. I think that the main problem has been simply that Sony rushed into announcing it, giving the audience the sense that it would be available within a year or so from the original trailer release.

Sony did announce that they encountered unforeseen technical problems during its development so I am starting to wonder if maybe a move to more powerful hardware may hold a solution, it's pure speculation on my part as they have never been specific as to what the problems were.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, it really does look like they announced it way too early.

Man, thinking back to when I first saw that trailer. Even that is still pretty stunning, years later. I really hope it does come to fruition.
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

For me, I'm interested to see to what extent Santa Monica and other studios are "contributing" to this game. News is scant, and normally I'm not a complete rhetoric nazi however there's something worrying about 'contributing' to a team ico game. Especially as this will be Ueda's final endeavour with the group.

I'd die a little inside if this game deviates from Ico an SOTC in terms of the minimalist, story driven charm and ideology. Lets hope they simply provide the resources to realise this vision and not contribute to it, or we may be playing a quick time, viscera heavy god of war come the last guardian bastardisation.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

This is the game I'm looking forward to more than any other but I'm more than happy to wait for it to be the best it can. Good shout Jay about this being a next gen title, would make for an amazing launch title.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I believe Studio Santa Monica only got involved purely from a technical standpoint in order to help out with some of the issues they are having.

As well as having made games themselves, they are also one of Sony's support teams for PlayStation development having been involved to varying degrees with Q-Games Pixeljunk series of games and the trio of Thatgamecompany's releases too.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, they worked on Sound Shapes and The Unfinished Swan as well, and there weren't any gory mutilations to be found in those games! :)

Though, it would be kinda funny if that's the kinda stuff they were adding to The Last Guardian. No one will see it coming!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I'm rather doubtful that the game will even come out at all at this point, with all the problems it's been having. It seems like too much for it to have survived to me. Although I haven't heard about other studios helping out with it. That seems like a very strange thing for Team Ico to do. Their games always feel very personal and have a very strong artistic direction to them, not the kind of thing that you would see from a collaboration of studios

But to be honest, although I'm a fan of previous games from the studio, particularly SotC, I was never really that interested by The Last Guardian. They hardly released any news on it, so there wasn't really anything to get excited about. And I've always thought the design for the griffin thing looks kind of stupid. I can't really see myself taking it seriously.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle wrote:And I've always thought the design for the griffin thing looks kind of stupid. I can't really see myself taking it seriously.
:o :(
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I understand where he is coming from (but don't necessarily agree).
One issue is that this game was incredible visually and awe inspiring from a design perspective, but so much has changed since the announcement and show, not just in other games we've seen, but in games we've played. That untouchable level that it once had is gone and now, if it hasn't changed considerably, could find itself needing to be perfect in a games mechanic way (and that's not really ever been Team Ico's forte) and in scale (which is where they have shone in the past).

The result of it all is that the anticipation I once has faded, and whilst, if it does get released, I will be all over it, if it doesn't I no longer feel like I'm missing out on an ambitious project.
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I'll happily wait and wait if I know it will be coming out in the form it was originally intended. I'd rather it was canned than released in a watered down or compromised form. The latter would be heartbreaking.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I think I would be happy now if this game switched to next gen. I suspect it's all gone a bit pear shaped since Ueda-san left Team ICO. I realise he is supposed to stay on as a consultant to finish the game, but it all sounds a little bit like the project has hit a brick wall.

A real shame and I hope it gets finished and we see it on the shiny, shiny PS4.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

NokkonWud wrote:One issue is that this game was incredible visually and awe inspiring from a design perspective, but so much has changed since the announcement and show, not just in other games we've seen, but in games we've played. That untouchable level that it once had is gone and now, if it hasn't changed considerably, could find itself needing to be perfect in a games mechanic way (and that's not really ever been Team Ico's forte) and in scale (which is where they have shone in the past).
I think it's difficult to say this as no-one knows exactly what the gameplay actually is at this point, so it's hard to say that other games have changed our perspective relating to this. Although it is fair to say that general expectations do rise year in, year out with regards to both visuals and mechanics and whether the graphics we saw in those two year old trailer, whilst they are more than enough currently, in eighteen months from now it could be another story. Impossible to say anything about the mechanics at this point until we see or read exactly what they are attempting to do.
LaikaMuttnik

Post by LaikaMuttnik »

As some of you may already know, Ueda-san put this message on his website (fumi.to) yesterday:
To All Interested Parties:

As some of you may have heard, I left Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio some time ago to pursue my creative passions. Nevertheless, I continue working on THE LAST GUARDIAN as a freelance contributor.

While it’s been a long time coming, THE LAST GUARDIAN remains under my creative supervision and is still in development by an incredibly talented team.

I should also mention that details regarding THE LAST GUARDIAN's release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement.

Moving forward, it is my intent to continue my involvement with THE LAST GUARDIAN project, as well as pursue new creative projects with a fresh perspective. As I rekindle my passions as a creator, I look forward to seeing where it will take me, and I deeply appreciate your support during this transition.

Fumito Ueda
Although it has indeed been a long wait for The Last Guardian, I'm just glad with his assuring words and also look forward to whatever other creative project he is going to work on! :)
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

So there's rumours aplenty that the Last Guardian is now going to be a PS4 launch title.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Hopefully we may find out more on Wednesday.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

One for the naysayers out there! :D

I gotta admit, despite fully understanding why it wasn't used, I kinda missed Carter Burwell's Miller Crossing theme.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah I can't wait for this game! Well I can, as I've not got a PS4, but what with this and Fallout 4 I need to get one!