Final Fantasy I - XVI

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
raisinbman

Re: Final Fantasy I - XV

Post by raisinbman »

ff7 remake:

so if you're upgrading ps4 > ps5, you have to specifically search for the upgrade and make sure you have the disc in. Just a PSA

Matt McMuscles just did a 'Wha happun?' on FF7R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBinT4Y6MdM
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

richie_in_japan wrote: February 4th, 2013, 3:45 am So, what combination do you guys recommend I go for? I am thinking maybe FFVII, FFIX and then the War of the Lions for some variety.
Anything from 1-10 is fine - except 8. Don't play anything after 10.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'd play XII before X.

Listen to our podcasts, I'd say, Richie, I wouldn't think that any spoilers would be too ruinous.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 15th, 2021, 9:36 pm I'd play XII before X.
All you have to do is set it up, and XII will play itself for you while you play X on another system. :P
Ben77000000

Post by Ben77000000 »

VIII is well worth playing. It's probably the most experimental/original of all of them. Almost definitely the weirdest. There's a pretty substantial portion of the fanbase that consider VIII's OST Uematsu's best. I think Thomas from the C&R team even said that VIII's music is incredibly sophisticated.
Plus if you figure how to bypass drawing, the tinkering possibilites afforded by the integrated equipment/magic/summon system are second-to-none. Definitely worth a try I think! Even if the characters are mostly unremarkable, sadly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm
richie_in_japan wrote: February 4th, 2013, 3:45 am So, what combination do you guys recommend I go for? I am thinking maybe FFVII, FFIX and then the War of the Lions for some variety.
Anything from 1-10 is fine - except 8. Don't play anything after 10.
I suppose it's all personal preference, but 8 is my second favorite of all the ones I've played (which is most of them, to some degree). I think it had some really interesting mechanics, a fun card game, and a nice look to it. Can't remember the story, but wouldn't mind playing it again some time. 8 really is worth playing, in my opinion.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I like 8 as well. The world is very weird and I find the aesthetic a bit too grim overall, but it plays well enough. I like that the fights scale depending on your level and the draw system can be incredibly exploited. Though it did basically remove magic as a core part of the battle system for me, meaning I relied more on using the GFs.

The story is pretty decent too, though it's incredibly hard to follow at times with all the time travel stuff. But I like how it all comes together at the final moments and I think the ending is one of the strongest in the series.

Of the PS1 era it's definitely bottom of the pile, but that still puts it above most games from that generation.
Eterno

Post by Eterno »

VIII is a very interesting Final Fantasy and I adore it. It's one of the most innovative Final Fantasy and there truly tried so many different systems and settings. Everything felt fresh if you played it at the time, and I think if you played them in order you would also see it stand out. Which is probably the reason why it has been so divisive through the year.
I also agree with Ben that this is probably one, if not the, best work of Uematsu. The OST is incredible and so cohesive, I dare say it's worth playing just for the music. Just listening to it bring backs so many memories and makes me want to create new ones. For all you FF8 OST lovers I can't recommend this orchestra suite enough if you don't know, I must somehow make my way back to it once a month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5OsMJU ... Sg&index=1

That being said, for all the reasons I stated I wouldn't recommend approaching the Final Fantasy series through 8. 10, 9 or 7 are absolutely good entry points and more representative of the series. I would only recommend 12 as an entry point if you like MMORPGs, otherwise I'd put 12 with 8 and 6 as little stand outs and less representative of the series as a whole.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Eterno wrote: June 19th, 2021, 1:45 pm That being said, for all the reasons I stated I wouldn't recommend approaching the Final Fantasy series through 8. 10, 9 or 7 are absolutely good entry points and more representative of the series. I would only recommend 12 as an entry point if you like MMORPGs, otherwise I'd put 12 with 8 and 6 as little stand outs and less representative of the series as a whole.
Spot on there. I think 10 is very approachable, but I'd recommend starting with a game that uses the ATB system as I reckon it'll be a bit jarring taking that step back. From my replays in the last few years I think a lot of the pre-10 games hold up incredibly well. I've still haven't played 5, despite owning it for years. Damn backlog!
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

I've recently got into Final Fantasy after playing 7 remake. So far I've played XV, X, and about five hours of IX. X and IX are both pretty accessible, particularly with the HD remasters. Both have QoL options with IX having nice ones to adjust game speed and turn off encounters. They have aged in some ways but still enjoyable if you go in knowing that.

The biggest pain for me in both games has been random encounters, and that escape is tied to a single character. It's the one thing that puts me off playing these games. X also had an end game difficulty spike and convoluted set of side quests, but there's walkthroughs that can help there.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Some of the newer ports allow you to turn off random encounters, but I've heard squeenix also doesn't do the highest quality ports always...
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

FF VIII's combat is incredibly repetitive (drawing spells gets tiresome), has long summon animations you can't skip (which makes using the summons annoying) and has one of the worst twists in an rpg story that I can think of - which I won't spoil here.

it's the only time I can think of where a game made me rage quit because of the plot.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

ThirdDrawing wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm Anything from 1-10 is fine - except 8. Don't play anything after 10.
I can't let this slide. Final Fantasy 2? :? It's the worst mainline game I've played (all bar 11 and 13) and its not even close.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

The plot is still better than 8's.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Yeah, sure but that's a very low bar, I am not one to defend FF8's story. Final Fantasy 2 is an infuriating game in many other ways (those empty rooms, dear god!) and can't be recommended to anyone entering the series. Its 20 hour playtime felt like 40.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I wouldn't say any of the first three games are great to play now, beyond curiosity.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Alex79uk wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:24 am I wouldn't say any of the first three games are great to play now, beyond curiosity.
I have the PSP remake of FF3 (sadly digital only in the West) and it's pretty good.
Seph

Post by Seph »

I thought the Dawn of Souls versions of the first two on the GBA were decent enough, though I admit to not finishing the first. I guess Stranger of Paradise is basically going to act as some sort of remake of that one anyway.
Minowese

Re: C&R style Final Fantasy VII discussion?

Post by Minowese »

I just started playing Final Fantasy VII again on Steam. I'm very early in (second reactor) but I forgot how much I love it. The music, The Fisher-Price people looking character models. Leaving Marlene in charge of the bar while the adults take care of Mako reactors (that was a choice). I'm sitting here playing it like, wow, I really love this. I've started it a few time but never finished it, I plan to this time! I still have the PS1 demo disc that came with Saya Frontier, Bushido Blade, and Final Fantasy Tactics. It belonged to my brother's girlfriend at the time. She had a PS1 (we just had the N64 I begged for). I'd like to check out that podcast too, once I finish this game. I was glad to come across your post Alex79uk : ) Can't wait to add Yuffie, Vincent, and Cid to my party
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

So I guess this fits here(though we did make it to FF16 already lol).

Super DUper early FF: Evercrisis impressions

This doesn't seem like it's going to be any sort of revolutionary mobile game, or even aiming for the top ones. If you're looking for that, that's probably Honkai Star Rail.

The interface is slightly confusing, and, initially, I wasn't sure where the 'back' button was. For some reason they have it in the top left when I want to say...the majority of touch-based mobile games have an X in the top right(mirroring computers, I'd assume), or will just let you click other places.

It also has in game ads for itself you're forced to watch/click out of. As a former Marvel Puzzle Quest player, it isn't suprising, but it is disappointing. Other monetization includes a battlepass, and if the advertising is to believed, costumes. Can't give the final verdict on monetization and this is just early thoughts ofc.

game definitely is split into smaller chunks, surprisingly so. Good thing since it's a mobile game and all
Much less hard than FFVII remake - I started having trouble w/ the game even on the initial scorpion tank.
the story contents seem to abbreviated, which isn't a minus - just a bit jarring as I'm expecting certain things from ReMake.

Music doesn't seem to be fully FLAC quality from the remake, and it doesn't seem to be wholly from FFVII OG. It seems to go back and forth between playstation-esque soundchip type beats, and actual orchestration. 
Sadly, there is no English VO as far as I can tell - lately FF voice actors from remake and 16 have REALLY been in the spotlight(I thin aerith's VO even played through remake on twitch, tearing up as she heard herself). Without the voice acting, the dialogue is a bit worse, but at least from my perspective, there is some new revelations(such as Cloud's payment for the first reactor being small, and Tifa and Barrett whispering that it's that way because part was for Marlene's schooling, which was not present in the ReMake dialogue). I may have to put a pin in this comment as I just got to some dialogue where Cloud is doing his weird...'I only care about money and am being sarcastic thing' only to get out-sarcastic-ed by Biggs.

You do, seemingly, have to play through FF7 again in order to get to the other FF7 sub-entries that are being retold and/or new stuff.
Again, early thoughts. But yes, it's a FF7 gacha game.