Final Fantasy I - XVI

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
mikeleddy83

Re: Final Fantasy Advice

Post by mikeleddy83 »

DomsBeard wrote:XII is worth a shout as its OST and combat system are great plus there are some absolute bastard boss fights in there too
Thanks, was quite nervous to put my balls on the line and say it's good! Glad to have backup :D
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Can't say a bad word about 12, after hating 10 and dodging 11 due to a lack of interest in MMO's, 12 passed me by. Then I tried 13, and that was the end of that curiosity.
DomsBeard

Re: Final Fantasy - the core series (I to XIII-2)

Post by DomsBeard »

XIII's very average. I finished it and so did my wife so I picked up XIII-2 and after watching her play it I've got no desire to really.

XIII does have a brilliant cut scene though was blown away at the time:

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I heard IV is great and was remade for the GBA. Its one of those series which passed me by completely other than borrowing a friends copy of 7 and enjoying it a bit until I got the buggy. Eugh.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I picked up Final Fantasy IV for the PSP in the sale. I've played it for a few hours now and I think it's great.
From what I've heard I'm in the boring bit at the start so I'm looking forward to it getting amazing.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

mikeleddy83 wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:XII is worth a shout as its OST and combat system are great plus there are some absolute bastard boss fights in there too
Thanks, was quite nervous to put my balls on the line and say it's good! Glad to have backup :D
I never finished a FF game but the one I came the closest was 12 and I really liked my time with it but apparently every FF fan hates it glad im not alone in liking it :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

Todinho wrote:
mikeleddy83 wrote:
I never finished a FF game but the one I came the closest was 12 and I really liked my time with it but apparently every FF fan hates it glad im not alone in liking it :D
I really want to try 12. I've mainly heard good things about it.
I'll be needing a new PS2 though. Mine's been struggling with some games for a while now.
I am loving 3D platformers and console RPGs at the moment so I should just do it.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Picked up FF Tactics for £4, an absolutely brilliant game. When the original never came out here, I imported it and put 30/40 hours into it. Apart from one bitch of a fight (that if you haven't a backup save for, can make the game impossible to complete), it's superb. Shame the Gameboy Advance version utterly wrecked it with the bloody stupid Judge system. This round: you can't heal! Or use swords! Or black magic. Fucking insane.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Whereas I got well into FFTA and completed all 300 missions. However that save file issue you mention in the original halted my progress. I assume they fixed that in the War of the Lions PSP version..?

I still have FFTA2 to play.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I finished FFTA's story, but the Judge system definitely made it less enjoyable than the original. I guess it was there to make you try different abilities, but it just ended up frustrating me. Think one fight had a "no revives" rule, which made the fight much harder than it should have been. Also, some fights restricted how many people were on your team, just because the enemy squad had more members than usual. It rarely happened, but that with a "no swords" etc clause kept me thinking "you didn't have this shit in the original".
Still, then I played Onimusha Tactics Advance, and the GBA was forgiven because that game was brilliant :lol:
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

Cheers for all the advice guys. Eventually went for Tactics and FFIX. Money left in the wallet but pretty sure they'll ride me over for a good while. Not started either but booted them up to check they run ok and they look great on the Vita screen.
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

*tide me over. Damn iPhone. :oops:
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I really should replay 9 again someday, I loved it from start to finish. The only issue I had was with the optional secret boss, that kept using a cheap attack that kills your entire team.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Just ordered XII and a component cable for my PS2.
I hope my PS2 survives long enought to play it.
I need to buy a new one anyway so I can play Yakuza.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

What the hell has happened to the HD remake of FFX, wasn't it meant to be out by now or have square cancelled it?

My history with the series is: Loved FF7, Didn't enjoy 8, Liked 9, Adored 10, Didn't play 11 or 12, Liked the combat mechanics in 13 but not a lot else.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Don't think it's been mentioned for ages, though to be fair I found X quite boring, so if it has been cancelled i wouldn't mind.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

As we were chatting about FFXIII on the news thread (and rudely disrupting the flow of TGS news ;)). I thought I'd bump this so we can continue the conversation in a safe place.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice. Just waiting for Flabyo to entertain us here with a rant (hopefully!)

Maybe a mod could move the FF talk from the Videogame news thread here?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I have to say, these new Final Fantasy games are looking seriously appealing. They're usually the type of game that totally puts me off, but both XV and Type-0 HD look very impressive. I even read a little about FF Explorers from TGS as well, and even that sounds pretty cool. It's quite baffling actually. If you told me just a short while ago, or pretty much at any point in my gaming career, that I would be looking forward to three Final Fantasy games at once, I would never believe it.