The Shenmue trilogy

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: The Shenmue trilogy

Post by Alex79 »

Some games you can, but not all.

I've got a first gen and when it works it's great, but there are times where its just not worth bothering the performance is so poor. More often than not its OK, though. I've never been convinced our broadband is the quality Virgin claim it is, but am far too apathetic/lazy to do anything about it.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’m nearing the end of the sequel (I think) as it seems to be ramping up in difficulty.

I hate the QTE variant they have introduced in the sequel. It is awful.

Who decided it was a good idea to
Spoiler: show
put multiple QTEs in one of the most difficult boss fights. I haven’t felt this furious since heavenly sword
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Shenmue might not have invented the QTE, but it’s the reason everyone went nuts using them for way too many years.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Simonsloth wrote: September 6th, 2018, 9:16 pm I’m nearing the end of the sequel (I think) as it seems to be ramping up in difficulty.

put multiple QTEs in one of the most difficult boss fights. I haven’t felt this furious since heavenly sword
Is it the
Master Baihu fight in the cage?
:lol: remember that put me in a rage back then. Loved that fight though
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've been playing Shenmue for about 3 hours and haven't had a fight yet! I take it you don't just get in random battles like in Yakuza then? So far I've been wandering around looking for info on the three blades, now trying to locate sailors.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: September 7th, 2018, 10:25 am I've been playing Shenmue for about 3 hours and haven't had a fight yet! I take it you don't just get in random battles like in Yakuza then? So far I've been wandering around looking for info on the three blades, now trying to locate sailors.
No you probably have less than 10 fights in Shenmue if I remember right?. Loads more in 2. Good luck finding those sailors :o
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

DomsBeard wrote: September 7th, 2018, 10:24 am
Simonsloth wrote: September 6th, 2018, 9:16 pm I’m nearing the end of the sequel (I think) as it seems to be ramping up in difficulty.

Is it the
Master Baihu fight in the cage?
:lol: remember that put me in a rage back then. Loved that fight though
Yes!

The actual fight is great but there were plenty of times I emptied his health bar without being hit
only to lose the first QTE over and over again as I was still in the middle of a combo so pressed the wrong button! Then when I saw the second one I wanted to cry. Not sure if this is a spoiler or not?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Generally, a game like this I'll play in Japanese with English subs, but the English dub of this game is so genuinely funny and entertaining, I'm finding it's such a huge part of the games charm, that I'm playing with it on.

Anyone else?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: September 8th, 2018, 7:36 pm Generally, a game like this I'll play in Japanese with English subs, but the English dub of this game is so genuinely funny and entertaining, I'm finding it's such a huge part of the games charm, that I'm playing with it on.

Anyone else?
I played both with the Japanese audio but started the first game with the english dub out of curiosity.

Interestingly all of the western characters in the game have terrible voice acting in the Japanese version of the original too. They also seem to speak almost delboy style Japanese (throwing in English words almost every sentence). Tom is laughable in both.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

New trailer for Shenmue 3!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... t-gameplay

All looks very 'Shenmuey' (love those NPCs!), so is right on track for me!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 11th, 2019, 1:58 pm New trailer for Shenmue 3!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... t-gameplay

All looks very 'Shenmuey' (love those NPCs!), so is right on track for me!
Yes it looks great. Would love to hear the English dub though as I probably would have to play it through on that for the first time. :)
Sinclair Gregstrum

DomsBeard wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:26 pm Yes it looks great. Would love to hear the English dub though as I probably would have to play it through on that for the first time. :)
I'm sure the dub will be dreadful - as it should be!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:28 pm
DomsBeard wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:26 pm Yes it looks great. Would love to hear the English dub though as I probably would have to play it through on that for the first time. :)
I'm sure the dub will be dreadful - as it should be!
hmmm I see
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really need to go back to the second game. I think I'm going to struggle remembering where I'm at with it.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Really positive impressions on Shenmue 3 from Matt Robinson over at Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... disappoint

This is exactly what I am expecting and wanting - a time capsule love letter to fans that will be obtuse and archaic to everyone else. The game wouldn't exist without us, so it's right that it doubles down on making us happy.

Roll on 19th November!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: October 1st, 2019, 9:59 am Really positive impressions on Shenmue 3 from Matt Robinson over at Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... disappoint

This is exactly what I am expecting and wanting - a time capsule love letter to fans that will be obtuse and archaic to everyone else. The game wouldn't exist without us, so it's right that it doubles down on making us happy.

Roll on 19th November!
Sounds perfect to me.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I expect it’s going to get some pretty rough reviews, but this really is a case of ‘those that want it, want it like that’.

The rest of us are quite happy to never play any of them ever again... :)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Flabyo wrote: October 1st, 2019, 12:52 pm I expect it’s going to get some pretty rough reviews, but this really is a case of ‘those that want it, want it like that’.

The rest of us are quite happy to never play any of them ever again... :)
I'm definitely expecting review scores all over the place. As long as it's getting somewhere in the 7-9 range from genuine Shenmue fans, then YS Net have done their job. Having said that, for those of us who have been waiting this long reviews will be largely irrelevant. Even if it got blanket 1/10 scores I'd still play it!

20-something games journo/influencer types will likely be giving it a pasting I imagine, and that's ok. It was never meant for them any way!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It is 100% of its time. I remember Leon having an interesting time with it and although I love it dearly I couldn't disagree with anything he said.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Absolutely. The games are full of design choices and gameplay mechanics that in this day and age just don't hold up, and I can completely see why someone coming to the games now would have a tough time accepting them.

But of almost any game I've ever played, Shenmue has the ability to cast a weird spell on me. I played the first one again a few months back, and I still found it intoxicating despite it's flaws. Just started a replay of no.2 ahead of the new release, and again it's got me!

Shenmue is rose-tinted nostalgia crack at it's most potent!