Final Fantasy I - XVI

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Final Fantasy I - XV

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

gallo_pinto wrote:I'm on team FFX. Though the Persona series has sort of taken me away from Final Fantasy for the time being.
I'm not the first to say it, probably won't be the last, but the Persona series has spoiled other JRPG's for me.

And I think the last/most recent FF for me was XIII-2, which I bought because it was dirt cheap and apparently better than part one. I played it through to completion, so I gave it it's fair due. And yeah, whatever, it's not the worst game, and certainly not the best, just meh.

The release of Persona 5 is a far more enticing prospect than any new Final Fantasy game at this point in time. While I feel it's only fair to judge FF XV on its own terms by actually playing it, JRPG's are a bigger time investment than most games, and I've never played a Xenoblade game, so I'd probably want to try that first, get the dust off the old Wii U.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Stanshall wrote:There are three control methods in fact. I reckon you could get away with it with one of them. Certain functions and buttons have alternative ways to do the same, for L3 autorun you could also just hold Circle. For R2 fast item menu, you could just go into the main menu and inventory. Same for map.
Cheers for that.

I had no interest whatsoever on this game (despite being a huge fan of the PS1 trilogy) before it was released, but now all of a sudden I really want it! I don't even know why, I think it's because they were talking about it on Midnight Resistance. Either way, it's now top of my Xmas list.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It is intermittently great and then really boring, and I mean boring. When you're out and about on a quest it's really good but when you're driving somewhere, you feel like you're clock watching. There's very little joy in exploration, almost none, in fact. It's as bare as the open world of MGSV. The cut scenes and bro chat are also largely quite shit. It's an odd one. I don't regret the full price purchase as I do with Titanfall, which I enjoyed much more in many ways, but I wouldn't recommend it as a must play. It's literally a don't have to play.
Joshihatsumitsu

ThirdMan wrote:Final Fantasy XV is my first game in the series (with the exception of a very brief session of FFVII back in the day). I don't know what to make of it. Route 66 diners, Havana-style towns, chicken-horses, royal bloodlines that appear to have no genetic link to each other whatsoever. It's just strange, strange, strange.
That opening paragraph just made me laugh a little. :lol: If they had advertised the game that way I would have been drawn more to it!

I think like a lot of people FF7 on the PS1 was my very first FF experience. There was a bit of a gap between the first time I completed that game, and attempting to play through it again many years later. It was not a smooth experience, and I stopped playing the second time around.

I may attempt FF8 again. I think I'm on the second disc, 'Tis been a while. I do have FF X on my shelf... I remember an underwater sport game thingy... also didn't finish that one.

So that make FF 7 and XIII-2 the only FF games I've played through to completion! I think that says more about me than the games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah 7 and 8 are the only ones I've ever finished. I've played all of them up to 10, and also 13. Never finished any of the others though, 6 I especially ought to go back to.
Joshihatsumitsu

Alex79uk wrote:Yeah 7 and 8 are the only ones I've ever finished. I've played all of them up to 10, and also 13. Never finished any of the others though, 6 I especially ought to go back to.
I just realised I have 6 as well. I forgot because I bought the PSN version, and it's sitting unplayed on my many PlayStation systems. I can now not play games on multiple systems! What a wonderful time we live in...

And another version I completely forgot I own is the first FF game, and the reason I forgot is because it is the Wonderswan version! So it's all in Japanese, and I mainly got it because it made for a good Japanese souvenir. I couldn't imagine actually playing that game on the non-backlit Wonderswan Colour screen, but boy, I love owning it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Pretty sure you can play 1 through 10 on Vita now, it's where I started playing 6 last year when my left stick broke and I was looking for D-pad only games haha.
Joshihatsumitsu

Alex79uk wrote:Pretty sure you can play 1 through 10 on Vita now, it's where I started playing 6 last year when my left stick broke and I was looking for D-pad only games haha.
I like you're problem solving skills!

I like that there are not only a decent library of PS1 games at a decent price, but that there occasionally (though not often enough) NTSC versions of those games. That difference doesn't really matter too much with a JRPG though, as it's a huge time investment anyway.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sounds like you might be interested in Freedom Wars, but I couldn't get in to that personally. Soul Sacrifice is another to look at. Artistically closer to the Dark Souls games, and more fantasy based. Lots of magic and monsters, I got really far in to that before drifting away from it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I have really struggled to maintain momentum with this. I suppose news about the story being patched down the line made me much less inclined to make progress but I've lost enthusiasm for just fannying around with some Monster Hunter Lite antics and I think a big part of it comes down to the characters.

The main group are an absolute set of bell ends. They exhibit almost no humanity or charm or any recognisable reason to care for their mission or relationship. This is not supposed to be insulting but it feels like they've been designed by a focus group of teenage girls who watch a lot of anime and Korean soaps. You've got the raw testosterone grunt of the meat head, the goofy tartan wearing turn-up jeans Instagram clown (no doubt suffered a traumatic childhood or has a tragic end ahead), the bespectacled afternoon tea refined nerd genius, and the emo cipher who I barely know anything about, and care even less. They are a cut-and-paste collection of tired clichés, not characters, and every line of dialogue serves only to reinforce the one personality trait they have. I just wish I had enough control of the car to drive it into a volcano.

Sorry, just had to get it off my chest. Great world, combat is actually quite fun once you get going, story and characters are both absolutely awful.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Beautiful rant. So you like them then, yeah?
:lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Great bunch of lads!

I just attempted a mission which started with a long drive, then a 'search' for a monster's lair which involved following the on-screen map markers, followed by one of those 'don't get too close' walking stealth sections which went on for about five minutes, no kidding, just walking, not too close, not too far away, the kind of thing they would use to assess the cognitive function in infant chimps, just such an insulting waste of the player's time. There were three of those Lara Croft 'squeezing through a gap' asset loading sections. I finally reached the fight and got killed in about five seconds because my mates told me I had to blow up some barrels rather than fight it, but when I ignited the barrels I blew up my mates, because they were trying to fight it. Almost poetic, in a way.

Just a reminder that it's currently on sale on PSN!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:

Despite your glowing review, I'd still quite like to play it.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Stanshall wrote: my mates told me I had to blow up some barrels rather than fight it, but when I ignited the barrels I blew up my mates, because they were trying to fight it. Almost poetic, in a way.
"died in a freak gasoline fight accident" springs to mind.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yes, an 'accident'.

Officer.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

My FF history is a bit all over the place, and thinking on it, I've never actually beaten a mainline game.

I will say people should totally give X-2 a chance for the gameplay. Super fun.

I ended up over my friend's house after school, and between him and his brother they had alot of square stuff, which was cool. I couldn't afford it all myself, so I at least got to see parts of 8, 10, X-2. Unfortunately, it wasn't my game so I would miss pretty big chunks of things as he actually played in his spare time himself - he would consult me for harder parts sometimes(which is strange, because at that point I mashed just as much as him in Guilty Gear, trust me!). Then there was the fact that when I played FF8 on his Mac, the save kept deleting(I guess, looking back, he was deleting it? or Macs suck? ) so I never made it far there. I've sort of detailed in how my TV time was limited on this forum before, but I only spent a short amount of the school day actually at home with access to a TV. Ultimately, I think that influenced my purchases, and the fact that I've only completed FF side games:

FFTactics, Tactics Advance, A2, X-2. I do have I think III on the DS, but it's a bit of a slog as much as I love job systems. Might be worth revisiting when I'm desperate for an exercise bike game or something.

Strangely enough, all of those involve a job system!

I did actually come pretty close to beating X and made some progress in XII, but my PS3 broke. Twice.

I was only really concerned with getting the perfect ending in X-2, so I used an exploit where if a character was holding an item that powered them up if they were low health(which you got fairly early in the game, and IIRC multiple of), each hit they did did 9999 damage. So pop it on a class skill like the (Gunslinger's?) Trigger Happy, where you do as many hits as fast as you can press a trigger button, and even the final boss can be beat fairly easily. This was fixed for international versions, and although I like having the easy mode, international version also had new classes which I was jealous of.

Wish C&R wasn't done with the series as it'd be cool to go back to some of these now that I am free from broken PS3s and remasters and remakes and rereleases are out there.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I think the multiple volumes long series we did left a lot of folks on the team exhausted, but I know that enough of the other entries have champions that we'll likely cover them at some point.

Final Fantasy: Tactics may not be next volume, but it will almost certainly get an issue eventually.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Good to hear, but I'm not fussed over it - I'm busy w/ Persona 5 royal and in no rush. C&R has plenty of hours left in my podcast feed as is
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

raisinbman wrote: September 28th, 2020, 8:09 pm FFTactics, Tactics Advance, A2, X-2. I do have I think III on the DS, but it's a bit of a slog as much as I love job systems.
Have you played V? III's job system is quite basic compared to V. V is much closer to Tactics (though the tone of the game is more like A2) and the sprite based nature of it makes it less of a slog even though its longer than the DS version of III.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

no i haven't...I do plan on touching the FFs as I have for a long, long time. I WAS playing 10, but my ps3 broke. Right now I'm not hurting for games at all but job systems in V puts it more favorably in my books, yeah.